SAF set to retire?

141 posts
Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: SAF set to retire?

by Barry the bird boggler » 09 May 2013 12:02

Ouroboros
Chaney Bob Paisley won 6 League championships and 3 European cups in 11 years. Fergie got 13 and 2 in 27 years. Best ever? Dont be daft.

You just can't compare managers. Paisley was outstanding and brilliant just as Ferguson was at ManU. Equally Herbert Chapman back in the 1920s and 30s with Huddersfield and Arsenal was brilliant.

Major Inconvenience

by Major Inconvenience » 09 May 2013 12:15

I can't help but think he underachieved in Europe. So many years at the helm of one of the biggest clubs in the world, but only two European Cups / Champions Leagues isn't the greatest return.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 09 May 2013 12:24

Major Inconvenience I can't help but think he underachieved in Europe. So many years at the helm of one of the biggest clubs in the world, but only two European Cups / Champions Leagues isn't the greatest return.

Don't disagree with that necessarily, but the champions league is a much harder competition to win than the European cup of paisley's day. There is far more money and quality spread around the continent.

If it hasn't been for Barca's outrageoua dominance you would expect that he would have won at least 1 more champions league.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 09 May 2013 12:26

Tbf it's not bad. Fair amount of luck in cup comps Utd usually got beat by the team that went on to lift the trophy

1997 - Champions League Semi-Final
1998 - Champions League 1st Round
1999 - Champions League Winner
2000 - Champions League Quarter-Final
2001 - Champions League Quarter-Final
2002 - Champions League Semi-Final
2003 - Champions League Quarter-Final
2004 - Champions League 2nd Round
2005 - Champions League 2nd Round
2006 - Champions League 1st Round
2007 - Champions League Semi-Final
2008 - Champions League Winners
2009 - Champions League Final
2010 - Champions League Quarter-Final
2011 - Champions League Final
2012 - Champions League 1st Round/Europa League 4th Round

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 09 May 2013 13:33

Major Inconvenience helm

:lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 May 2013 14:57

Ouroboros
Major Inconvenience I can't help but think he underachieved in Europe. So many years at the helm of one of the biggest clubs in the world, but only two European Cups / Champions Leagues isn't the greatest return.

Don't disagree with that necessarily, but the champions league is a much harder competition to win than the European cup of paisley's day. There is far more money and quality spread around the continent.

If it hasn't been for Barca's outrageoua dominance you would expect that he would have won at least 1 more champions league.

I don't think you can compare across era's with any validity though.

Looking back the names involved in the European Cup might not be so 'glorious' as they apparently are now in the latter stages (great marketing by the clubs and UEFA) but you also have to factor in that the likes of Paisley only had British players to choose from because there was the global movement of players there is now. The very best of South America and Europe certainly didn't come to England as they do now and so the resources of Liverpool or Forest etc were more limited and the likes of the French teams were probably stronger (relatively speaking) than they are now.

You also had to win the league to get into the European Cup of course, so again, it was more of an achievement in those days as it was harder to earn your right to play.

retro_royal

by retro_royal » 09 May 2013 14:57

Has Soggs worked out why he posted that picture yet?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 May 2013 16:27

Moyes on a six-year contract.

Faith in him. Massive pay-off for Moyes if it goes horribly wrong.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 09 May 2013 16:30

Hoop Blah I don't think you can compare across era's with any validity though.

Looking back the names involved in the European Cup might not be so 'glorious' as they apparently are now in the latter stages (great marketing by the clubs and UEFA) but you also have to factor in that the likes of Paisley only had British players to choose from because there was the global movement of players there is now. The very best of South America and Europe certainly didn't come to England as they do now and so the resources of Liverpool or Forest etc were more limited and the likes of the French teams were probably stronger (relatively speaking) than they are now.

You also had to win the league to get into the European Cup of course, so again, it was more of an achievement in those days as it was harder to earn your right to play.

Sure, it is difficult to compare.

On the last point, though - it's true that getting into the tournament was harder then, but that in itself made the tournament easier to win. Replace Barcalona, Bayern Munich, Manchester United and PSG with the champions of minor european leagues and you've made things a lot easier on Real Madrid and Dortmund.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 May 2013 16:46

retro_royal Has Soggs worked out why he posted that picture yet?

I'm far more confused by the one on the managerial sack race thread

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 09 May 2013 21:32

Oh dear.

retro_royal

by retro_royal » 09 May 2013 22:13

Silver Fox
retro_royal Has Soggs worked out why he posted that picture yet?

I'm far more confused by the one on the managerial sack race thread

A genuine :| at that pic.

Re the other pic, its a photoshop of a photo that is about 5+ years old and you'd only get the joke if you saw the original thread on Red Issue and knew who the two people in the pic were. Its quite clearly lost on poor Soggs so no idea why he posted it on here.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 09 May 2013 22:26

Surprised Kes hasn't posted this yet

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 May 2013 22:36

Ouroboros

If it hasn't been for Barca's outrageous dominance you would expect that he would have won at least 1 more champions league.

Is it oxf*rd. I seem to remember Liverpool, as holders, being knocked out in the second round in 1978/79 by the eventual winners. The joy of a proper 2 legged cup competition and an unseeded draw after round 1. Every season there was between 6 and 10 teams with a realistic chance of winning it. You also needed to win your domestic league to participate. How many European Cups would Liverpool have won in the 70's and 80's if the top 4 qualified each season and there was a protracted league format?

I will concede that it's now nigh on impossible to win it if you are not one of the monied elite so I doubt we'll ever see another Forest, Villa, Steua or Red Star win it but the Champions League format was created primarily as a sop to the rich clubs to ward of the threat of a breakaway European super league.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 09 May 2013 23:26

From Despair To Where?
Ouroboros

If it hasn't been for Barca's outrageous dominance you would expect that he would have won at least 1 more champions league.

Is it oxf*rd. I seem to remember Liverpool, as holders, being knocked out in the second round in 1978/79 by the eventual winners. The joy of a proper 2 legged cup competition and an unseeded draw after round 1. Every season there was between 6 and 10 teams with a realistic chance of winning it. You also needed to win your domestic league to participate. How many European Cups would Liverpool have won in the 70's and 80's if the top 4 qualified each season and there was a protracted league format?

I will concede that it's now nigh on impossible to win it if you are not one of the monied elite so I doubt we'll ever see another Forest, Villa, Steua or Red Star win it but the Champions League format was created primarily as a sop to the rich clubs to ward of the threat of a breakaway European super league.

Completely agree FDTW although Forest beat Liverpool in the 1st round which I didn't need to look up, although I did anyway and learned that Rangers reached the QFs that year.

PMSL at Rangers. Are they still going?

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 09 May 2013 23:32

in 77 Liverpool defeated Crusaders of Northern Ireland and Trabzonspor of Turkey to reach the quarter finals 4fs. They then played St Etienne who where a decent enough outfit. Twatted Zurich 6-1 in the semi's (fark off).

United in 99

1st Round Group
Barcelona 3-3, 3-3
Bayern Munich 2-2, 1-1
Brondby 6-2, 5-0 (2nd place)
Quarter-Final - Internazionale 2-0, 1-1 (3-1)
Semi-Final - Juventus 1-1, 3-2 (4-3)
Final - Bayern Munich 2-1

Liverpool in 2005

Monaco
Deportivo
Bayer Leverkuesen(sp?)
Juventus
Chelsea
Milan

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 10 May 2013 06:47

TBM Surprised Kes hasn't posted this yet

Whats a sheild?

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 10 May 2013 07:52

SPARTA Oh dear.

This is very confusing as I'm looking for the mis-spelling: you only see tattoos in the internet normally when there is word spelt wrong.

NTRoyal

by NTRoyal » 10 May 2013 08:12

TBM Surprised Kes hasn't posted this yet

What has Jose Mourinho's Real Madrid beating Man Utd got to do with Chelsea?

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 10 May 2013 08:26

SPARTA

SHIT ARM, BAD TATTOO

141 posts