Weekend Football

6073 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Weekend Football

by Franchise FC » 15 May 2024 08:32

Silver Fox Most Arsenal fans have some memory of success so I'm not convinced they'd be quite as small time as the Spurs fans were

I thought that, finishing apart, Spurs played pretty well and gave as good as they got.
Fine margins and all that, but Ortega ultimately proved to be the difference. (who knows if if would have been different with Ederson)
That and, as the commentary team kept suggesting, there was always going to be at least one, DeBruyne, Foden, Haaland moment … it was always going to be whether they could convert it

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 15 May 2024 08:34

planned on putting money on Man City scoring a hatfull against West Ham but the odds are terrible. To score 4 or more they are only evens and 5 or more is 9/4

Looks like they also expect West Ham to take something of a walloping

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 May 2024 09:05

Franchise FC
Silver Fox Most Arsenal fans have some memory of success so I'm not convinced they'd be quite as small time as the Spurs fans were

I thought that, finishing apart, Spurs played pretty well and gave as good as they got.
Fine margins and all that, but Ortega ultimately proved to be the difference. (who knows if if would have been different with Ederson)
That and, as the commentary team kept suggesting, there was always going to be at least one, DeBruyne, Foden, Haaland moment … it was always going to be whether they could convert it

Important saves, but Son shouldn't be giving him a chance. His connection was poor and there was not enough power. A player of his quality scores that perhaps 75% of the time.

But champions get that bit of luck.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 15 May 2024 09:12

Fair play to Postecoglou for calling the Spurs (and the fans) for being Spursy. Wonder if he's seen enough this season to think about jumping ship.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 May 2024 09:13

6ft Kerplunk Fair play to Postecoglou for calling the Spurs (and the fans) for being Spursy. Wonder if he's seen enough this season to think about jumping ship.

I know it isn't much of an improvement but I wonder if United might have a look at Ange. He's the right sort of personality for them and at least they are a club with a track record of success.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 May 2024 09:22

Again speaking with authority on a subject you lot have no idea about because Reading don't have a hardcore rival. I have been around the Arsenal Spurs rivalry since I was a child, they 100% would, in fact I have spoken to 2 this week who have said as much.

Anyway, Exhibit A, Arsenal fans wanting their team to lose:

https://twitter.com/kanefromthelane/sta ... 3922706593

Exhibit B, saying they didn't care if they won the Europa League final, as long as Spurs lost the Champions League final:

https://twitter.com/Carra23/status/1790502870745301497

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 May 2024 09:29

NathStPaul
6ft Kerplunk Fair play to Postecoglou for calling the Spurs (and the fans) for being Spursy. Wonder if he's seen enough this season to think about jumping ship.

I know it isn't much of an improvement but I wonder if United might have a look at Ange. He's the right sort of personality for them and at least they are a club with a track record of success.

More than a decade ago

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 May 2024 09:32

I wonder how different Spurs fans would have been last night if they actually thought they could win. Let's be honest - we all knew City would win and they did.

If Spurs were still in their early season form and had 4th place in their own hands, I suspect it would have been different. Instead, it was more a "meh" atmosphere that they were probably going to lose and at least it would stop Arsenal.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 May 2024 09:37

Spurs fans are on a hiding to nothing anyway

Lose, end up in a competition (EL) your squad is probably more suited to anyway, banter received for it being "Spursy", noone will remember it a year from now

Win or draw, banter received for handing a trophy to your rivals until the end of fcuking time

Easy choice. As I said. Anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't understand what it means to have an actual rivalry.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 15 May 2024 10:05

Winston Biscuit planned on putting money on Man City scoring a hatfull against West Ham but the odds are terrible. To score 4 or more they are only evens and 5 or more is 9/4

What are the odds on West Ham winning?

I might have a punt. The draw too.

It’s a three horse race.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 May 2024 10:07

YorkshireRoyal99 Whoever said Aston Villa might be a candidate for the top 4 this season doesn't watch football correctly.

:?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 15 May 2024 10:10

LUX
Winston Biscuit planned on putting money on Man City scoring a hatfull against West Ham but the odds are terrible. To score 4 or more they are only evens and 5 or more is 9/4

It’s a three horse race.

Away win 22-1 :shock:

The draw 12-1.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 15 May 2024 10:20

genome Spurs fans are on a hiding to nothing anyway

Lose, end up in a competition (EL) your squad is probably more suited to anyway, banter received for it being "Spursy", noone will remember it a year from now

Win or draw, banter received for handing a trophy to your rivals until the end of fcuking time

Easy choice. As I said. Anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't understand what it means to have an actual rivalry.

The trouble with Spurs fans , possibly more than most, is that they get carried away far too quickly.
Back in the Autumn Ange was The Messiah and Spurs were going to win the league.

It's Spurs, they flatter to deceive but will probably be around the top 5 or so for the next few seasons with reasonable players in Van De Ven, Sarr, Kulusevski, Johnson & co forming the nucleus of a fair side like Villa or Newcastle but still some way off the top 3 who are currently way ahead of the rest and their squads are quite young so could well improve further.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 May 2024 10:21

Yeah, not gonna argue with the fans getting carried away.

Not really convinced with Kulusevski in Ange's system. Too slow

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 15 May 2024 10:22

genome Easy choice. As I said. Anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't understand what it means to have an actual rivalry.

I am going with a strong disagree on this one. Almost all clubs have a big rivalry (we must have one of a tiny minority that don't), and you don't see them doing what Spurs fans were doing last night. I can't think of any club ever doing what Spurs fans did last night tbh

Doing 'the poznan' when your own team let a goal in because you have decided your rival club is more important to you than your own club is?!

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 15 May 2024 10:25

LUX
LUX

It’s a three horse race.

Away win 22-1 :shock:

The draw 12-1.

If it had been say Wolves, Palace or Brighton you could see that on a good day they could frustrate City for some time but it's those happy go lucky cor blimey guv we won the world cup 'ammers.

What I would like to see is either for both teams to lose or both to draw and Arsenal again to dream of what might have been.
It won't happen as last night's Ortega save was probably the Gerrard moment avoided.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 May 2024 10:30

Winston Biscuit
genome Easy choice. As I said. Anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't understand what it means to have an actual rivalry.

I am going with a strong disagree on this one. Almost all clubs have a big rivalry (we must have one of a tiny minority that don't), and you don't see them doing what Spurs fans were doing last night. I can't think of any club ever doing what Spurs fans did last night tbh

Doing 'the poznan' when your own team let a goal in because you have decided your rival club is more important to you than your own club is?!

Can you find me a similar situation then? It just feels like such a one-off, so not sure how you can say that without just assuming, which is not fair

Won't disagree on the Poznan thing being a bit lame. But it wasn't like the whole stand was doing it. Just about 3 blokes. But I guess that's the kind of world we live in now... a few people do it, everyone must of course think the same way

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 May 2024 10:53

LUX

It’s a three horse race.

A three horse race where two are already glue sticks

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 15 May 2024 11:55

Of course it is nailed on City will win. To be honest, I hope they do.

But it is rare to get 22-1 on an away win.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 15 May 2024 12:13

Spurs "fans" are an embarrassing disgrace. Of course we knew that anyway.
Feel sorry for Ange having to put up with that lot.

6073 posts