How does everybody feel about AFC Bournemouth this season?

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

How does everybody feel about AFC Bournemouth this season?

by BR2 » 15 Dec 2015 15:00

For many of us they were our local (ish) rivals for many years and living down here I have had to listen to how we bought our success by being big spenders in the lower divisions and only succeeded because we had a wealthy owner.
Now the roles are reversed with Bournemouth achieving promotion to the top level aided by the input from a wealthy owner.

I have to own up to a bit of envy over how the two clubs now stand and 3 or 4 years ago never believed that we would be playing them again as we became an established lower Premier League club with them possibly ending up in the Conference.
Things have changed very quickly and , as we well know, because our wealthy (?) owner (s) greatly reduced their investment in the club we, despite the infrastructure and potential for significant support, are now a mid-table Championship club going nowhere much like Fulham, Blackburn , Huddersfield etc.

I am trying hard to acknowledge how well Bournemouth are doing, particulary after their wins against lowly Chelsea and the greatly injured Man Utd but the feelings of old rivalry linger on and for those who endlessly go on about the Cinderella club coming good I tamely put up the points that:-
(1)Promoted clubs usually do well before Christmas and
(2)Little clubs have been there before such as Barnsley, Bradford, Swindon and the biggest climb of all Oxford (from non-league so it is not such a big deal especially if you throw in Northampton ad Swansea.

Eddie Howe is doubtless a decent manager (a bit early after just 4 Premier League teams to be considered as a future England manager as some in the media have suggested) but most of his players have been there for some time now and I see it a bit like a Sunday League side where mates are all enjoying playing together and the real test of his skills will come when more and more outsiders join the fold.
IMHO Simon Francis and Harry Arter have been excellent and I have said so to some of these "on cloud nine" fans but at times I have smiled through gritted teeth to congratulate them on how they are doing.

Do any others on here , veterans of many games past v Bournemouth, feel the same or am I (yes, I know I am) just an envious old git wishing that his club had made a better and more committed attempt to remain at the top level rather than surrender tamely as we did?

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

Re: How does everybody feel about AFC Bournemouth this seaso

by Winston Smith » 15 Dec 2015 15:01

BR2 For many of us they were our local (ish) rivals for many years

nope. Never seen them as anything but another club out there that we have played now and again over the years. I know they see us as a rival but it's your classic one sided rivalry.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Dec 2015 15:10

I like Eddie Howe a lot and I like watching his current team play so I hope they stay up .

They've had a couple of injuries to key players which could have derailed other clubs in their situation but Howe refused to let them feel sorry for themselves and they've got a fair chance of avoiding relegation.

But it's a snapshot in time. Lets wait and see where they are in 5 or 6 seasons time before we start wringing our hands about how they've succeeded where we've apparently failed so miserably.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 15 Dec 2015 15:15

I like new teams going up and old established clubs dropping down, so essentially I quite like them right now.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 15 Dec 2015 15:28

At my age vision I might well not be around in 5-6 years' time (same goes for everybody on here I suppose) so I am not judging but speaking as a fan who doesn't particularly like that club and have ended up living in it's midst watching them ascend as we descend.
Incidentally the one main injury victim is Callum Wilson-Eddie had barely selected big money signings in Gradel and Mings before they were crocked,preferring to stick with his existing players.
As a matter of interest they have spent around £30 million which I think is more than the other promoted club Norwich and even more so than Watford so the idea that this is little old Bournemouth trying to compete at the top level on limited resources is a fallacy.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Dec 2015 15:38

BR2 At my age vision I might well not be around in 5-6 years' time (same goes for everybody on here I suppose) so I am not judging but speaking as a fan who doesn't particularly like that club and have ended up living in it's midst watching them ascend as we descend.
Incidentally the one main injury victim is Callum Wilson-Eddie had barely selected big money signings in Gradel and Mings before they were crocked,preferring to stick with his existing players.
As a matter of interest they have spent around £30 million which I think is more than the other promoted club Norwich and even more so than Watford so the idea that this is little old Bournemouth trying to compete at the top level on limited resources is a fallacy.

You've been telling us you haven't got much time left since 3rd tier days mate ;-)

Well Mings got injured 2nd game in but given they spent 8m on him I'm pretty certain he was going to be key for them. Gradel started 3 consecutive games before the injury so I'll stand by that one too.

I think it's the press/media that think of fairytale Bournemouth rather than football fans. particularly those that haven't run at the huge losses Bournemouth have for the past two seasons.

I just like Howe really.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 15 Dec 2015 15:42

Not fussed. I've got no interest in the Premier League, but fair play to them.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Dec 2015 15:56

Coppelled_Streets Not fussed. I've got no interest in the Premier League, but fair play to them.

Hark at Kelly Cates over here.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 15 Dec 2015 16:39

Great team spirit clearly (reminds me of us when we first went up.....although we were much better) but they will splash the cash in January and this will upset the balance of the side or something like that and they will plummet as a result. Tempted to back them to go down still as they will now be the biggest price they have ever been to be relegated......

.....still only 11/4 :evil:

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 15 Dec 2015 17:01

I hope Dean Court gets swept into the sea.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Dec 2015 18:51

Vision I like Eddie Howe a lot and I like watching his current team play so I hope they stay up .

They've had a couple of injuries to key players which could have derailed other clubs in their situation but Howe refused to let them feel sorry for themselves and they've got a fair chance of avoiding relegation.

But it's a snapshot in time. Lets wait and see where they are in 5 or 6 seasons time before we start wringing our hands about how they've succeeded where we've apparently failed so miserably.

+ a kabillion

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Dec 2015 18:52

Couldn't give a toss about Bournemouth and have next to no interest in the Premier League outside our involvement in it

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Dec 2015 19:00

...oh I don't know....the bottom five are "interesting"

as is the top one.

WRTTOP, Quite happy to see Bournemouth topple some of the big-boys, quite happy to see them thrive and survive in the Prem.....maybe dishing out a reality check to some of their opposition.
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 15 Dec 2015 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 15 Dec 2015 19:43

I understand your jealousy, we must all feel that, surely. I also get your dislike for them, seeing as you live there. But I wish them no ill, in fact I hope they do well this season. I already love them for beating Chelsea at the Bridge, plus beating Man U. Great for football.

AFCB and Leicester* are my favourite Premiership clubs at the moment. Maybe Palace too. Nothing against Newcastle and Villa either.

* I am a better glory boy than Kes.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Dec 2015 00:03

Bournemouth have always hated us whilst we have never given a shit about them.

I sincerely hope they fcuking sink without trace along with their souls.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Dec 2015 09:02

Eddie Howe is doubtless a decent manager (a bit early after just 4 Premier League teams to be considered as a future England manager as some in the media have suggested) but most of his players have been there for some time now and I see it a bit like a Sunday League side where mates are all enjoying playing together and the real test of his skills will come when more and more outsiders join the fold.

That's not much credit for Howe. When he took over at the club (for his first spell), Bournemouth were in the relegation zone in League Two and fighting a 17 point deduction. To be in the position they are now, almost irrespective of how this season goes, is a testament to his management.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 16 Dec 2015 09:09

It's a testament to dodgy Russian money too isn't it? FFP doesn't seem to apply to Bournemouth with their 12,000 capacity stadium

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 16 Dec 2015 10:13

Winston Smith I like new teams going up and old established clubs dropping down, so essentially I quite like them right now.

Yeah, more power to them. Gives everybody down the pyramid a bit of hope, and they're doing it in a likeable way.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 16 Dec 2015 10:13

Also: Harry Artur. Fucking hell.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Dec 2015 10:26

Silver Fox It's a testament to dodgy Russian money too isn't it?

On the contrary, of Bournemouth's starting XI against United at the weekend, six played for the club in League One (including the entire back four - and captain Tommy Elphick, a six-year stalwart, didn't play), and only one (Josh King) didn't play for the club last season.