World Cup Bid

647 posts
Red
Hob Nob Regular

Re: World Cup Bid

by Red » 06 Dec 2010 13:23

Barry the bird boggler By the way I see Boris is acting tough and revoking the free hotel rooms that were going to be made available to FIFA for the waste of money that is the 2012 Olympics.

That really does make us look pathetic.

We moan about others corruption but basically these rooms were being used as a bribe then - and it hasn't gone our way so they're being rescinded.

Nice one EngLOLand, nice one BoROFLis.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 06 Dec 2010 13:27

Barry the bird boggler By the way I see Boris is acting tough and revoking the free hotel rooms that were going to be made available to FIFA for the waste of money that is the 2012 Olympics.

Same old Tories

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 06 Dec 2010 13:44

Definitive proof that there is no longer an issue with racism in the former USSR and concerns about the World Cup are meaningless...

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 06 Dec 2010 13:51

Red

We moan about others corruption but basically these rooms were being used as a bribe then - and it hasn't gone our way so they're being rescinded.

That's not really the way I see it.

Agree it's pathetic, but the rooms weren't a 'bribe', they were just pleasantries afforded to important people; I'm sure delegates from other organisations have been offered and have taken similar rooms. But taking them away is a little precious of Boris.

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 06 Dec 2010 14:04

cmonurz
Red

That's not really the way I see it.

Agree it's pathetic, but the rooms weren't a 'bribe', they were just pleasantries afforded to important people; I'm sure delegates from other organisations have been offered and have taken similar rooms. But taking them away is a little precious of Boris.

was the tax payer consulted?

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 06 Dec 2010 14:11

Three things that have been commented on in the past few days:-

(1)Unlike Platini (France) and Beckenbauer (Germany) none of our old star players have put themselves forward for admin jobs involved with world football so there are never any big hitters looking after our interests from within.

(2)We appear to have tried to make a big thing about how good our product is now and seemingly rested on our laurels by suggesting that if we have a good league product we therefore automatically deserve a world cup.
This is where the areas of humility and arrogance come in.

(3)Our bid members were complacent and didn't seem to know what they were meant to be doing and our last minute three do not have any idea about diplomacy.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 06 Dec 2010 14:30

BR2 Three things that have been commented on in the past few days:-

(1)Unlike Platini (France) and Beckenbauer (Germany) none of our old star players have put themselves forward for admin jobs involved with world football so there are never any big hitters looking after our interests from within.

Perhaps as importantly, we also don't have anyone threatening Blatter's position, who needs to be kept happy.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 Dec 2010 15:35

BR2 Three things that have been commented on in the past few days:-

(2)We appear to have tried to make a big thing about how good our product is now and seemingly rested on our laurels by suggesting that if we have a good league product we therefore automatically deserve a world cup.
This is where the areas of humility and arrogance come in.

(3)Our bid members were complacent and didn't seem to know what they were meant to be doing and our last minute three do not have any idea about diplomacy.

Don't agree on points 2 & 3 BR.

Our bid wasn't all about we invented the game and have a great league and so deserve the WC. It was about us having the existing infrastructure and represent a low risk and high quality bid and with a country brimming full of entusiasm for football. The bit lacked was the lasting legacy and taking the game to a new market that FIFA wanted. We showed that football could have a massive impact here still by showing all the good things bringing the country and communities together can bring (see papereyes mate from Manchester etc).

In terms of the bid team not knowing what they were doing. I don't think that was the case either. They knew they were in danger of being gazumped and did pretty much everything they could (the last minute handshaking etc) to counter that without getting into a bidding war through bribes to secure the bids.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 06 Dec 2010 15:38

soggy biscuit Can't help but think that football people around the world would laugh if England tried to pull out of FIFA. England are just not that important to world football.

It really is though. The most watched league in Africa and Asia, and also the most financially lucrative league in the world. Fifa would be severly hit by England's withdrawal.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 06 Dec 2010 15:40

winchester_royal
soggy biscuit Can't help but think that football people around the world would laugh if England tried to pull out of FIFA. England are just not that important to world football.

It really is though. The most watched league in Africa and Asia, and also the most financially lucrative league in the world. Fifa would be severly hit by England's withdrawal.

How do FIFA benefit from africans watching Sky and wearing fake shirts?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 06 Dec 2010 15:51

papereyes
winchester_royal

Money. As the sport grows in Africa, which the premiership is largely responsible for, Fifa make more money. Simples.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 06 Dec 2010 16:11

winchester_royal
papereyes How do FIFA benefit from africans watching Sky and wearing fake shirts?

Money. As the sport grows in Africa, which the premiership is largely responsible for, Fifa make more money. Simples.

And without England they make even more without Murdoch to take off his cut - Simpleser

Of course this could also be Murdoch's masterplan to cut FIFA out of footie altogether and hand the game to him

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 06 Dec 2010 16:21

yours truly mentioned this way back when...

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 06 Dec 2010 16:28

Uke
winchester_royal
papereyes How do FIFA benefit from africans watching Sky and wearing fake shirts?

And without England they make even more without Murdoch to take off his cut - Simpleser

Of course this could also be Murdoch's masterplan to cut FIFA out of footie altogether and hand the game to him

Well that depends really. If England break from Fifa and yet the Premiership stays commercially as strong Fifa will lose money. I'd also hazard a guess that anything England do will be in unison with Spain and the US.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 06 Dec 2010 16:34

winchester_royal
Uke And without England they make even more without Murdoch to take off his cut - Simpleser

Well that depends really. If England break from Fifa and yet the Premiership stays commercially as strong Fifa will lose money. I'd also hazard a guess that anything England do will be in unison with Spain and the US.

... and Australia, for sure, who are absolutely livid about the 2011 fit-up.

The Russia & Qatar governments have both agreed to underwrite any loss of sponsorship and TV income that FIFA would lose by them hosting it (a USA-hosted WC would get approx 120% more sponsorship than a Qatar sponsoered one, for instance.)

But if England, USA, Spain & Australia could get the likes of Germany and France to come on board too, that wraps up about 80% of the sponsorship and TV markets by value.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 06 Dec 2010 16:39

winchester_royal
papereyes

I was being a touch sarcastic but I thought one of the big things big english clubs had found is that, while Africa and Asia are indeed mad for English football, they don't actually make much real money out of the market.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 06 Dec 2010 16:42

papereyes
winchester_royal
papereyes

I was being a touch sarcastic but I thought one of the big things big english clubs had found is that, while Africa and Asia are indeed mad for English football, they don't actually make much real money out of the market.

Yep - the ones who make the most money out of English football in Asia are the shirt counterfeiters.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 06 Dec 2010 16:47

which is why I'd doubt FIFA would make much money out of the whole thing.

My hunch is that the people near the top like the power of having the 'developing' world votes. Hence Trinidad and Guatemala representing CONCACAF

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 06 Dec 2010 16:50

Indeed - which is why Russia & Qatar have had to underwrite the loss of TV & sponsorship money from them as venues.

As the FAs in developing countries survive on FIFA money only and have no commercial revenue of their own, it's also a way to ensure that the balance of power, with the votes of those many countries assured.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 06 Dec 2010 17:09

Svlad Cjelli
papereyes I was being a touch sarcastic but I thought one of the big things big english clubs had found is that, while Africa and Asia are indeed mad for English football, they don't actually make much real money out of the market.

Yep - the ones who make the most money out of English football in Asia are the shirt counterfeiters.

and Rupert

647 posts