The Non - League thread

10616 posts
Royalist

Re: The Non - League thread

by Royalist » 24 May 2023 07:02

Royal Rother I think it’s safe to say that Windsor FC, with nowhere to play, will no longer be a thing.

Stott was holding out for his American investors but the Crown held the whip hand and did not fancy their plan, even though it was extraordinarily ambitious.

I’m sure there’ll be much whooping with glee in various quarters but I think one should spare a thought for Kevin. He did what he thought was the right thing 12+ years ago, and in its way it was noble and has given people football to watch in Windsor’s name, but through a litany of poor decisions, terrible management, a lofty arrogance and possibly a bit of bad luck along the way, he has (on the face of it) chucked away £200k+ of his own money, lost face, lost respect and will hopefully now get to witness what a properly run community club, with proper management and partners working together can achieve.

Last Weekend I was walking the dog in the Great Park having parked at Stag Meadow, and he was out there mowing the grass on the training pitch. I’m sure that scratches the surface of the many many hours he has put in behind the scenes, without ever seeking or getting credit for it. It’s a damn shame, but if you can’t manage people, and in fact alienate almost every single person who has provided help and support along the way, then I guess this is the outcome.

You cannot afford to piss off volunteers in lower end non league football and he did that time after time after time.

Personally I have always found him to be a decent, polite gent, but he made his own bed.

I hope he goes quietly but I fear he will not, and will try to find a way to scupper Cooper & Co’s plans.

Yeah as disliked football club owners go he wasn't a bastard but had the complete wrong plan. It must be a very difficult time for him to realise all this time, money and effort has literally been thrown back in his face. I hope eventually the two clubs merge I guess. However non league seems to have a fair few homeless sides that somehow groundshare with very little interest!

Guessing this isn't welcome news for Virginia Water?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 May 2023 07:33

Royalist
Royal Rother I think it’s safe to say that Windsor FC, with nowhere to play, will no longer be a thing.

Stott was holding out for his American investors but the Crown held the whip hand and did not fancy their plan, even though it was extraordinarily ambitious.

I’m sure there’ll be much whooping with glee in various quarters but I think one should spare a thought for Kevin. He did what he thought was the right thing 12+ years ago, and in its way it was noble and has given people football to watch in Windsor’s name, but through a litany of poor decisions, terrible management, a lofty arrogance and possibly a bit of bad luck along the way, he has (on the face of it) chucked away £200k+ of his own money, lost face, lost respect and will hopefully now get to witness what a properly run community club, with proper management and partners working together can achieve.

Last Weekend I was walking the dog in the Great Park having parked at Stag Meadow, and he was out there mowing the grass on the training pitch. I’m sure that scratches the surface of the many many hours he has put in behind the scenes, without ever seeking or getting credit for it. It’s a damn shame, but if you can’t manage people, and in fact alienate almost every single person who has provided help and support along the way, then I guess this is the outcome.

You cannot afford to piss off volunteers in lower end non league football and he did that time after time after time.

Personally I have always found him to be a decent, polite gent, but he made his own bed.

I hope he goes quietly but I fear he will not, and will try to find a way to scupper Cooper & Co’s plans.

Yeah as disliked football club owners go he wasn't a bastard but had the complete wrong plan. It must be a very difficult time for him to realise all this time, money and effort has literally been thrown back in his face. I hope eventually the two clubs merge I guess. However non league seems to have a fair few homeless sides that somehow groundshare with very little interest!

Guessing this isn't welcome news for Virginia Water?

Are they still at Stag Meadow? Do they have plans to return to The Timbers or can't that be brought up to standard?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 May 2023 08:58

Especially concerning for VW seeing as they have already paid next season's rent for Stag Meadow! I believe 2023/24 was to be the last season of groundhare for them, and that things were finally taking shape at The Timbers - I think it was the local residents objections (you know, floodlights and all that!) that have delayed their plans for the last 5+ years.

I can't see the sense in Windsor FC continuing but there was a LOT of money on the table from the Americans and I suppose there's a chance they'll still support Kevin Stott, and initially look for a groundshare, then a site for ground-up investment, building from scratch.

It would make for good TV but I would suspect they'll withdraw now, although Stott finds it very hard to back down and accept defeat so it definitely has the potential to run and run.

Watch this space I suppose.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 24 May 2023 11:07

I've seen Amersham are actively seeking 'lodgers" for 23-24 but that's a stretch for VW - they have been shifted into the CCL tho with Holmer Gn too (provisionally) :?

Southall is an odd one too - have announced they are groundsharing @ Burnham next season?
...more to come ..... :mrgreen:

Be surprised if 'The Timbers' gets brought up to standard - not just cos the pitch (like Amersham's) is on a sort of elevated plateau and in a quiet leafy public park in deepest Nimbyland.....

Shame they can't 'squat' over at Wheatsheaf Pk in Staines for a spell?
...too many owner/social club/land restrictions still hanging about I'd expect and that will drag on for years probably.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 May 2023 11:50

Four Of Clubs I've seen Amersham are actively seeking 'lodgers" for 23-24 but that's a stretch for VW - they have been shifted into the CCL tho with Holmer Gn too (provisionally) :?

Southall is an odd one too - have announced they are groundsharing @ Burnham next season?
...more to come ..... :mrgreen:

Be surprised if 'The Timbers' gets brought up to standard - not just cos the pitch (like Amersham's) is on a sort of elevated plateau and in a quiet leafy public park in deepest Nimbyland.....

Shame they can't 'squat' over at Wheatsheaf Pk in Staines for a spell?
...too many owner/social club/land restrictions still hanging about I'd expect and that will drag on for years probably.

Bottom Meadow has a 3G but is there room for 3 clubs to share as obvs. one would have to have Sunday or Friday night kick offs.

Royalist

by Royalist » 25 May 2023 19:20

Hidden behind a paywall but it seems Kevin Stott isn't giving up and still thinks he has a 10 million dollar investment from the US and will speak to the king's right hand man.

:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 May 2023 20:15

Oh for the W&E of the early nineties

Local rivalry with Slough, Jerry Williams on the wing, facing-up to Wayne oxf*rd’s team….selling players on to Sutton United…who went on to score a hattrick against Spurs etc etc etc

Decent club house and reasonable crowds back then too

Quite a decent Saturday afternoon out in all honesty.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 May 2023 21:40

Royalist Hidden behind a paywall but it seems Kevin Stott isn't giving up and still thinks he has a 10 million dollar investment from the US and will speak to the king's right hand man.

:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Destination Football - Andrew Stalbow & Franklin Leonard. Look them up and you’ll probably get the gist of the plans.

It’s all genuine, but.... if it quickly became apparent the plans were not going to produce the income needed to make it a successful investment, what would they have done?

Cooper’s plans are also ambitious, but more grounded, and although the little boy in me would have loved to see what the Americans could do, on balance I definitely think Cooper & Co is probably the best way forward.

It’s all moot though, because Cooper has a 25 year lease on Stag Meadow and Stott & Co do not. There isn’t a chance in hell that KC3’s advisors will go against what has already been set in motion. Stott certainly talks a good story though - as he did 12+ years ago and pretty much failed to deliver in every aspect.

But as I said yesterday, Stott is not one to back down easily. What is indisputable is that he seems to have played the worst hand ever and lost himself a small fortune in the process. Which I take no pleasure from whatsoever.

As someone said recently on here (I think) Kevin Stott does not get anywhere close to the bastard chairman category.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 26 May 2023 11:16

Hednesford town have pulled out of the 23/24 season they were due to play in the Northern Premier West league(step 4).

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 May 2023 11:52

Royals and Racers Hednesford town have pulled out of the 23/24 season they were due to play in the Northern Premier West league(step 4).

What a sad demise for them. Used to enjoy going there, decent chairman etc. They finished third in the conference in the 90s and pretty sure they won the FA Trophy recently too. They have such a nice, compact, decent non-league ground. What a mess.

Royalist

by Royalist » 30 May 2023 09:51

Sutekh Please god, don't let the new club be called AFC Windsor!

Judging by social media accounts it's going by the name Windsor And Eton. I'm a little bit surprised you can launch a new club with a old name tbh.

The original club have acknowledged the dramatic developments with a few words on Twitter saying they are working hard planning for next year :roll:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 May 2023 11:01

Royalist
Sutekh Please god, don't let the new club be called AFC Windsor!

Judging by social media accounts it's going by the name Windsor And Eton. I'm a little bit surprised you can launch a new club with a old name tbh.

The original club have acknowledged the dramatic developments with a few words on Twitter saying they are working hard planning for next year :roll:

The original name would have ceased trading when it was wound up so unless the name was trademarked then I don't think there's necessarily a problem about it being used again after over a decade of inactivity, plus it would have a different registration and foundation date at companies house to the old entity.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 May 2023 11:13

I don't want to say who yet but I was offered a job at a club two steps higher than I currently manage, decent local Combined Counties side. Huge commitment but I don't think I can pass up the opportunity.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 May 2023 15:30

NathStPaul I don't want to say who yet but I was offered a job at a club two steps higher than I currently manage, decent local Combined Counties side. Huge commitment but I don't think I can pass up the opportunity.

Good for you, good luck!

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 30 May 2023 15:53

NathStPaul I don't want to say who yet but I was offered a job at a club two steps higher than I currently manage, decent local Combined Counties side. Huge commitment but I don't think I can pass up the opportunity.

berks county

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 31 May 2023 10:44

The FA have announced that they will introduce a points deduction across all levels of grass roots football from the start of the 2023/24 season for teams if their players or coaches commit repeated offences of serious misconduct.
About time to !!!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 May 2023 10:46

Royals and Racers The FA have announced that they will introduce a points deduction across all levels of grass roots football from the start of the 2023/24 season for teams if their players or coaches commit repeated offences of serious misconduct.
About time to !!!

Singh Sabha will presumably be starting next season on -106 points?

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 31 May 2023 11:44

NathStPaul
Royals and Racers The FA have announced that they will introduce a points deduction across all levels of grass roots football from the start of the 2023/24 season for teams if their players or coaches commit repeated offences of serious misconduct.
About time to !!!

Singh Sabha will presumably be starting next season on -106 points?

They hold the record -106

Catchy

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 May 2023 12:26

Slough Town seemingly signing every Bracknell Town player.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 31 May 2023 14:03

why are singh shabba starting on -106?

10616 posts