The official guess the England 22 thread

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: The official guess the England 22 thread

by winchester_royal » 09 May 2012 14:00

Hoop Blah
LoyalRoyalFan Foster is retired.

Our goalkeeping options are very limited.

With Hodgson taking over there is a suspicion that he might be able to get Foster back out of international retirement. He quit because he didn't think playing second fiddle to Hart was doing him any good in kick starting his career and, I think, getting over the injuries that have hampered him a bit.

winchester_royal Gk: Hart, Foster, Ruddy
RB: Walker, Johnson
CB: Lescott, Cahill, Ferdinand, Jagielka
LB: Cole, Gibbs
CM: Parker, Barry, Lampard, Milner
Wingers: Walcott, Sturridge, Johnson, Chamberlain
Strikers: Rooney, Carroll, Welbeck, Crouch

You wouldn't take Ashley Young at all?

Knew there was someone I forgot...take him instead of Gibbs.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 May 2012 14:24

Unfortunately I think I totally agree AP, and I'm quite a Gerrard fan. At the moment I think my starting XI would end up looking something like this.

Hart
Richards Ferdinand Lescott Cole
Parker Barry
Walcott Lampard Young
Welbeck

I'd didn't expect to see Walcott, Lampard, Barry or Welbeck in my team but I don't think there's much of an alternative at the moment. Milner or Carrick in for Barry perhaps, maybe even Gerrard if you wan't someone a bit more creative (as I think Souness said last night, he may have to adjust to being more of a holding midfielder now his legs appear to be going).

If we're playing one upfront, which I think we probably will do, I think Welbeck will be the one with first dibs on the spot. He'll work hard and has pace to threaten in behind but I don't see him as much of a goalscoring threat.

Walcott on the wing could easily be replaced by Johnson (my favoured right winger but he hasn't played enough to show that he should start above Walcott who's been in reasonable form) or Lennon or even Downing or Oxlade-Chamberlain. They're all pretty interchangable really, apart from Young who for me starts on either wing regardless.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 09 May 2012 14:37

Extended-Phenotype
RobRoyal I like it E-P, though you've got three right-sided wingers and one left-sided.

I'll have to play one of each at a time then.

When you think about it, you might as well only take 11. It halves the chance of one of them calling another one a "black bastard" as well*

*This can also be achieved by only taking white players.

FinchOwl

by FinchOwl » 09 May 2012 15:41

Well, its a 23 man squad for a start, 3 of which have to be keepers I think. The rule was changed a few years back to stop the '3 keepers or an extra outfield player' deb8 that you used to get before every tournament

I would take

Hart, Carson, Ruddy(Foster if he can be persuaded)

Walker, Cole, Baines, Richards, Ferdinand, Cahill(if fit, otherwise Lescott), Jones

Parker, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Milner

Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Young, Sturridge

Rooney, Welbeck, Carroll, Bent(if fit, otherwise Defoe)

If you take Richards and Milner then you only need 7 outright defenders, Richards can play RB or CB, and Milner can fill in at right back if you need him, as well as CM and out wide. You need a player of that versatility in a tournament squad to cover all eventualities. You still need 2 proper left backs though I think, so thats why Cole and Baines both go in my squad. I pick Jones purely because I believe he is the brightest defensive talent we have and needs the experience, and I dont see him as a right back in any way, he is a CB in my opinion and it irks me that SAF plays him as a right back. However I can see him not going, or him going in the Richards role I outlined above. Its harsh on Lescott if he doesnt go as he has been really good for City in recent weeks, but I have been impressed with Cahill at Chelsea and he will start if fit I think. I pick Ferdinand over Terry as I wouldnt take Terry with the racism case hanging over him

I agree with AP that the injuries to Cleverley and Wilshere have robbed us of the option of a young dynamic midfield, and thats where we will come undone. Earlier in the season I would have had both of them in, probably at the expense of Barry and Lampard/Gerrard(hard to separate the 2, but Lampard certainly playing better at the moment and fitter it seems) Barry has been immense for City recently though, and should be in the squad as it stands.

I picked Bent/Defoe because I don't see a goal poacher in there otherwise, and you need one of them in my opinion. It also gives the forward line a good balance of styles. Power and ariel threat with Carroll, pace and direct running with Welbeck, poacher in Bent/Defoe and all round unhinged genius(some of the time) in Rooney

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 09 May 2012 15:55

How many times has the third choice keeper got a game at a finals? Makes more sense to me to take along the best U21 keeper to get him a bit of experience.

KDRF

by KDRF » 09 May 2012 17:34

Kyle Walker should be included, and if Downing is included I will go mental.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 May 2012 17:37

6ft Kerplunk How many times has the third choice keeper got a game at a finals? Makes more sense to me to take along the best U21 keeper to get him a bit of experience.

Depends if you can identify which of the young keepers is the best one to give the experience too.

So many of the u21 keepers don't get anywhere near international football so there probably isn't much point of them having the experience (unless that experience is going to make them that much better of course).

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 09 May 2012 20:38

Rumours that Terry will not be going. Honestly can't see how we can take him considering the Court Case hanging over him.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 09 May 2012 22:50

Take a load of youngsters. We are going to get bummed big time anyway. :shock:

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 10 May 2012 01:17

The Prisoner Take a load of youngsters. We are going to get bummed big time anyway. :shock:

Could not have put it any better myself. I really could not give a toss about England anymore. A bunch of overpaid over rated twats from an average league who only play for England to boost there personal sponsership deals.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 10 May 2012 04:47

The Prisoner Take a load of youngsters. We are going to get bummed big time anyway. :shock:

Upson will be gutted.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 May 2012 06:58

Jackson Corner

Could not have put it any better myself. I really could not give a toss about England anymore. A bunch of overpaid over rated twats from an average league who only play for England to boost there personal sponsership deals.

:|

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 10 May 2012 08:34

It might be my advancing years ( :D ) but I really couldn't give two hoots about "Team England - Corporate Tarts".

Bunch of overhyped knobs like John Terry don't deserve my support and every tournament we pull some turgid w@nk out of the drawer (even Italia 90 - lucky/dreadful against Egypt, Ireland, Belgium and Cameroon before the traditional "galant effort" against W Germany).

Ditch Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Ferdinand etc and pick some young pacey players who might actually be proud to wear the shirt. Remove the weight of expectation from their shoulder and they might give us some confidence for the future.

Roy Hodgson seems an honest and gifted coach who may just galvanise these arse holes, but if we take the "golden (shower) generation" I don't think I'll even watch.

bassavage

by bassavage » 10 May 2012 10:15

KEEPERS:

1 Hart
2 Green
3 Carson/Foster (If Roy gets him out of retirement)

DEFENDERS:

4 Johnson
5 Cahill
6 Ferdinand
7 Cole
8 Lescott
9 Baines
10 Jones
11 Walker

MIDFIELDERS

12 Parker
13 Gerrard
14 Lampard
15 Barry
16 Young
17 Milner
18 Walcott

FORWARDS

19 Rooney
20 Welbeck
21 Sturridge
22 Carroll
23 Defoe

Personally I'd love to see Micah Richards and Michael Carrick in there, but I don't think it will happen. Also wouldn't surprise me to see Stewart "No goals, no assists" Downing in their for Defoe probably.

My starting XI v France

Hart
Richards Lescott Cahill Cole
Lampard Parker Carrick
Sturridge Carroll Young

Probable starting XI v France

Hart
Johnson Ferdinand Lescott Cole
Young Barry Parker Gerrard
Welbeck Carroll

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 May 2012 12:34

In case anyone was interested, I put together the squad using Opta Stats, picking the highest rankings for positions. Slow day.

Forwards
Rooney
Wellbeck
Holt
Sturridge

Wingers
Walcott
Etherington
Young
Jarvis

CM’s
Lampard
Murphy
Barry
Carrick

CB’s
Lescott
Terry
Ferdinand
Shawcross

Fullbacks
Simpson
Walker
Cole
Baines

Keepers
Hart
Foster
Ruddy

Some interesting picks in there, and some even more interesting omissions.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 11 May 2012 12:45

Do the Opta stats reflect team results as well as individual performances?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 May 2012 12:56

After a little snooping around, I can't say I'm any wiser to how they actually work.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 11 May 2012 13:00

Still, you're a couple of hours closer to the weekend.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 11 May 2012 13:29

Extended-Phenotype After a little snooping around, I can't say I'm any wiser to how they actually work.

Only asked as otherwise it's difficult to see how a generally crocked Ferdinand (unless that's Anton :shock:) and a rubbish Terry are top of the stats.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 May 2012 13:35

Yeah, I was confused about some of 'em too. But that's Moneyball.