Weekend Football

6098 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Weekend Football

by Franchise FC » 15 May 2024 12:36

Royality creeps In Spurs "fans" are an embarrassing disgrace. Of course we knew that anyway.
Feel sorry for Ange having to put up with that lot.

I guess the truth is that they knew (or had a really good guess) that they were going to lose anyway.
Reacting as they did minimises the pain just a little

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 15 May 2024 12:45

genome
Winston Biscuit
genome Easy choice. As I said. Anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't understand what it means to have an actual rivalry.

I am going with a strong disagree on this one. Almost all clubs have a big rivalry (we must have one of a tiny minority that don't), and you don't see them doing what Spurs fans were doing last night. I can't think of any club ever doing what Spurs fans did last night tbh

Doing 'the poznan' when your own team let a goal in because you have decided your rival club is more important to you than your own club is?!

Can you find me a similar situation then? It just feels like such a one-off, so not sure how you can say that without just assuming, which is not fair

its not a one off at all though, I think thats part of what people are bemused at.

Would you see Everton fans saying they want to lose, then cheering when they let goals in and when they have lost to say, Man City or Arsenal this season, if it helps to stop Liverpool win the league, even though it means Everton would be pushed closer to relegation?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 May 2024 13:20

Winston Biscuit
genome
Winston Biscuit
I am going with a strong disagree on this one. Almost all clubs have a big rivalry (we must have one of a tiny minority that don't), and you don't see them doing what Spurs fans were doing last night. I can't think of any club ever doing what Spurs fans did last night tbh

Doing 'the poznan' when your own team let a goal in because you have decided your rival club is more important to you than your own club is?!

Can you find me a similar situation then? It just feels like such a one-off, so not sure how you can say that without just assuming, which is not fair

its not a one off at all though, I think thats part of what people are bemused at.

Would you see Everton fans saying they want to lose, then cheering when they let goals in and when they have lost to say, Man City or Arsenal this season, if it helps to stop Liverpool win the league, even though it means Everton would be pushed closer to relegation?

When has it happened previously?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 15 May 2024 13:30

genome
Winston Biscuit
genome

eh?

This season Everton played at home to Man City. Everton were in a mess and in danger of going down, but Liverpool were top of the league on 42 points that day. If Man City won, Everton would have known it would help to stop Liverpool win the league. Were Everton fans hoping for Man City to win to stop their rival winning the league, even though it would have been detrimental to Everton?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 May 2024 13:36

Winston Biscuit
genome
Winston Biscuit

eh?

This season Everton played at home to Man City. Everton were in a mess and in danger of going down, but Liverpool were top of the league on 42 points that day. If Man City won, Everton would have known it would help to stop Liverpool win the league. Were Everton fans hoping for Man City to win to stop their rival winning the league, even though it would have been detrimental to Everton?

You are comparing something halfway through a season (in December no less) to the penultimate game where a title outcome would become a certainty depending on the result. It's completely different, not even remotely comparable. If the Spurs vs City game happened as regularly scheduled months ago, this whole conversation would not have been a thing at all.

Also the Liverpool vs Everton rivalry is pretty tepid but that's a different point

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 15 May 2024 13:40

I think this is going to only end in me offering my strong disagreement with you on this genome, so best we just leave it here tbh

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 May 2024 13:46

At least last night gave us this

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 15 May 2024 14:07

genome
Winston Biscuit
genome

eh?

You are comparing something halfway through a season (in December no less) to the penultimate game where a title outcome would become a certainty depending on the result. It's completely different, not even remotely comparable. If the Spurs vs City game happened as regularly scheduled months ago, this whole conversation would not have been a thing at all.

Also the Liverpool vs Everton rivalry is pretty tepid but that's a different point

I wouldn't call it tepid.
It has become a little less antagonistic because for so many years now the two clubs have operated at different ends to the table and that looks likely to be the case for some time to come.

BTW it is only Everton that somehow think that they are "The people's club" in the city, something they made up themselves to make them feel better and to try and counter the worldwide support now enjoyed by the Super Reds.
Perhaps Spurs' fans might do the same as just chanting "yid army" doesn't seem to have done the trick.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 May 2024 14:18

Regardless of whether genome appreciates how small time Spurs are it's going to be funny when they lose to Sheff United on Sunday and end up in the conference league

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 May 2024 14:40

genome Spurs fans are on a hiding to nothing anyway

Lose, end up in a competition (EL) your squad is probably more suited to anyway, banter received for it being "Spursy", noone will remember it a year from now

Win or draw, banter received for handing a trophy to your rivals until the end of fcuking time

Easy choice. As I said. Anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't understand what it means to have an actual rivalry.

m8 I'd stop now, it's getting pretty embarrassing. Even your manager called it out last night.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 May 2024 15:22

Jesus leon that's from the Kes playbook, I expected better

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 May 2024 15:40

Anyway, just trying to lend a different perspective so maybe we could have a bit of a different conversation other than "lol Spurs" all the time, and I thought I presented a pretty well-reasoned argument.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 15 May 2024 16:22

Even though I disagreed, I appreciated the conflab ok this topic Genome!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 May 2024 16:48

I guess, as one of the traditional "Big 5", when you've only won 2 league cups in 30 years, you have to take the little victories wherever you can manufacture them.

Must be galling to spend 4 decades playing second fiddle to your big rivals.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 May 2024 19:09

From Despair To Where? I guess, as one of the traditional "Big 5", when you've only won 2 league cups in 30 years, you have to take the little victories wherever you can manufacture them.

Replace "2 league cups" with "1 FA Cup" and you could be talking about Everton. Same applies.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 May 2024 19:11

Dirk Gently
From Despair To Where? I guess, as one of the traditional "Big 5", when you've only won 2 league cups in 30 years, you have to take the little victories wherever you can manufacture them.

Replace "2 league cups" with "1 FA Cup" and you could be talking about Everton. Same applies.

Everton fans tend to define their seasons in terms of their own successes and failures rather than Liverpool's.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 May 2024 19:29

South Coast Royal
genome
Winston Biscuit
eh?

I wouldn't call it tepid.
It has become a little less antagonistic because for so many years now the two clubs have operated at different ends to the table and that looks likely to be the case for some time to come.

BTW it is only Everton that somehow think that they are "The people's club" in the city, something they made up themselves to make them feel better and to try and counter the worldwide support now enjoyed by the Super Reds.
Perhaps Spurs' fans might do the same as just chanting "yid army" doesn't seem to have done the trick.

Everton do a fcuk of a lot more work in the community than Liverpool so they do take being the "People's Club" quite seriously.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 15 May 2024 20:34

8)

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 15 May 2024 21:09

:cry:

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 May 2024 21:09

The power of the ETH half time team talk!

6098 posts