Weekend Football

6027 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Weekend Football

by Royal Rother » 13 May 2024 09:22

Never ceases to amaze how pathetic some football supporters are.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 May 2024 09:34

Tomorrows game should have been played weeks, I`m sure they could have fitted it in somewhere, the PL are clueless, if Spurs lose heavily obvious questions about the games very integrity will be asked.
United put in a good shift yesterday to try and give city the title, somehow I think it will be the opposite tomorrow evening.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 May 2024 09:40

It's very apparent that you are all speaking as fans of a team that has no hardcore rivals. Arsenal fans are saying that if the shoe were on the other foot, they'd want to lose too. I completely get it

My Dad grew up in North London and has supported Spurs since he was a kid. He texted me yesterday saying that if Spurs turn up tomorrow he'll be raging

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 May 2024 09:48

Surely if Villa lose tonight, Spurs' desire to keep their top 4 hopes alive must trump their wish for Arsenal to lose the title?

If Villa win tonight then who knows. Perhaps they'll be cheering City goals tomorrow. Which is pathetic. I have a friend who grew up as a glory supporting United fan who a few years ago, before 2020, was cheering the role they played in denying Liverpool their 1st Premier League title when they lost to City. Come on, how pathetic do you look? That your rivals are so much better than you, all you can do to deny them is lose to other teams?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 13 May 2024 09:52

genome It's very apparent that you are all speaking as fans of a team that has no hardcore rivals

That was something I pondered on and wondered if the experience of having a rival would change my feeling on it. But no, anytime I see or hear a Spurs fans say they want their team to lose to help Man City they just come across as someone desperately trying to create an image that they are a more hardcore & dedicated Spurs fan than others are.

WestYorksRoyal If Villa win tonight then who knows. Perhaps they'll be cheering City goals tomorrow. Which is pathetic. I have a friend who grew up as a glory supporting United fan who a few years ago, before 2020, was cheering the role they played in denying Liverpool their 1st Premier League title when they lost to City. Come on, how pathetic do you look? That your rivals are so much better than you, all you can do to deny them is lose to other teams?

Thats the bit I don't think these 'I am so much more of a Spurs fan than the rest' don't realise. It actually makes them look smalltime, like their rival matters far more to them than their own club does.
Last edited by Winston Biscuit on 13 May 2024 09:53, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 May 2024 09:53

Winston Biscuit
genome It's very apparent that you are all speaking as fans of a team that has no hardcore rivals

That was something I pondered on and wondered if the experience of having a rival would change my feeling on it. But no, anytime I see or hear a Spurs fans say they want their team to lose to help Man City they just come across as someone desperately trying to create an image that they are a more hardcore & dedicated Spurs fan than others are.

Fine, you're wrong though

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 13 May 2024 09:54

genome
Winston Biscuit

I disagree with you!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 May 2024 09:56

Didn't someone seriously post on "The Team" a couple of weeks ago "Shall we lose to Blackpoll to stop Poxford getting into the play-offs"?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 May 2024 09:56

Winston Biscuit
genome
Winston Biscuit

I disagree with you!

Well, here is my counter retort!

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 13 May 2024 10:08

genome It's very apparent that you are all speaking as fans of a team that has no hardcore rivals. Arsenal fans are saying that if the shoe were on the other foot, they'd want to lose too. I completely get it

My Dad grew up in North London and has supported Spurs since he was a kid. He texted me yesterday saying that if Spurs turn up tomorrow he'll be raging

Your Dad sounds like a fcuking idiot!

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 13 May 2024 10:15

reckon West Ham might let in a truly astounding number of goals on the final day

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 May 2024 10:59

Dirk Gently Didn't someone seriously post on "The Team" a couple of weeks ago "Shall we lose to Blackpoll to stop Poxford getting into the play-offs"?

Tbf, that Blackpool game was a dead rubber and I'd happily swap the win for an Oxford loss at Wembley.

But for a game with anything meaningful riding on it, there's no contest.

And it doesn't feel as pathetic for us. I think we've closed the gap on Oxford since the start of the season and could well restore order by finishing above them next season, hence I don't want them to go up and make that impossible. Whereas Spurs are light years off Arsenal and just look desperate holding out for any solace.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 May 2024 12:27

Dirk Gently Didn't someone seriously post on "The Team" a couple of weeks ago "Shall we lose to Blackpoll to stop Poxford getting into the play-offs"?

Also pathetic tbf

If Spurs weren't so small time they'd be moaning about the fact that they should be challenging City for the title, not hoping not to help Arsenal

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 May 2024 14:28

Silver Fox

Also pathetic tbf

If Spurs weren't so small time they'd be moaning about the fact that they should be challenging City for the title, not hoping not to help Arsenal

Kane wasn't the only jinx at Spurs then.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 13 May 2024 15:16

Watching that bit of a dirge of a game yesterday after the 2 games of 0-0 in Championship play-off games I was thinking about the Premier League effect on our top level and wondered how competitive and/or entertaining it really us.

Looking back at 1991/92 some interesting ( to me at any rate) things happened.

There were already 3 points for a win but there were 4 more matches than now, i.e. 42.
The final table showed:-
Top 3
Leeds W22 Lost 4 D16 Goals 74 points 82
Man Utd W21 Lost 6 D15 Goals 63 points 78
Sheff Wed. W21 Lost 9 D12 Goals 62 points 75

Bottom 3
Luton W10 points 42
Notts Co.W10 points 40
West Ham W9 points 38

With a game or two left for this season some things stand out when comparing.

The top 3 will all have more points despite there being 4 less games.
The bottom 3 will have considerably less points
The top 3 have already won more games and scored loads more goals
The bottom 3 have won just 14 games whereas in 91/92 they won 29 and amassed 120 points compared to this season's 66 with a total of 3 games left.

The managers of all 22 clubs were British apart from one Irish.
Every club captain was British or Irish.
The longest winning run was just 6 games by...................Southampton.

With Wright and Lineker being top scorers with 29 and 28 it is clear that goals are now much more spread around as there are so many of them.
There were 17 hat-tricks that season.

Lots of things to conclude.

There are far less drawn games
Defenders generally had the upper hand over attackers
Keepers are worse (just my take)
The league is less competitive
Man Utd used to be quite good.

More and more it does feel as though only clubs with big money can challenge at the top-whether that will change following more stringent financial regulations who knows?
Crowds are bigger despite major TV coverage..

Any other observations, good or bad?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 May 2024 16:55

I'd say that all the physical factors that measure speed of players, distance run, intensity of play etc will have increased since 1992.

Some players used to coast a lot of the game, but anyone trying to do that k=now would be instantly found out.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 13 May 2024 20:04

EmiLOLiano MaROFLtinez.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 13 May 2024 21:20

genome It's very apparent that you are all speaking as fans of a team that has no hardcore rivals. Arsenal fans are saying that if the shoe were on the other foot, they'd want to lose too. I completely get it

I can't remember the shoe ever being on the other foot in North London and there is certainly no danger of spurs winning anything. :D :D :D

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 13 May 2024 22:30

Duran 85’

2-3, come on Villa

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 13 May 2024 22:30