New England manager

428 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: New England manager

by Hoop Blah » 10 Apr 2012 13:34

I think recent draws against Spurs and City would suggest the O'Neil effect hasn't quite disappeared already!

Back on topic though, it wasn't just the style of play that frustrated me with Pearce last summer, but the way he used his squad. The back four were fine, with Walker, Smalling and Jones looking as good as anyone at the tournament, but in front of them he just kept chopping and changing and playing odd combinations. Macienne was shoe-horned into central midfield and looked like a fish out of water and Danny Rose played most of the tournament as the most ineffectual left winger I've seen. At the same time players like Cleverly, Rodwell, Sinclair, Muamba and Lansbury were kicking their heels on the bench or playing out of position.

It's one thing not having the players, but another to see so many decent ones being hampered by poor selections and tactics. Things may be a bit different if he was with the senior squad and the team is a bit more established, but I really don't want to watch another tournament of him getting it so wrong.

I'd agree we're lacking a bit in terms of attacking quality. I still believe that we have a chance in any game or tournament though. Not favourites of course, but we have enough to be given a reasonable chance, even if it is the more subtle foreign players who get the best out of our better players in club sides.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 10 Apr 2012 14:03

The FA is a byword for all fecked up by an ancient committee of faceless numpties

'Arry is a popular cheeky chappy that has had some success with press, players and the occasional football team

The vacancy is a poisoned chalice, whereby the manager gets to work with his players rarely and with interference guaranteed

Perhaps 'Arry although flattered, has had second thoughts in any event?

Woy Hodgson would be an unpopular choice, but the only England manager to have ever won the world cup was probably the most unfashionable and unpopular manager of his day too!

or maybe the FA are just clueless...........

Bring Back The SB

by Bring Back The SB » 10 Apr 2012 14:28

The FA are not fit for purpose, we know that and even the government know that.

A major tournament comes around once every two years and they're are getting dangerously close to fu**ing it up for us.

Just appoint someone, not Pearce because he's clueless however will probably get the job because he's the cheap, easy option. If we want twitchy, we have to move in for him asap to give him time to pick a decent squad and manage a couple of friendlies. Spurs' season is going down the pan and he would jump at the chance now to move on I believe.

If it's not him that we want, then who is it? Do the FA even know who they want?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Apr 2012 17:50

Hoop Blah Pearce? Did you watch any of the U21s last summer?

No, but I gather it was shocking.

We'll be shit regardless. He might pick a few youngsters and give them experience. Then they can shine under someone good in qualifying for the WC and there. A WC semi would be nice.

Oh yeah, unless something inspires me about England, I'll probably be supporting Germany more anyway.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 10 Apr 2012 18:18

Stuka This tournment is a write-off anyway.

Good to see we're getting the excuses for another failed tournament in early.

Surely it's always been a write simply because England players are, er, a bit a shit?

jazz

by jazz » 10 Apr 2012 19:11

All it takes is a journeyman manager to look after the English football artisans. Redknapp will do.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Apr 2012 19:25

Ian Royal
Hoop Blah Pearce? Did you watch any of the U21s last summer?

No, but I gather it was shocking.

We'll be shit regardless. He might pick a few youngsters and give them experience. Then they can shine under someone good in qualifying for the WC and there. A WC semi would be nice.

Oh yeah, unless something inspires me about England, I'll probably be supporting Germany more anyway.

I doubt he'd pick too different a squad to be honest, and even if he did, a bad experience at a tournament, with the whole of Europe and England fans and media watching could easily ruin a promising internation career.

Good experience is one thing. Being thrown into a potential shambles of a squad isn't something that's going to enhance a career.

manny96

by manny96 » 10 Apr 2012 20:32

I officially reveal the official revival of Brian Little. You heard it here first.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 12 Apr 2012 03:11

I would love to see the Dream Team of Ron Atkinson and Barry Fry.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 15 Apr 2012 18:52

29 years. 1 FA Cup, 1 Division 3 title, 1 Division 2 title, 1 Associate Members Cup.

That aside I think the England job is a poisoned chalice and Redknapp would do well to stick with Spurs.

There's a bit of support gathering for Alan Pardew to take charge for the Euros only. Might be a good outside bet.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 15 Apr 2012 18:57

You couldn't call him a bad shout for the job full time.

Unphased Royal

by Unphased Royal » 29 Apr 2012 18:43

West Brom approached by FA to speak to Roy Hodgson about the being the next England Manager according to BBC

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Apr 2012 18:53

Unphased Royal West Brom approached by FA to speak to Roy Hodgson about the being the next England Manager according to BBC

The most interesting bit of their story so far is that he's the only manager they've asked for permission to speak to. That might be because they're still waiting for Spurs' season to be over.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Apr 2012 18:56

Would be a very good appointment in my opinion.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 29 Apr 2012 18:59

Hodgson over Redknapp. But at such short notice I think this has become a complete farce.

Unphased Royal

by Unphased Royal » 29 Apr 2012 19:00

Whislt i like Hodgson as a manager, and i believe he should have been given more of a chance at liverpool, i do think he is the budget option, especially as i think his contracts up at the end of the season. Getting Redknapp would cost them millions, especially if sprus dont bottle 4th place

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 29 Apr 2012 19:04

Hodgson is proven at every level (including international) as a safe pair of hands to steady the ship. Will we win Euro 2012 with him? No....but that isn't a bad thing. Give him time to build a younger team and we may have a decent shout in a few years time.....of a W/C Q/F!!

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 29 Apr 2012 19:06

FA still want to speak to Redknapp. Some are saying Hodgson is plan b. I would rather see Redknapp as plan b. One FA Cup does not mean he's the best man for the job, but the FA have left this so late it's a all a bit of a joke now.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 29 Apr 2012 19:07

Friday's Legacy Hodgson over Redknapp. But at such short notice I think this has become a complete farce.

Agreed.

If its down to having an English manager I'd rather have Hodgson than media darling Harry because of his international experience and not just relying on buying players BUT not the most inspiring person I guess for the fans and press.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 29 Apr 2012 19:39

If Roy gets it, the press will be waiting the first defeat - even in a friendly - to slaughter him; they have decided that their mate 'Arry (who is a "character" and gives good copy) should be the new England manager, and woe betide anyone else who gets the job...

....the kicking he got at Liverpool will be nothing to what he is about to experience. Poor bugger.

428 posts