98%
ITV
2%

Total votes: 105
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: WC2010 - as seen on TV

by Dirk Gently » 16 Jun 2010 20:38

This article sums it up nicely. http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39The-level-of.6364084.jp

Tom English: 'The level of punditry is patronising and insulting'

IT'S FAIR to say that it's not just ITV that has taken some stick for some of their coverage at this World Cup, particularly the coverage of the tournament's lesser lights. The BBC have been getting it in the neck as well. To give you an example, what I'm talking about here is things like Alan Shearer's self-proclaimed "expert analysis" that amounts to a conveyor belt of cliches and the kind of insight that even a child of six would describe as laughable

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 16 Jun 2010 21:15

Dirk Gently This article sums it up nicely. http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39The-level-of.6364084.jp

Tom English: 'The level of punditry is patronising and insulting'

IT'S FAIR to say that it's not just ITV that has taken some stick for some of their coverage at this World Cup, particularly the coverage of the tournament's lesser lights. The BBC have been getting it in the neck as well. To give you an example, what I'm talking about here is things like Alan Shearer's self-proclaimed "expert analysis" that amounts to a conveyor belt of cliches and the kind of insight that even a child of six would describe as laughable

on the same page...

Before the Algeria versus Slovenia game in Group C on Sunday, Shearer seemed to be speaking for the entire BBC panel when he said, "Our knowledge of these two teams is limited." Limited! What the former England striker was saying was that he hadn't done his homework, that he hadn't spoken to any of his vast array of contacts in the game, hadn't tapped into the BBC's huge research machinery, hadn't even bothered, seemingly, to peruse the internet for some background on Algeria and Slovenia or even flick through a newspaper or a magazine. Shearer was content to sit in front of the cameras and tell the viewers that, really, he didn't know much.

To be fair, it's not just them. Pretty much the whole sports media in this country is the same. None of them think even the slightest degree of research is required. They all believe their opinions and assumptions are all that's required.

You can really just think back to all the predictions about us having no chance when we got promoted, squarely because we didn't have players they'd heard of.

As it happens I got in touch with that same producer of Match of the Day I mentioned earlier and said that in the opening day of the season programme, when they were discussing the chances of the three promoted clubs, shouldn't the pundits have made some effort to actually familiarise themselves with the teams. His reply was that tipping Reading to struggle was reasonable, as the previous year's champions, Sunderland, had struggled badly.

Calling it lazy doesn't do the word justice.

I was out in Germany for the last world cup, and watched a fair number of games in a pub in Frankfurt. Being something of a crossroads for the country, Frankfurt was packed with fans of many nations. Being around them, and watching BBC/ITV pundits struggle to think of a single thing to say about half of the teams there, was just embarrassing.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 17 Jun 2010 01:01

What I thouroughly decent article.

I think that the problem with the WC punditry is that most people in the UK have never really experienced any decent punditry on the TV (5 Live however is excellent) so accept this crap as the norm. However I disagree with Rev A in that this level of journalism is the same across all sports media, it can improve. Take the following examples;

1) The cricket on Sky where the panel know about all cricketing nations including the relative minnows Bangladesh. Each pundit takes a turn to play the role of 'analyst' and provide real insight into the game and tactics employed. The superb Simon Hughes also does this on Channel 4.

2) The rugby on Sky is also to be applauded. Morris, Barnes, Greenwood and whichever foreign ex-pro is employed at the time all know their stuff and, as with the cricket, they have an 'analyst'.

3) Ok, I said football's alway been bad, but Football Italia on Channel 4 used to be fantastic employing a presenter, James Richardson, who was fluent in the local language and would often do a review of the papers before games. Quite why this man hasn't anchored a show on the BBC yet must be the biggest farse in television.

That's only 3 examples off the top of my head but there are more...

I think one of the main problems with football punditry now is that if anybody offers an opinion that lasts more than 10 seconds then they are cut off by the host who then presents the next 'expert' with a closed question... 'That was a good goal wasn't it Alan?'...! Do they think that as viewers we don't have the attention spans to stick with longer answers?! To my mind the best pundits, as aluded to in the comments section of that article, are the ones that can break down the tactics and not tell you what you already know. Martin O'Neill when not rushed by Lineker can do this, as can the affable and fair Craig Brown. Unfortunately for Brown however he is not a big enough name so the BBC and ITV opt for the likes of Shearer. If presenters (or more likely producers) weren't so fussed about catchy soundbites or pub type analysis then we might get a decent show.

As for the crux of the issue discussed, the lack of research, it really is quite embarrassing. In any form of consultancy, research or academic work this is a pre-requisite for good work. If you don't do it you don't get repeat business or a good grade. Sadly ITV is so bad that the BBC don't feel the need to up their game either.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 17 Jun 2010 11:24

Its mentioned in that article but a hint of research coupled with the insight that these people could give could make a massive difference.

As it is, any hint that they've read up on what they're about to comment on is treated with derision.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 17 Jun 2010 11:59

let's be honest it's because football is a game for plebs

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Jun 2010 12:32

Wax Jacket let's be honest it's because football is a game for plebs

There's something in that I think.

It's a spot-on article and TV coverage of the WC is an absolute disgrace. I don't know much about rugby but I do about cricket and level of insight is just ocean-deep compared to the shit that the TV pundits trot out.

Townsend the other day - "If he wants to score then he really needs to be hitting the target".

Err, no shit you absolute cockpiece. I listen to 5Live on the way home a fair bit and it's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything on TV.

Magnus

by Magnus » 17 Jun 2010 12:35

fairfucks to BBC digital where you have the choice between TV and radio commentry

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 17 Jun 2010 12:47

Maguire
Wax Jacket let's be honest it's because football is a game for plebs

There's something in that I think.

Seconded!

Maguire I listen to 5Live on the way home a fair bit and it's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything on TV.

I listened to 5Live for the first time this WC whilst making dinner last night. They had a lengthy discussion with Guillem Ballague, an excellent Spanish journalist who gave a very interesting view of Cesc Fabregas' role in the Spanish squad. Ok, he's on Sky occasionally but why is he not on mainstream TV for the WC. Perhaps the 5Live producers need to be replacing their TV counterparts.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 17 Jun 2010 12:49

Maguire Townsend the other day - "If he wants to score then he really needs to be hitting the target".

Err, no shit you absolute cockpiece. I listen to 5Live on the way home a fair bit and it's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything on TV.

Even that's way better than Lawro last night.
Commentator: So how do you go about stopping Forlan? Man mark him?
Lawro: Possibly.
<Silence while commentator waits for further expert insight>

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 17 Jun 2010 14:03

Magnus fairfucks to BBC digital where you have the choice between TV and radio commentry

Absolutely. R5 have been top notch as always.

Sounding like a stuck record, the Beeb need to have a word with their F1 colleagues on how to put together a pre and post match show.

Magnus

by Magnus » 17 Jun 2010 14:06

Can't really speak for ITV as I never watch it, but it strikes be that BBC sports problem is that once someone has got the gig (lets say Alan Shearer, Peter Schmeichel et al), like the rest of the public sector, it seems they've got it for life. Same is true on BBC radio (although more so on the music side than the sports side tbf)

I'm all for giving new "talent" a go but once you've had Alan Shearer for one tournament why invite him back? Are they hoping he's suddenly going to get a personality of some description? They just need to be more ruthless.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 17 Jun 2010 14:58

What really has unnerved me is the TV companies insistance on having a token black pundit - even if he has no affiliation to the teams playing. They might as well invite Bert Kwok along when North or South Korera are playing.

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 17 Jun 2010 15:22

Royal With Cheese What really has unnerved me is the TV companies insistance on having a token black pundit - even if he has no affiliation to the teams playing. They might as well invite Bert Kwok along when North or South Korera are playing.

Yes but at least Adebayor is pretty to look at. I actually like listening to him- I can see why they think they might get some insight, he is at least from West Africa you would expect him to have some understanding of Cote D'Ivoire and Nigeria...and his accent is adorable.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Jun 2010 15:32

Murked myself a bit here as i've just tried to watch NIG v GRE with Radio 5 commentary and it turned out to be a bird :x

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 17 Jun 2010 15:34

GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Jun 2010 15:34

OOF! I've got no massive beef with any BBC pundits, but I could probably cope if I never heard former Royal Martin Keown's voice again

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 17 Jun 2010 16:14

In fairness Lee Dixon gives a good insight and Mick McCarthy is funny (and honest) when co-commentating.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Jun 2010 16:27

TBM In fairness Lee Dixon gives a good insight and Mick McCarthy is funny (and honest) when co-commentating.

Although Lee Dixon insisted on referring to West Germany on Sunday night at least twice before someone obviously reminded him he was 20 years out.

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 17 Jun 2010 16:42

BBC lost the HD picture during Greece v Nigeria. The picture broke up and it seemed to be in SD for about 20 minutes but they got away with it.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 17 Jun 2010 17:25

^ LOL @ HD, the Emperor's New Clothes of television. Do you get free magic beans if you buy an HD tv?

Maguire Murked myself a bit here as i've just tried to watch NIG v GRE with Radio 5 commentary and it turned out to be a bird :x

I don't think that Jacqui Oatley is all that bad tbh. Oatley > Drury > Tyldesley.

166 posts