VAR

1791 posts
BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

Re: VAR

by BRO_BOT » 15 May 2024 18:39

Winston Biscuit PL clubs to vote next month on whether to scrap VAR or not

get rid, I don't enjoy celebrating 'goals' (i.e. the thing we're there for) any more

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 May 2024 23:00

BRO_BOT
Winston Biscuit PL clubs to vote next month on whether to scrap VAR or not

get rid, I don't enjoy celebrating 'goals' (i.e. the thing we're there for) any more

Please please please please please please!

Much prefer to have the old days of normal refereeing and human error than the incompetent cr@p we get now and stupidity of goals being ruled out because someone's bootlace is offside! Not to mention the interminable length of time it takes for decisions to be made and disparity in cup competitions when PL sides playing at home get to use it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 May 2024 08:43

Feels very shortsighted to me, just getting rid. They just need to vote or putting strict rules in place on how/when it can be used and even applying a time limit i.e. if you spot nothing obvous in 30 secs, the decision stays as it was given on the pitch.

Removing it will just see PL clubs playing without it domestically and with it in Europe.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 May 2024 08:44

I cannot put into words just how strongly my hatred for VAR is tbh. get rid and never bring it back please

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 May 2024 09:41

How many other major leagues have binned VAR?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 May 2024 09:52

Stranded Feels very shortsighted to me, just getting rid. They just need to vote or putting strict rules in place on how/when it can be used and even applying a time limit i.e. if you spot nothing obvous in 30 secs, the decision stays as it was given on the pitch.

Removing it will just see PL clubs playing without it domestically and with it in Europe.

Don't necessarily see this as a bad thing as Europe seem to know how to use it, but we just can't seem to get it right here or bring it up to the same level.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 May 2024 10:03

my only issue with a post VAR removal world is that you just know the likes of Sky Sports will continue to use lines drawn on the pitch when an offside is not called, to try and push all the conversation towards a 'ooh you wouldn't have had that with VAR'

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 May 2024 10:13

Hendo
Stranded Feels very shortsighted to me, just getting rid. They just need to vote or putting strict rules in place on how/when it can be used and even applying a time limit i.e. if you spot nothing obvous in 30 secs, the decision stays as it was given on the pitch.

Don't necessarily see this as a bad thing as Europe seem to know how to use it, but we just can't seem to get it right here or bring it up to the same level.

Then the "simple" answer is to get the English refs working with/learning from the refs across Europe and bring in best practice from elsewhere.

VAR is not perfect here in the Bundesliga but it is so much better than the PL and seems to act purely on asking the ref if he saw XYZ, if s/he did, they stay out of it. If not they ask them to go take a look at the monitor. Seen many a goal given that would have been wiped out for offside etc here as the check is often -

VAR: Player A was offside
Ref: Yes but we agreed he wasn't interfering
VAR: OK, good to go.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 May 2024 10:22

Winston Biscuit my only issue with a post VAR removal world is that you just know the likes of Sky Sports will continue to use lines drawn on the pitch when an offside is not called, to try and push all the conversation towards a 'ooh you wouldn't have had that with VAR'

If we can use it relatively successfully in every other major league, then binning it is a huge backwards step.

Jinx

by Jinx » 16 May 2024 10:24

Get rid of it for a year, while they learn how to do it properly and agree the formal rules for its use

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 May 2024 10:25

Sanguine
Winston Biscuit my only issue with a post VAR removal world is that you just know the likes of Sky Sports will continue to use lines drawn on the pitch when an offside is not called, to try and push all the conversation towards a 'ooh you wouldn't have had that with VAR'

If we can use it relatively successfully in every other major league, then binning it is a huge backwards step.

depends what you class successful as tbh

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 May 2024 10:36

Winston Biscuit
Sanguine

depends what you class successful as tbh

Well, anecdotally per Stranded, it's not perfect in the Bundesliga but works much better. I don't recall VAR making many headlines in La Liga, save for a couple of times when it dared to rule against Real Madrid.

The 'problem' with the technology isn't really about the tech itself, in my view. It's football culture. It wants offside, it just doesn't want offside to be determined by a computer, because that's pedantic. It wants VAR to deal with reckless challenges, but it wants its own players to escape sanction because their boot brushed the ball before subsequently crushing a shin. And mostly it wants VAR to be there went it wants it, and not when it doesn't - see hundreds of City fans visibly calling for it after Porro's challenge earlier this week, correctly sanctioned with a yellow card.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 May 2024 10:41

I don't want VAR as it changes the game too much. Even if used to make all the calls correct, it would need to change too much about how the game is to be able to do that, and that to me is not success.

get it in the bin

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 16 May 2024 11:04

Stranded
Hendo

Then the "simple" answer is to get the English refs working with/learning from the refs across Europe and bring in best practice from elsewhere.

VAR is not perfect here in the Bundesliga but it is so much better than the PL and seems to act purely on asking the ref if he saw XYZ, if s/he did, they stay out of it. If not they ask them to go take a look at the monitor. Seen many a goal given that would have been wiped out for offside etc here as the check is often -

VAR: Player A was offside
Ref: Yes but we agreed he wasn't interfering
VAR: OK, good to go.

Spot on.
We can't just do a Brexit and get rid of it when everybody else uses it and it will be used in European Club competitions as well as Euros and World Cups.

Part of the issue is the dreadful standard of our referees both on the pitch and in the VAR room.
Oliver and Taylor are thought to be our best but whereas Oliver used to have an air of authority I think his standards have dropped and Taylor has never been any good.

Add in the likes of Hooper, Coote,Tierney ,Attwell and co and we have a load of amateurs being paid as professionals-I even saw our old friend Keith Stroud as 4th official last night.

IIRC for a while wasn't Collina involved with training some of our refs?
Those officiating for the various European competitions all seem to have more of a presence about them as if they have a feeling for and understanding of the game-Yes Green, something they do better on the continent. :wink:

So rather than take a step backwards and be out of sync with everybody else just get it working better.

Also I would like to see a penalty for every time the ball hits a defender's hand or arm in the penalty area-it looks very much as though in Europe that is what happens -it may be unfortunate on the defender but , as with hockey where I understand a free hit is given whenever the ball hits a player's foot, intentionally or not,it would stop any uncertainty and would probably level out over a season (as the saying goes).

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 May 2024 11:08

Quite simply, if it's to be used, VAR should only be used to draw the referee's attention to things they haven't seen and NOT get involved with things that they have seen. If a referee wants to see something again then he should be at liberty to ask to do so at the next break in play.

Why can't all the referees, for all the top leagues, be drawn from a single European pool of referees, they would all then be trained to the same standard and VAR could be set to be used in the same manner throughout Europe. Also might help with any arguments of bias or corruption.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 May 2024 11:10

South Coast Royal We can't just do a Brexit and get rid of it when everybody else uses it and it will be used in European Club competitions as well as Euros and World Cups

I genuinely don't understand why not

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 16 May 2024 11:46

Winston Biscuit
South Coast Royal We can't just do a Brexit and get rid of it when everybody else uses it and it will be used in European Club competitions as well as Euros and World Cups

Because football is a worldwide game?
Should we perhaps make the goal bigger so that we see more goals or widen pitches or do any other changes?

Let's get it to work at the best level that we can just as with the review system in cricket.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 May 2024 11:51

South Coast Royal
Winston Biscuit

not every aspect of it has to be identical in every country for it to be successful and for people to enjoy it. There are already differences between the football played in some countries and its fine.

South Coast Royal Should we perhaps make the goal bigger so that we see more goals or widen pitches?

no

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 May 2024 11:55

South Coast Royal
Winston Biscuit

Should we perhaps make the goal bigger so that we see more goals or widen pitches or do any other changes?

Let's get it to work at the best level that we can just as with the review system in cricket.

It's all moot anyway, just look at the FA Cup as an example.

Use it at Prem grounds only, still think that's pretty unfair. So there already isn't even a level playing field in our own country, let alone the rest of the continent.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 May 2024 12:09

Winston Biscuit I don't want VAR as it changes the game too much. Even if used to make all the calls correct, it would need to change too much about how the game is to be able to do that, and that to me is not success.

get it in the bin

There isn't a situation in 2024 where a multi-billion pound global football industry doesn't use available technology (in an attempt) to strengthen the integrity of results.

1791 posts