Modern football things that you like

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Modern football things that you like

by Sanguine » 22 May 2023 11:16

Echo some of the comments above.

My first trips to football matches were to Anfield and I remember sitting on the phone all day dialling and re-dialling. This was before telephone queues too. Just engaged tone after engaged tone until I finally got through after hours and secured tickets.

VAR is on the whole a positive for the game. I actually think that it has improved defending, too. Watch how players don't go diving in so rashly in and around the box any more. Not only have we eliminated some of the worst 'trailing leg' simulations, but defenders have learned not to leave anything hanging out to trip over anyway.

I like multi-ball. Don't know if it keeps the ball in play for longer, but ballkids having another ready when one goes out of play is welcome.

Also feels like players are steadily getting more and more technically proficient. In the 90s players like Baggio and Hagi stood out for their touch and control, but modern players have a combination of technical ability and physicality which makes some passages of play totally mesmerising. Compare some of the intricate passing today to, for example, Brazil's 'wonder goal' in the 70s (Carlos Alberto) - a different game entirely.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 May 2023 11:59

Sanguine
Also feels like players are steadily getting more and more technically proficient. In the 90s players like Baggio and Hagi stood out for their touch and control, but modern players have a combination of technical ability and physicality which makes some passages of play totally mesmerising. Compare some of the intricate passing today to, for example, Brazil's 'wonder goal' in the 70s (Carlos Alberto) - a different game entirely.

Each to their own but personally think this one has inhibited the progress of the game

Teams have become so obsessed with passing and passing that a key component of the game, dribbling and having a go at the defence has almost become alien. Pace and trickery terrifies defenders yet you seldom see it nowadays. How many “wingers” actually exist anymore?

Almost think to some extent, certainly the higher ends of the pyramid, football has become like chess, too strategic and too tactical, and lost its spontaneity factor. Could see the argument that players have become better but personally think it’s come as a consequence to the entire game

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 May 2023 12:05

I love the new media side of football that technology has brought in. Its taken the power away from the traditional big players (aside from the actual live broadcasters) and given it to anyone in the public who wants to have a crack. Podcasts, websites and youtube content from people who may not be media trained but have a genuine passion for the game and want to be part of the world surrounding football is brilliant IMO

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 May 2023 12:19

URZZZZ
Sanguine

Each to their own but personally think this one has inhibited the progress of the game

Teams have become so obsessed with passing and passing that a key component of the game, dribbling and having a go at the defence has almost become alien. Pace and trickery terrifies defenders yet you seldom see it nowadays. How many “wingers” actually exist anymore?

Almost think to some extent, certainly the higher ends of the pyramid, football has become like chess, too strategic and too tactical, and lost its spontaneity factor. Could see the argument that players have become better but personally think it’s come as a consequence to the entire game

See your point on wingers, but I guess my point was more broadly about all positions and that includes in defence. I don't think pace and trickery terrifies defenders so much as it used to (unless you're TAA), since so many full-backs in particular (nevermind the 6ft 3ins centre-backs who can move like a young Michael Owen) have it in abundance too.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 May 2023 12:32

one modern thing I like that is that PL has moved well past the whole boring/defensive/4-5-1/Mourninho era of football we had to endure in the 00's

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 22 May 2023 12:52

Sutekh
TiagoIlori The fact you can get minute by minute match updates without being in the same continent, let alone at the stadium.

Wasn’t that long ago when the best we had was teletext or later on, the BBC website if we wanted to find out the latest scores.

Ceefax was brilliant though, still wish it was a thing, much better than the irritating Saturday afternoon "pundit" fests you get now!

It was, miss the suspense of finding out the scores. Having the odd game available on freeview was pretty nice until sky sports took over as well.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 May 2023 13:14

TiagoIlori
Sutekh
TiagoIlori The fact you can get minute by minute match updates without being in the same continent, let alone at the stadium.

Wasn’t that long ago when the best we had was teletext or later on, the BBC website if we wanted to find out the latest scores.

Ceefax was brilliant though, still wish it was a thing, much better than the irritating Saturday afternoon "pundit" fests you get now!

It was, miss the suspense of finding out the scores. Having the odd game available on freeview was pretty nice until sky sports took over as well.

you know you can get mugs made with a ceefax image of your favourite famous football result? I got one made for my brother and got the Reading 0-0 Yeovil score on it when Yeovil had 3 players sent off. Lol.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 May 2023 17:26

Winston Biscuit
TiagoIlori
Sutekh

you know you can get mugs made with a ceefax image of your favourite famous football result? I got one made for my brother and got the Reading 0-0 Yeovil score on it when Yeovil had 3 players sent off. Lol.

That game finished 1-1.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 May 2023 17:38

Sutekh
Winston Biscuit
TiagoIlori It was, miss the suspense of finding out the scores. Having the odd game available on freeview was pretty nice until sky sports took over as well.

That game finished 1-1.

I was questioning the scoreline when I typed my post. The mug was correct thankfully!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 May 2023 08:52

That game oxf*rd sucked.