The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8821 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Hendo » 02 May 2023 12:01

Sutekh
6ft Kerplunk
NathStPaul All over social media mainly.

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/16 ... 43552?s=20

So it is, and proper media too now.
Glorious, Fat Sam coming in and taken Leeds down will definitely take the edge off our own relegation.

Doesn’t he actually have a good record of avoiding relegation with clubs though?

Yes, been relegated once out of 7 relegation battles, with West Brom:

https://www.90min.com/posts/every-premier-league-relegation-battle-sam-allardyce-has-been-involved-in#:~:text=Allardyce%27s%20reputation%20as%20a%20relegation,secured%20safety%20there%20and%20then.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 May 2023 12:36

I mean, thank god for that sting on Allardyce, but only because it meant Southgate and the success that has followed for the England side. And I'm no big fan of Big Sam, but he basically lost his England job for being the target of a failed sting where he didn't agree to or imply anything much at all. He was a very good manager, and was hard done by by those goings on.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 May 2023 12:40

Sanguine I mean, thank god for that sting on Allardyce, but only because it meant Southgate and the success that has followed for the England side. And I'm no big fan of Big Sam, but he basically lost his England job for being the target of a failed sting where he didn't agree to or imply anything much at all. He was a very good manager, and was hard done by by those goings on.

I don't want to be picky here but what is this success you speak of?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 May 2023 12:43

NathStPaul
Sanguine I mean, thank god for that sting on Allardyce, but only because it meant Southgate and the success that has followed for the England side. And I'm no big fan of Big Sam, but he basically lost his England job for being the target of a failed sting where he didn't agree to or imply anything much at all. He was a very good manager, and was hard done by by those goings on.

I don't want to be picky here but what is this success you speak of?

It's our run to a final and semi-final in major international tournaments that bar 1966 is unprecedented in terms of managerial success in the England role. You're not being picky, but interpreting things differently is just wrong.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 02 May 2023 14:31

Yep. How the FA sacked him over that is mental.

When you read the interviews he did afterwards where he said he was heartbroken and had all he'd ever dreamed of taken from him, you just think, the FA have absolutely no spine and did a disservice to an employee they have a duty of care for.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 02 May 2023 14:41

Hendo
Sutekh
6ft Kerplunk So it is, and proper media too now.
Glorious, Fat Sam coming in and taken Leeds down will definitely take the edge off our own relegation.

Doesn’t he actually have a good record of avoiding relegation with clubs though?

Yes, been relegated once out of 7 relegation battles, with West Brom:

https://www.90min.com/posts/every-premier-league-relegation-battle-sam-allardyce-has-been-involved-in#:~:text=Allardyce%27s%20reputation%20as%20a%20relegation,secured%20safety%20there%20and%20then.

You're only as good as the last job you did.

I suspect the FA realised what a bad mistake it was giving him the England job and eagerly grabbed the flimsiest excuse to sack him.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 02 May 2023 15:01

Leeds are such a spineless team at the moment especially when things start to go wrong in matches.
The likes of Bremner, Hunter and Charlton must turn in their graves (if indeed dead bodies do turn when they are in their graves) seeing how soft this current Leeds team is.

Obviously, like most football fans, I won't be upset when Leeds get relegated this season and it is surely too late for any manager to come in and have the desired effect.
If Allardyce does achieve his objective he won't be far off being regarded as a miracle worker.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 May 2023 18:52

So from fast flowing high pressing football to Ultimate Hoofball in 12 short months.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 May 2023 19:01

South Coast Royal Leeds are such a spineless team at the moment especially when things start to go wrong in matches.
The likes of Bremner, Hunter and Charlton must turn in their graves (if indeed dead bodies do turn when they are in their graves) seeing how soft this current Leeds team is.

Obviously, like most football fans, I won't be upset when Leeds get relegated this season and it is surely too late for any manager to come in and have the desired effect.
If Allardyce does achieve his objective he won't be far off being regarded as a miracle worker.

It’s at the stage where if they’re going to survive they will do despite the manager rather than because of him.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 May 2023 19:23

Are they (Leeds) already relegated?

Last time I looked, they were above the dotted line.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 May 2023 21:16

They are on goal difference but have to play 3 of the top 6 in the final 4 games plus a trip to West Ham.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 May 2023 21:21

From Despair To Where? They are on goal difference but have to play 3 of the top 6 in the final 4 games plus a trip to West Ham.
yeah I know

Strange things happen in any league at this stage of the season (aka QPR’s win at Burnley etc etc)

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 03 May 2023 11:12

Allardyce confirmed. Should be funny.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 May 2023 11:57

£2.5m bonus if Leeds stay up - which could happen if he loses all four games.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 03 May 2023 13:05

Don't mind Big Sam at all. He's often unfairly maligned, was using sports science and data analysis years before most, and that Bolton side properly punched above their weight.

LOL at Little Sammy Lee mind. One last gig in the spotlight, but he can't join Big Sam as he's doing jury service.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 04 May 2023 14:54

Whore Jackie Don't mind Big Sam at all. He's often unfairly maligned.

I saw his presser yesterday - "I'm up there with Pep and Klopp. I'm not saying I'm better than them, but I'm up there with them"

:lol:

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 04 May 2023 20:33

Greatwesternline

Yep. How the FA sacked him over that is mental.

When you read the interviews he did afterwards where he said he was heartbroken and had all he'd ever dreamed of taken from him, you just think, the FA have absolutely no spine and did a disservice to an employee they have a duty of care for.

Best bit of that sting interview was, when offered a drink, he asked for a pint of wine.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 13 May 2023 21:53

BREAKING!!!!! I spoke to Daniel levy and he is appointment pochettino

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 13 May 2023 22:45

Loafer BREAKING!!!!! I spoke to Daniel levy and he is appointment pochettino

B*ll*cks did you. He is going to shitty Chelsea. Fact.
Noone in their right mind wants to go to Spurs.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 13 May 2023 22:57

Ascotexgunner
Loafer BREAKING!!!!! I spoke to Daniel levy and he is appointment pochettino

B*ll*cks did you. He is going to shitty Chelsea. Fact.
Noone in their right mind wants to go to Spurs.

That's what I meant, he said he's going to chelsea

8821 posts