The Non - League thread

10616 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Non - League thread 2010/11

by Royal Rother » 21 Aug 2010 20:43

After the shambles of Tuesday's 4-0 home defeat W&E put up a decent performance against Leamington and won 1-0.

Both our goals this season have been scored by Michael Chennells who is just coming to the end of a 3 or 4 week trial at Brentford. We need him but the money would be welcomed if they do sign him.

Incidentally we have a player whio reminds me a lot of Andre Bikey - same colour, same hair, same temperament. Fiston Manuella. He's picked up many red cards in his career, has done time for headbutting a player whilst playing for Staines, but looks like he can play a bit. He doesn't look entirely fit yet but if he keeps his discipline could be a big player for us.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 21 Aug 2010 20:56

Royal Rother Fiston Manuella.

Seen this guy play a couple of times.

Without doubt the best named player i have ever come accross!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 21 Aug 2010 20:57

If you like your Domino's Pizzas then Fleet Town is the place to be. £2 for a piping hot cheese and tomato pizza at half time. Brilliant piece of work that. Nice clubhouse but sadly no real ale but they do stock bottled London Pride.

2-0 win for Bognor with two stunning strikes in the second half. Next Saturday it is FA Cup time again and I will be avoiding the wasps at Binfield.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Aug 2010 22:14

Terminal Boardom Fleet Town -v- Bognor Regis Town for me this arvo. I remember seeing Fleet play at Fanrborough many years ago in an FA Cup preliminary round. Boro won something like 4-0. Match report and opinions on the clubhouse, facilities etc to follow :D

Refereeeing on that pitch is bloody hard work. Up the flippin hill and wide to boot.

Miserable chairman though.

Stuffed Crust Pizza

by Stuffed Crust Pizza » 21 Aug 2010 22:52

Last Tuesday I took in Maidenhead United miserable display at York Road, going down 3-0 to a young. well organised Braintree Town. For anyone who is interested I've updated my blog at http://berkshop.blogspot.com/.

My next foray into the Non-League scene will probably be this Tuesday's fixture at Scour's Lane as RTFC take on Kidlington.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 22 Aug 2010 10:31

Rev Algenon Stickleback H Gloucester currently ground-share at Cheltenham.

Besides, the point is that as stupid as regarding Gloucester as a northern club is, there aren't many real alternatives.

2nd attempt - presumably I ph^cked up between 'Preview' and 'Submit' :evil:

I bl@@dy knew Gloucs City were back in Cheltenham too - serves me right for being lazy and taking the info straight from the current 'Official' BlueSq. league site's club profile - might have known it'd be wrong. :roll:

The previous site I used to use more regularly for the Conf-South, has been 'frozen' since early August - shame used to have live text feeds too. :?

A fair number of ex-Southern League 'Midland' clubs from last season, have ended up in this season's 'Evostik' Northern League - South - that's the lower level of the Northern bit of the Pyramid at STEP04 I think. The 'imbalance' certainly is felt most keenly at STEP02 - hence Worcester are now back there too.

Also 'summary' took a bit longer 'cos the Zamaretto site is (still) undergoing maintenance so not carrying results etc - had to check through clubsites.

Anywho here's the other 'local' results:-

CONFS
Dorchester Town 1-2 Woking
Farnborough 2-1 Dartford
H&R 1-2 Bromley
Maidenhead United 1-0 Weston-Super-Mare - Barney 90’
Lewes 0-0 Basingstoke Town

SOUTHP
Bashley 1-1 Didcot Town
Chesham United 1-0 Brackley Town -‘The Generals’ go top of the league 100% - no goals conceded
Central
Beaconsfield SYCOB 0-1 Northwood
Hitchin Town 3-2 Slough Town
Marlow 1-0 Soham Town Rangers
Woodford United 3-0 Burnham
S&W
Abingdon United 5-4 Cinderford Town – Ab Utd 4-2 up 4-4 in 93’ winner in 94’
Mangotsfield United 4-2 Thatcham Town
Paulton Rovers 2-1 Andover
Taunton Town 1-1 Hungerford Town

CCLP
Ash United 0-5 Colliers Wood United
Bookham 0-1 Cove
Camberley Town 4-0 Dorking
Chessington & Hook United 6-5 Egham Town - worth a mention
Croydon 1-2 Sandhurst Town
CCL1
Chobham 0-4 Farnborough North End
Eversley 2-1 CB Hounslow United
Farnham Town 2-0 Feltham
Frimley Green 0-2 Hayes Gate
Hartley Wintney 3-0 Farleigh Rovers

HELLP
Abingdon Town 9-1 Pegasus Juniors - Peg Jrs MUST be awful - Ab Town couldn't hit a Barn Door from 2 feet last week
Ascot United 0-2 Highworth Town
Bracknell Town 2-3 Slimbridge
Old Woodstock Town 5-3 Wokingham & Emmbrook
Oxford City Nomads 0-8 Wootton Bassett Town - 15 goals conceded in 2 games by OCN
Reading Town 3-1 Fairford Town
Shortwood United 3-3 Binfield
Wantage Town1-0 Thame United
HELL1E
Chalfont Wasps 1-2 Woodley Town
Newbury 1-0 Chinnor
Penn & Tylers Green 5-2 Finchampstead
Rayners Lane 1-3 Holyport
South Kilburn 0-1 Henley Town
WESS1
Tadley Calleva 0-1 Hythe & Dibden
Verwood Town 1-4 Fleet Spurs

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 23 Aug 2010 16:31

Four Of Clubs H&R 1-2 Bromley

Lovely stuff; 2 from 2 and with Mr McBean back in town Brommers might be pushing for the play-offs this season. I'm off for my annual visit this weekend for the visit of Welling Utd.

Tad Showbiz

by Tad Showbiz » 23 Aug 2010 20:52

I see Newport IoW won at the weekend, could be an interesting cup tie when they play Reading Town at the weekend.

Newport IoW are a sizeable club for the level they play at and have a very nice ground....those who have an interest in non league ground hopping should pay it a visit.

Although Newport IoW have dropped down the leagues in recent years Reading Town may struggle to get through to the next round.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 23 Aug 2010 21:28

Tad Showbiz I see Newport IoW won at the weekend, could be an interesting cup tie when they play Reading Town at the weekend.

Newport IoW are a sizeable club for the level they play at and have a very nice ground....those who have an interest in non league ground hopping should pay it a visit.

Although Newport IoW have dropped down the leagues in recent years Reading Town may struggle to get through to the next round.

I went there in 1985 to see a Hampshire Senior Cup tie against Farnborough instead of going to the Baseball Ground to see reading draw 1-1 :roll:

It was a very good ground back then. One of my favourite NL grounds was the old home of Dulwich Hamlet. Now that was a big old ground.

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 23 Aug 2010 22:32

Maidenhead lose 3-0 @ Eastleigh tonight, Basingstoke beat Dorchester 1-0

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 24 Aug 2010 00:42

AndyRFC Maidenhead lose 3-0 @ Eastleigh tonight, Basingstoke beat Dorchester 1-0

I popped up the top of the M3 for Isthmian One South: Walton Casuals v Worthing - nice ground - until fairly recently a STEP05 club (CCL) who are just hanging on to STEP04 status.
Word of warning for anyone whose not been - parking is a bit tight - sometimes spaces in the big Xcel/Elmbridge leisure Centre - the Walton Cas. ground is round the back of this. Another slight dampener is the number of ph&(£ing roads that are being dug up in the area - diversions all over the show - take your AtoZ. :evil:
By some co-incidence they host the 'other' Worthing side (United - from the Sussex League) in the FA Cup on Saturday.

...and some scores from slightly lower down -

Binfield 2-0 Shrivenham - 'Moles' up to 4th behind Slimbridge, Ascot and RTFC.
Tomorrow - whilst some might be watching "a load of ol' Cobblers" - Ascot have a tough game @ Wantage; RTFC should have enough to beat Kidlington @ Scours and Slimbridge ought not to slip up in Hereford vs Pegasus Juniors.[/i]

... Monday night footy was also bringing 'em in down in the west - was a bit of a derby:

Melksham lost 0-1 to Westbury in front of over 170 - that's higher than any Saturday crowd in the Western league APART from the 'rejuvenated' Merthyr who pulled in over 300 for their game at Taff Wells (or as per Western league site - is it Taff's Well ? :? ) v Elmore.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 24 Aug 2010 13:38

Bracknell -v- Thame tonight in the Hellenic Prem at Larges Lane :lol:

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 24 Aug 2010 14:38

Four Of Clubs
AndyRFC Maidenhead lose 3-0 @ Eastleigh tonight, Basingstoke beat Dorchester 1-0

I popped up the top of the M3 for Isthmian One South: Walton Casuals v Worthing - nice ground - until fairly recently a STEP05 club (CCL) who are just hanging on to STEP04 status.
Word of warning for anyone whose not been - parking is a bit tight - sometimes spaces in the big Xcel/Elmbridge leisure Centre - the Walton Cas. ground is round the back of this. Another slight dampener is the number of ph&(£ing roads that are being dug up in the area - diversions all over the show - take your AtoZ. :evil:
By some co-incidence they host the 'other' Worthing side (United - from the Sussex League) in the FA Cup on Saturday.

I had a couple of trips to Walton Casuals in the FA Cup last season, friendly club but its a bit of a way 2-3 miles from Walton train station. Got mentioned in thier programmes too. Pop over to the website on occasions now and see there manager is none other than Neil Shipperley.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 24 Aug 2010 14:42

I will be attending Didcot Town v Bedford Town tonight. The opposition manager being none other than Adie Williams 8)

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 24 Aug 2010 15:45

AndyRFC
I had a couple of trips to Walton Casuals in the FA Cup last season, friendly club but its a bit of a way 2-3 miles from Walton train station. Got mentioned in thier programmes too. Pop over to the website on occasions now and see there manager is none other than Neil Shipperley.

...also had 'celeb' fan Tony Gale watching from the side - is he still employed as a Pundit by Sky - I think his son (if he has one :? ) might be the Walton Cas. No 11. - Anthony Gale ?

Multimap thinks Upper Halliford is the nearest Rail Link but I suspect that only applies if you walk down to the Weir @ Sunbury and across the Footbridges to the south side of the river nr the Football Ground?

They were friendly enough but a bit too prompt at closing the club shop at HT - asked behind the bar re Badges as advertized - was directed to said shop which is back near the entrance which was closed when I got there! :|
Similarly the matey that runs the bar was somewhere else watching the match (understandably) but meant I couldn't get a cold drink until H/T! :evil:

They could do with a bit of advice re Parking on their website too.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 24 Aug 2010 23:59

Didcot 1 Bedford Town 0

Very even game, lots of good football played on a lovely surface but not a lot in terms of goalmouth action. Bedofrd hit the post about 10minutes from time with a left foot screamer. 93rd minute, corner crossed in, scramble and thumped home by the Didcot sub Osborne-Ricketts. Kick off and full time.

Great result for Didders against a very smartly dressed Adie Williams side. :lol:

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 25 Aug 2010 00:31

Four Of Clubs
AndyRFC

...also had 'celeb' fan Tony Gale watching from the side - is he still employed as a Pundit by Sky - I think his son (if he has one :? ) might be the Walton Cas. No 11. - Anthony Gale ?

Multimap thinks Upper Halliford is the nearest Rail Link but I suspect that only applies if you walk down to the Weir @ Sunbury and across the Footbridges to the south side of the river nr the Football Ground?

They were friendly enough but a bit too prompt at closing the club shop at HT - asked behind the bar re Badges as advertized - was directed to said shop which is back near the entrance which was closed when I got there! :|
Similarly the matey that runs the bar was somewhere else watching the match (understandably) but meant I couldn't get a cold drink until H/T! :evil:

They could do with a bit of advice re Parking on their website too.

Tony Gale is the DoF down there and yes his son is Anthony and was pretty rubbish when i saw him last season.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 25 Aug 2010 01:11

AndyRFC Tony Gale is the DoF down there and yes his son is Anthony and was pretty rubbish when i saw him last season.

... aaah - might account for it then - presumably mates with Neil Shipperley whose now their manager.

... some 'dodgy' results for our 'local' sides Tue night - here's just the few I've picked up from the Hellenic & Southern :

HELLP
Bracknell 2-3 Thame
Carterton 1-2 Wokingham & Emmbrook - so not all doom 'n gloom
Flackwell Heath 12 (twelve) - 0 Oxford City Nomads - OCN P4 L4 GD minus 27
RTFC 2-4 Kidlington :shock:
Shortwood 3-0 Abingdon Town
Wantage 2-1 Ascot

Slimbridge win 3-1 @ Pegasus Jrs and go 4 points clear.

In the Zamaretto Premier
Oxford City 0-0 Windsor & Eton
Salisbury 3-2 Weymouth - Salisbury come back from 1-2 down @ 89'

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Aug 2010 10:34

Apparently W&E now have Shane Hill (son of Ricky Hill) in the ranks. Good point last night at Oxford City.

Dunno whether I mentioned it before but the 1st 4 new signings announced by W&E in the close season never actually got to play for the club - apparently they were scared off by anonymous people phoning them and telling them not to go to Windsor as they wouldn't get paid....

New policy is to say nothing so they just pop up in the 1st team as an unknown face!

We'll see if these new faces stick around for long but I have to say there are a decent number of players with experience at higher levels and (after the 4-0 drubbing at home last week) they have put in a couple of very decent performances.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 25 Aug 2010 10:57

Royal Rother Apparently W&E now have Shane Hill (son of Ricky Hill) in the ranks.

You know when you are getting old when you remember their fathers playing :shock:

10616 posts