Next England captain?

164 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Next England captain?

by sandman » 09 Feb 2012 17:32

Extended-Phenotype But Finerain, without looking it up, can you name the Italian back four? The French back four? German? Argentinean? Brazilian? (do you see where I might be going with this…)

People might not be able to name their teams word for word but surely those with a basic knowledge would know a few players from other Countries defences.

Italians are rebuilding so I agree people would struggle naming them but...

Germany: Lahm, Mertesacker and Boateng are all quite well known and two of them have played in England.

France: A load of them play in England so the likes of Evra, Koscielny, Clichy, Kaboul. Mexes and Abidal both play for big, well known, clubs

Brazil: Alves, Maicon, Lucio and Sideshow Luiz

Argentina: Zabaleta (who plays for City) and I could name Martin Demechellis because I've always thought he's slow and to put it bluntly a bit sh1t.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 09 Feb 2012 18:53

Extended-Phenotype England need to stop being managed by people who insist they play in a European style. We can’t do it, as we don’t have the discipline nor the technical ability. Why compete in areas we already know we are runner-up in?

England’s strength has always been it’s, well, strength! Our players are fitter, faster and stronger than those Euro-fairy fckwits. I say sod all this technical sh|t Sven and Fab has us p/ssing about with, and just go f//cking MENTAL! KICKIT! KICK! KICKTHEBALL RUN! RUNRUNRUNKICCKKKKKK!!!!!!

The trouble is the Germans are fitter,faster and stronger than our lads.
I never said anything about expecting our side to be world-beaters I just felt depressed reading the team that you suggested-allow me a bit of depression.

Scylla

by Scylla » 10 Feb 2012 10:18

Ideal
Victor Meldrew
Extended-Phenotype England need to stop being managed by people who insist they play in a European style. We can’t do it, as we don’t have the discipline nor the technical ability. Why compete in areas we already know we are runner-up in?

England’s strength has always been it’s, well, strength! Our players are fitter, faster and stronger than those Euro-fairy fckwits. I say sod all this technical sh|t Sven and Fab has us p/ssing about with, and just go f//cking MENTAL! KICKIT! KICK! KICKTHEBALL RUN! RUNRUNRUNKICCKKKKKK!!!!!!

The trouble is the Germans are fitter,faster and stronger than our lads.
I never said anything about expecting our side to be world-beaters I just felt depressed reading the team that you suggested-allow me a bit of depression.

OTTO REHAGEL -> GREECE -> CHAMPIONS

They kicked it. They ran. They played like Wimbledon, and they won it.
Why can not England just do the same?

Bring in Coppell, play direct football, win it. Simple.

"Lesser breeds" old chap. Not the right sort of thing to do.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 13 Feb 2012 16:30

6ft Kerplunk Given how the media are fawning over him at the moment its only a matter of time before someone suggests Paul Scholes as captain.

Redknapp says he should be in the team.

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 15 Feb 2012 16:01

cmonurz
6ft Kerplunk Given how the media are fawning over him at the moment its only a matter of time before someone suggests Paul Scholes as captain.

i doubt 'arry would last the ninety minutes.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 15 Feb 2012 16:05

frimmers3
cmonurz

i doubt 'arry would last the ninety minutes.

Poor form. Making a joke by taking Cmonurz's post literally is fair enough, but if you decide to do that then you can't assume its Harry that he's necessarily talking about.

Rookie error

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 15 Feb 2012 18:57

Rookie error[/quote]

so as he was the only one cited the rest is guesswork? your comment will serve to cement your stead with the clique: little else.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 15 Feb 2012 19:59

I actually think it's a fairly interesting point - if Redknapp is next England manager, there is every chance Gareth Barry's England career could stall or be over. And Scholes in the team would release both Gerrard and Wilshere into genuinely attacking roles.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 16 Feb 2012 12:55

Have I missed something, or is Scholes now a holding midfielder? I f/cking hope not.

I thought the initial problem with Scholes/Gerrard/Lampard were that they were all attacking mids.

Or has my fuzzy brain gone ultrafuzzy?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Feb 2012 13:16

Since his legs have gone Scholes has tended to play a lot deeper yes.

His decent display against Liverpool at the weekend was largely (IMO) down to the time and space he had because Dalglish got his tactics wrong. Scholes, operating infront of a back four that only really had to mark Suarez, had lots of time to dictate the play and to top that off both Liverpools midfield 3 were set up to defend and not one of them were in a position to stop Scholes from running the game.

Will he ever play for England again though? I doubt it.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 16 Feb 2012 13:19

Not sure I want Scholes anywhere near a deep position myself. Unless it's behind me in my f/cking ass.

#selfdestructingdouble-entendre

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 29 Feb 2012 12:04

Scott Parker - just seen this on the tv in the lobby.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 29 Feb 2012 12:07

Christ.

Pearce as the manager parker as the captain, we've definitely got work rate leading the pack but also the technical abilities of a two legged elephant.

Spain, Germany, Italy, Holland, Portugal, Argentina,etc would all cream themsevles playing us in a competitive tournament as they pass the ball round 900 times with 70% possession, completely demolishing us.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 29 Feb 2012 12:49

Pointless posturing FR. Ranting about a hypothetical situation, and as Ideal implies the argument that we would be better served playing ‘our’ way holds some credence.

What we do have in England in players like Wilshere, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain who you might consider more ‘continental’ in style (or the Walcott of a couple of years back at least), and with an English core the side in Parker, Gerrard, Rooney etc, I don’t think we’re far away from a good tournament result. What doesn’t happen for England of course is all the blocks falling into place at the right time, maybe it will in Brazil, who knows.

I’d certainly like to see Euro 2012 treated as a pre-cursor to that World Cup – rather see Oxlade-Chamberlain in the side ahead of tried and tested players like Milner, for example.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 29 Feb 2012 13:10

Ideal
FiNeRaIn Christ.

Pearce as the manager parker as the captain, we've definitely got work rate leading the pack but also the technical abilities of a two legged elephant.

Spain, Germany, Italy, Holland, Portugal, Argentina,etc would all cream themsevles playing us in a competitive tournament as they pass the ball round 900 times with 70% possession, completely demolishing us.

LOL @ "completely demolishing us"

Norway v Brazil 4-1
Norway v Brazil WORLD CUP 2-1
Germany v Norway 0-1
Norway v Spain... etc etc etc

WE PLAY LIKE DONKEYS YET WE STILL BEAT THEM WHILE THEY HAVE 70% POSSESSION AND PASS THE BALL ABOUT FOR FUN!
EXPLAIN THAT YOU FOOTBALLING ANALPHABET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I for one happen to think England could win the world cup if they played die-hard ENglish, or "Norwenglish" football so to speak.

How did England leave the last tournament?

Completely demolished 4-1

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Feb 2012 13:17

Playing Italian football.

Incidentally, they didn't do too well either.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 29 Feb 2012 13:18

FineRain...

Are you ever not arguing with someone on these boards?

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 29 Feb 2012 14:13

Also, as I've said on another thread, Gerrard was captain for the World Cup, and failed. So we move on, look for someone else. Simple as.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Feb 2012 14:21

YateleyRoyal Also, as I've said on another thread, Gerrard was captain for the World Cup, and failed. So we move on, look for someone else. Simple as.

The captain is one of many things that have an influence on the outcome. Just because we didn't win the world cup in 2010 doesn't mean that Gerrard isn't the best man for the job.

What an odd perspective.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 29 Feb 2012 17:58

FiNeRaIn
How did England leave the last tournament?

Completely demolished 4-1

Well actually you listed a few teams.

The last time we played Holland competitively we beat them 4-0 (iirc), Italy was the 0-0 in Rome I think, Argentina the 2-2 at the World Cup. Spain I don't remember. Portugal beat us on penalties.

Maybe I've missed a couple of games, but of that whole list, only the Germany defeat was a 'demolishing' (and iirc our previous competitive game against them had been the 1-0 group game win in the Euros a few years back).

164 posts