Reading
83%
Southampton
17%

Total votes: 145
phil in cornwall

Re: Southampton Sack Adkins, new manager Mauricio Pochettino

by phil in cornwall » 18 Jan 2013 22:34

He wasn't highly thought of in Barcelona. Espanyol have never managed to catch up with Barca in any way. They used to play in the Olympic Stadium but because the crowds were so small they moved to a Reading-sized stadium built near the airport. In the recent derby Barca beat them easily.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 18 Jan 2013 22:43

If only there was a thread on general football to discuss manager sackings/appointments etc

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 19 Jan 2013 00:37

oxf*rd disgusting. I dislike Saints with a passion and have done for many years, but this is just beyond ridiculous.

Adkins was the man to keep them up and he would of done so, strong at home, good play, confidence growing..a better position than us.

Good luck Adkins. I hope Saints fail and are relegated, their owner doesn't deserve Premier status, shame on you.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 19 Jan 2013 00:44

The Royal The Southampton above us you mean?

Blame Federici for the 6 point deficit

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 19 Jan 2013 02:29

The Royal Who cares? I don't, we have not sacked our manager so why we talking about it. I think we have a couple of secret saint fans, along with the thread in team board

eh?

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 19 Jan 2013 02:30

Niko Why is this in the "Rumours and Gossip" part of the Team board when it relates to neither...?

so where do you suggest it goes then, durr

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 19 Jan 2013 02:31

akranes I do agree that it was a stupid sacking.... but I don't think saints will suffer, can't see em dropping just because of this

unless the manager is crap

he cant speak english and he left espanyol bottom of the league...weird appointment

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

Re: S8nts

by Mr Optimist » 19 Jan 2013 07:09

AthleticoSpizz every right to be smug

Scunthorpe Physio to Premier Manager in a few short seasons

I've always liked the guy (apart from 2 games a season).

And as Woodcote has intimated...I bet there will be a few teams thinking of sacking their current managers on the hopeful premise of hiring Adkins

Lol at Saints hiring a non-english speaking figurehead...............just what this national game needs

Agree totally. I just hope Villa, if they lose to WBA today, don't decide to jettison Lambert and replace him with Adkins while they have the chance. Hopefully he will be big Championship club bound, for now at least.

Cypry

by Cypry » 19 Jan 2013 07:24

Royal91
The Royal The Southampton above us you mean?

Blame Federici for the 6 point deficit

I might be wrong but I don't remember him being at fault for Puncheons goal when they beat us......which essentially is the difference between the teams....

royal madrid

by royal madrid » 19 Jan 2013 08:07

phil in cornwall He wasn't highly thought of in Barcelona. Espanyol have never managed to catch up with Barca in any way. They used to play in the Olympic Stadium but because the crowds were so small they moved to a Reading-sized stadium built near the airport. In the recent derby Barca beat them easily.

All true on the face of it, but there´s more than the released facts to a story.
He was very highly thought of all over Spain - even by Barca supporting residents of Barcelona.
Espanyol never were and never will threaten Barca´s hegemony in Barcelona. They were formed later and their original identity as Spanish - now changed - rather than Catalan was never going to appeal to a majority.
They changed stadiums as everybody hated the Olympic Stadium, which was foisted upon them as a neat solution to having an Olympic Stadium without any specific purpose (ring any bells?) and a local team playing in much loved yet not-fit-for-purpose arena, The Sarria. The new stadium now ´belongs´to Espanyol in a way that el Estadi Olypico simply never did and, as it holds over forty thousand I´d describe this as Everton sized, rather than Reading sized. Wouldn´t you?
As for Barca beating them easily. They pretty much beat everybody easily. Don´t they?

JayRoyal

by JayRoyal » 19 Jan 2013 09:02

Mr Optimist
AthleticoSpizz every right to be smug

Scunthorpe Physio to Premier Manager in a few short seasons

I've always liked the guy (apart from 2 games a season).

And as Woodcote has intimated...I bet there will be a few teams thinking of sacking their current managers on the hopeful premise of hiring Adkins

Lol at Saints hiring a non-english speaking figurehead...............just what this national game needs

Agree totally. I just hope Villa, if they lose to WBA today, don't decide to jettison Lambert and replace him with Adkins while they have the chance. Hopefully he will be big Championship club bound, for now at least.

1/10 to join Blackpool yesterday, seems like they know something we don't.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 Jan 2013 09:03

But it's also true that he was sacked this season after 13 games having only managed to get 9 pts ....

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 19 Jan 2013 09:16

A couple of wins and you won't hear a peep out of the Soton fans about this.

royal madrid

by royal madrid » 19 Jan 2013 10:10

Royalwaster But it's also true that he was sacked this season after 13 games having only managed to get 9 pts ....

Yep, quite true. He either overachieved last season or was missing something this. We´ll never know which.
But my point was that he wasn´t (and isn´t) unpopular, and that Espanyol are never going to consistently rival for their cross-town adverseries on or off the pitch.
Personally, I think that S´ton have made a rather strange decision, not in getting Pochettino but in getting him now. I guess this means that they have more money to spend before the window closes and realise that La Liga represents far better value for money than practically any where else at the moment, so would prefer somebody at the helm who knows those players.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 19 Jan 2013 10:22

AthleticoSpizz

*crosses fingers*

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 19 Jan 2013 10:53

Didn't the former incarnation of 'The Royal' get banned for posting credit card details online?

:lol:

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 19 Jan 2013 10:59

Ideal
Platypuss A couple of losses and you'll see what the Soton fans feel about this.

:|

royaldownunder

by royaldownunder » 19 Jan 2013 11:27

royalsteve
Niko Why is this in the "Rumours and Gossip" part of the Team board when it relates to neither...?

so where do you suggest it goes then, durr

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=107055&start=1300
The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round 2012/2013

Maybe here? Durr :roll:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Jan 2013 12:52

I guess one either has to just accept that the last traces of the concept of loyalty in football have disappeared and / or fall out of love with the pro game a little bit more.

The point is that the owners / funders of the club have given Adkins what was needed for him to do the great job that he undoubtedly has done, paid him the wages to set him up for life, and establish himself as a fine manager who will now be in demand, so they have the absolute right to do what the hell they want in their quest to establish the club as a proper Premier League "contender".

So sympathy for Adkins is probably misplaced but hell, it don't half stink to me.

And I really really struggle to see how this guy is nailed on to do a better job than Adkins which surely must be the justification in their minds for making the move.

Falling out of love with the pro game is a long and very gradual process but at least Reading FC appears to be run with an underpinning ethos that is out of step with much of its competitors and will give me something to feel a tiny bit proud of from my armchair and the terracing at Windsor FC.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 19 Jan 2013 12:58

Interesting to read the comments on here where NOBODY feels that Saints have made the right decision.
It has been expected down here for the past 2 years and is no surprise-Adkins and Cortese have never got on.
What is something of a surprise is how long it has taken to happpen and the timing although of course they earlier sacked Pardew after a 4-0 away win!!.

Despite what an earlier poster said Espanyol didn't sack him,he resigned because it was a club going nowhere and selling it's best players.
The new assistant speaks fluent English and the new manager already speaks Spanish,Italian and Portugese so English will probably come easy to him.
Apparently he and his assitant have been following what has been happening in the Premier League for some time-it's not as if everything will be brand new and after all football and football-speak are quite universal.
Let's hope he doesn't bring in any decent Spanish players like Laudrup has or they might soon be out of reach for us.

As with most on here I don't reallly care what happens to Saints but from a Reading perspective I think today's game at Newcastle is massive.
Win it and Newcastle get dragged into the relegation mix,lose it and Newcastle join Saints as a club drrawing away from us.
If we lose I do think Brian's job is under threat with just 12 days of the transfer window to go and I wonder if our fans will be as outraged as Saints' fans are about Adkins and if those Saints' fans would be as outraged as our fans posting in this topic about Brian if he were to get the chop.

244 posts