Re: Portsmouth Admin

by Row Z Royal » 05 Aug 2010 16:33

Genuinely can't believe that.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 05 Aug 2010 16:34

Oh what a surprise, wish I could say this is a total shock :roll:

When's the appeal going to be heard? If its tomorrow by the same judge what's the point?
Last edited by Barry the bird boggler on 05 Aug 2010 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 05 Aug 2010 16:35

oxf*rd

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 05 Aug 2010 16:35

I can't get my head around that. What haven't we been told about, as it looks cast iron from where I'm sitting?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 05 Aug 2010 16:37

Now I'm not sure what HMRC were actually challenging.

I can understand if the judge disagrees about whether the CVA was dodgy, but what about all the tax dodging?

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 05 Aug 2010 16:38

Barry the bird boggler Oh what a surprise, wish I could say this is a total shock :roll:

When's the appeal going to be heard? If its tomorrow by the same judge what's the point?

I would guess that tomorrow's hearing would be on whether HMRC have permission to appeal to the court of appeal, rather than being a full blown appeal in itself.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 05 Aug 2010 16:41

Well what a shock.

I think I'm going to delay paying my company's corporation tax, PAYE, NI and VAT and use HMRC vs Pompey as a test case when I get hauled into court. Bet it won't take 2 years though.

Totally predicatable yet utterly incomprehensible all at once.

General B
Hob Nob Regular

by General B » 05 Aug 2010 16:42

What a cunting disgrace.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 05 Aug 2010 16:47

If what Pompey have done is Legal then just fold the league.

cunters

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 05 Aug 2010 16:50

Looks like hmrc's tactic of focusing on the "fairness" of the cva backfired, if they had hard numbers regarding how much they were really owed then there is no way they could have lost... or they did but the court doesn't think off-shore accounts = tax dodging.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 05 Aug 2010 16:51

lolz @ the notion they just go "hey that's not fair, can we come back tomorrow for another go?"

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 05 Aug 2010 16:53

This was the ideal opportunity to make an example of Portsmouth FC and a warning to all the other football clubs out there currently operating outside of their means financially...until someone is found guilty then too many teams will continue to operate almost illegally...

In a way I am glad we seem to be financially stable, but how are we supposed to be in a position to compete against teams who spend money they don't actually have, yet they can get away with it???

:evil:

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 05 Aug 2010 16:56

I know some people would think this as melodramatic, but I really don't think I can bring myself to go on Saturday now.

This goes beyond RFC. I simply cannot support - financially and morally - a system that basically now has legal confirmation it's a law unto itself. A system that gets away with paying astronomical wages yet not have to pay the taxes on those wages. A system that relegates me and fellow ordinary supporters who pay through the nose to watch its product at the lowest end of the food chain, people who in the real world have to obey the laws they have so flagrantly and brazenly ignored.

After the MPs expenses, bankers, golden handshakes for mega-failures theres this.

Well done, Justice Mann. You've just sent a great message to all of us working our bollocks off day in day out, abiding by what we thought was the law of the land, that we should know our place. Thanks.
Last edited by Who Moved The Goalposts? on 05 Aug 2010 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 05 Aug 2010 16:56

No Appeal. WTF :shock:

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 05 Aug 2010 16:58

Who Moved The Goalposts? I know some people would think this as melodramatic, but I really don't think I can bring myself to go on Saturday now.

This goes beyond RFC. I simply cannot support - financially and morally - a system that basically now has legal confirmation it's a law unto itself. A system that gets away with paying astronomical wages yet not have to pay the taxes on those wages. A system that relegates me and fellow ordinary supporters who pay through the nose to watch its product at the lowest end of the food chain, people who in the real world have to obey the laws they have so flagrantly and brazenly ignored.

After the MPs expenses, bankers, golden handshakes for mega-failures theres this.

Well done, Justice Mann. You've just sent a great message to all of us working our bollocks off day in day out, abiding by what we thought was the law of the land, that we should know our place. Thanks.

+1, couldn't have put it better myself.

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 05 Aug 2010 16:59

Turns8 This was the ideal opportunity to make an example of Portsmouth FC and a warning to all the other football clubs out there currently operating outside of their means financially...until someone is found guilty then too many teams will continue to operate almost illegally...

In a way I am glad we seem to be financially stable, but how are we supposed to be in a position to compete against teams who spend money they don't actually have, yet they can get away with it???

:evil:

The courts aren't interested in making an example or sending a warning to other clubs. Ultimately it comes down to whether HMRC could prove concretely how much money they are owed, which they clearly couldn't.

The whole rules need to be changed regarding teams going into administration. The rule that football creditors should be paid above the taxman is ridiculous and the legality of it much be questionable. If this was the banking industry and banks were paying each other off become the taxman there would be uproar. Why should it be any different for football?

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 05 Aug 2010 17:00

Who Moved The Goalposts? I know some people would think this as melodramatic, but I really don't think I can bring myself to go on Saturday now.

I know what you mean - these were the fukkers who didn't turn up against Fulham because their debt-sodden dream had taken them all the way to Wembley. Hence we end up relegated (yes, I know it's 99% our fault) and have subsequently had to cut our cloth in order to survive. It's enough to make you want to boycott the top end of the game. But then who'll suffer? Our own team. Again.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 05 Aug 2010 17:03

One Beer is never enough. No Appeal. WTF :shock:

They know they are beaten, there's no piercing the football industry with their spurious claims that football clubs should pay the tax they owe.

753 posts