Hughes resigns

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

Re: Hughes resigns

by papereyes » 07 Jun 2011 10:27

Uke
And where do Fulham not want to achieve more?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 07 Jun 2011 10:31

Villa are a bigger club, but they're not in great shape.

They're in quite an amusing mess.

After years of Ellis saying "Look, we're not all that rich" and the fans whinging, they got the new chairman who proceded to spend a lot of money to get O'Neill into 4th at Easter/5th-6th by the end of the season.

And after a few years of this, the chairman went "well, I can't keep spending money like this, I'm running up quite the deficit and we haven't won anything." and has decided to cut spending to make the club a bit more sustainable in the long run. Plus they have one of the better academies in the land and there's a few decent players coming through.

I imagine that some on here would strongly disagree with this approach to finances.

But what genuinely gets me is that Ellis was pretty much right. Yes, he could have managed the resources and managers better but they've essentially done a mini-Leeds and their struggles this year came about because they had to start to think about balancing the books.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 07 Jun 2011 10:44

A large percentage of people would probably say this is rich coming from a Reading fan, but Fulham really are a shit club.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 07 Jun 2011 11:29

When it comes down to it only Liverpool, ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea and ManC will ever win anything of note again. Perhaps Spurs may get in on the act if they pick up serious money and a new ground from somewhere.

All other clubs, whether they have zero history or a record of winning things before about 30 years ago, are more or less the same level of nothingness these days with where they finish dictated by how much money their chairmen want to throw at the game and how clever their manager is.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 07 Jun 2011 11:34

Barry the bird boggler When it comes down to it only Liverpool, ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea and ManC will ever win anything of note again. Perhaps Spurs may get in on the act if they pick up serious money and a new ground from somewhere.

All other clubs, whether they have zero history or a record of winning things before about 30 years ago, are more or less the same level of nothingness these days with where they finish dictated by how much money their chairmen want to throw at the game and how clever their manager is.

You sure??

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 07 Jun 2011 11:37

who are ya? A large percentage of people would probably say this is rich coming from a Reading fan, but Fulham really are a shit club.

who we should have beat

The Doctor

by The Doctor » 07 Jun 2011 20:34

Uke New manager, Mr Jolly, has a contract for two years with an option to stay for a third

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13678517.stm

I prefer the Coppell/Bobby Robson contract model where the contract rolls on for one year from the current date.

i think fulham have actually done better out of this. hiddink looks set for chelsea. what a delight to see hughes look jobless heading into the new season!!