The Gylfi thread.

2243 posts
maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: SPECULATION - Gylfi on sale for £6m

by maffff » 23 Jun 2012 00:48

themadstad With Sigurdsson, like you say Maffff, people are getting ahead of themselves. Liverpool interested and then you have, Swansea, Man U and now QPR showing interest. Saw some stuff on Twitter regarding him having a medical at Spurs today. I had previously heard Gylfi linked with Tottenham.

I understand that Gylfi has been in London since he arrived back in UK this week anyway.

A director at Hoffenheim has stated that a move to Liverpool is complicated due to fee. Maybe you know more about that Maffff?

I can't see QPR interest being genuine, why would they need him when they have Taarabt? Man U might be interested, plus he's a fan. Spurs? - without a manager? I'd be surprised if he spurned Liverpool's advances for them.

Not sure on the fees for Liverpool if honest, but here's me speculating. We know the fee Swansea had agreed was low because it was part of the loan agreement (effectively meant what Swansea had paid in a loan fee was taken off the full cost of a transfer - also meaning that they would have managed to get around part of the sell on clause to us.....). We also know that Swansea first off tried to offer less than the amount stipulated in the loan agreement when they first contacted Hoffenheim. With Liverpool they would need to negotiate a fee with Hoffenheim, on that basis I'd guess £8-10m, which are roughly the amounts being bandied around by their fans as being the amount agreed (£9.2m), would seem in the right region.

We have a figure agreed with Hoffeheim which matches the amount that Swansea had agreed, £6.8m, plus the value of the loan fee (which was in the region of £1m), less the sell on clause, which brings us back to the £6.5m region. We also offered to match the contract that Swansea had offered, but if something incredible happened and he did want to come here then I'd imagine he'll at least want parity on wages with Pog, so further negotiations would be needed as well as I'd imagine a clause allowing him to leave if relegated or speak to top clubs [i.e. those in Europe] at the end of the season.

£35k is getting towards the upper end of our Premier League wage structure, but puts us in good position to challenge the teams that should be around us.

themadstad

by themadstad » 23 Jun 2012 00:58

Either way it seems highly unlikely he'll be coming here. Lots of rumours tonight it's almost done with Liverpool. Gylfi signing for Liverpool obviously wouldn't be a surprise. Should he not then even so I'm still not sure he'd sign for us.

As for Spurs, Levy isn't daft and he's pressing ahead. I've heard manager is almost done there anyway but if the Liverpool deal actually has stalled then Spurs offer Gylfi the chance to challenge for Champions League etc.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Jun 2012 01:05

themadstad Either way it seems highly unlikely he'll be coming here. Lots of rumours tonight it's almost done with Liverpool. Gylfi signing for Liverpool obviously wouldn't be a surprise but even so I believe he will sign for a Prem club but not us.

As for Spurs, Levy isn't daft and he's pressing ahead. I've heard manager is almost done there anyway but if the Liverpool deal actually has stalled then Spurs offer Gylfi the chance to challenge for Champions League etc.

There's nothing to suggest we should be getting our hopes up, sadly.

Besides, what's to say we can't progress as a club over the next few years to the level where we catch up to him :wink:

themadstad

by themadstad » 23 Jun 2012 01:08

maffff
themadstad Either way it seems highly unlikely he'll be coming here. Lots of rumours tonight it's almost done with Liverpool. Gylfi signing for Liverpool obviously wouldn't be a surprise but even so I believe he will sign for a Prem club but not us.

There's nothing to suggest we should be getting our hopes up, sadly.

Besides, what's to say we can't progress as a club over the next few years to the level where we catch up to him :wink:

Well we would have to sign players of his calibre and build. Bit by bit etc.

I'm sure Brian will say later on we tried to get Gylfi etc.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Jun 2012 01:12

themadstad Well we would have to sign players of his calibre and build. Bit by bit etc.

I'm sure Brian will say later on we tried to get Gylfi but etc.

AZ ploughing into the infrastructure, growing fanbase, starting off with signings like Pog and some of the intent shown in this window can only make us become more appealing to a better quality player. if we can keep the team spirit as great as it is and work with the current squad just slightly augmented replacing to a higher quality over time, which is what it looks like BMc is doing, then we're on the right lines. Plus having an owner so proactive in speaking to our targets to sell our vision is great. What more could we be wanting from Anton at this stage? If his reign continues as it's started then success will continue to breed success.

themadstad

by themadstad » 23 Jun 2012 01:29

I agree with this growing of the fanbase. This is going to be a part of it as that'll feed in to revenues, growth in revenues allows you to pay more etc.

Expanding the scouting network, which they are working on I believe, is also good.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Jun 2012 01:35

themadstad I agree with this growing of the fanbase

One of the best legacies from the Premier League has been the younger fans we gained during that period that have taken us more seriously and developed into hardcore fans that are now old enough to go to games on their own/with their mates etc. The away crowds seem to have had more of a buzz about them in recent seasons. I don't think the home crowds are as bad as people say either. Getting there, slowly.

How many other teams effectively have a catchment area nearly ranging from Southampton to Birmingham [well, past Oxf*rd] and Bristol to London?
Last edited by maffff on 23 Jun 2012 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

IcelandicStokie

by IcelandicStokie » 23 Jun 2012 01:37

Gylfi spoke with Liverpool and Reading on Thursday after returning from a holiday in the USA. Had further discussions yesterday. Spurs have entered the fray. Gylfi returned to Iceland tonight with offers. Will be very interesting to follow this in the next few days.

themadstad

by themadstad » 23 Jun 2012 01:40

IcelandicStokie Gylfi spoke with Liverpool and Reading on Thursday after returning from a holiday in the USA. Had further discussions yesterday. Spurs have entered the fray. Gylfi returned to Iceland tonight with offers. Will be very interesting to follow this in the next few days.

Yes been in London since arriving back. Going over to Iceland makes sense to possibly make a decision away from UK.

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 23 Jun 2012 08:04

themadstad I agree with this growing of the fanbase. This is going to be a part of it as that'll feed in to revenues, growth in revenues allows you to pay more etc.

We need to buy a Japanese player.

Royal Soupanoodle
Location: at the bottom of the Ocean called life, looking for a pearl of wisdom!

by Royal Soupanoodle » 23 Jun 2012 08:11

RFCSPACE
themadstad I agree with this growing of the fanbase. This is going to be a part of it as that'll feed in to revenues, growth in revenues allows you to pay more etc.

We need to buy a Japanese player.

Chinese player > Japanese :)

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 23 Jun 2012 08:46

It's difficult to see him choosing us over Liverpool, but if he does.............I don't know, I might just shit then die.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 23 Jun 2012 14:52

maffff
themadstad I agree with this growing of the fanbase

One of the best legacies from the Premier League has been the younger fans we gained during that period that have taken us more seriously and developed into hardcore fans that are now old enough to go to games on their own/with their mates etc. The away crowds seem to have had more of a buzz about them in recent seasons. I don't think the home crowds are as bad as people say either. Getting there, slowly.

How many other teams effectively have a catchment area nearly ranging from Southampton to Birmingham [well, past Oxf*rd] and Bristol to London?

Finally got a username approved?!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Jun 2012 15:11

Yep! Took a while....... :)

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 23 Jun 2012 15:42

According to skybet, Spurs are now favourite to sign him!!

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 23 Jun 2012 15:49

maffff Yep! Took a while....... :)

Theyre letting any old rubbish in at the moment

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 23 Jun 2012 16:06

He WILL join us if we accept his demands.

If we allow his fishing company "'Lotna ehf", to be next years sponsors (for free), then he will sign.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Jun 2012 16:13

muddyfeet
maffff Yep! Took a while....... :)

Theyre letting any old rubbish in at the moment

Clearly... It's like November 2010 all over again....

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 23 Jun 2012 16:44

akranes He WILL join us if we accept his demands.

If we allow his fishing company "'Lotna ehf", to be next years sponsors (for free), then he will sign.

WTF :roll:

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 23 Jun 2012 16:53

Cobi
akranes He WILL join us if we accept his demands.

WTF :roll:

My source would prefer remain anonymous...

I can't stand waiting, just sign for us Gylfi!

2243 posts