New England manager

428 posts
Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

Re: New England manager

by Handsome Man » 29 Apr 2012 20:35

I was pleased.

We want somebody to move on from the superstar generation and build a team. One that can pass and control the ball will be good as well. I just couldn't imagine Redknapp doing either.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 29 Apr 2012 20:42

Ideal Roy Hodgson is a PERFECT choice for an international manager, just look at what he did with Finland, he had them WINNING games, ffs, it was FINLAND!

But he had sufficient time to coach his players.

Ideal I think England might win the competition now!!!

You are a model England fan. Brace yourself for disappointment, that side is not good enough to win the tournament.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 29 Apr 2012 20:51

My worry with Hodgson is that he has proved himself as an excellent manager at smaller clubs/nations where there is less expectation and the dressing room egos are smaller.

This is completely the opposite with England, and his time with Liverpool has to raise some doubts.

Despite this, I still think he is a good choice at this moment in time, as there aren't that many other options.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 29 Apr 2012 20:51

Roy Hodgson >>>>>>> Harry '1 FA Cup' Redknapp

If the FA are dead set on an Englishman, then we have nobody else better qualified or experienced than our Woy. Liverpool fans don't rate him, but they are just mongs. I am sure if Woy had the rescources King Kenny had, Liverpool would be doing a lot better. I would be very pleased with this appointment personally. He did well with the Finnish and Swiss national teams, won league titles in Sweden and Denmark and got Fulham to the final of the Uefa Cup. So far West Brom are 10th, which is a mjor achievement in itself.

Good call by the FA if they are going to do the right thing instead of bowing to the tabloid pressure. I also think there could be something lurking in Arry's shady past that the FA are worried about.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 29 Apr 2012 20:54

winchester_royal , and his time with Liverpool has to raise some doubts.

The way Liverpool treated Woy was pretty bad to be honest. He came into a club with fueding owners, a squad to overhall and NO money to do it with. Also, the Liverpool fans never took to him and made his life difficult. If he had had the same resources as King Kenny, it would have been a different story.

Besides that, England may be a big job, there may be lots of egos, but it is about getting the best of what you have and England are not blessed with the best players in the world at the moment, so could be the best thing at the moment.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 29 Apr 2012 20:55

Great news.

'onest 'arry's only credential is that loads of people who believe what they read in the papers believe he's the people's choice.

Roy is the much better man for this job - better qualified and more 'upright' if you get my drift.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 29 Apr 2012 20:57

If it means months of papers making shite puns using 'Woy' then I'm well and truly out.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 29 Apr 2012 20:57

Fox Talbot and more 'upright' if you get my drift.

Roy is sound as a pound, Arry croked as a 11 bob note.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Apr 2012 20:59

Big Ern

The way Liverpool treated Woy was pretty bad to be honest. He came into a club with fueding owners, a squad to overhall and NO money to do it with. Also, the Liverpool fans never took to him and made his life difficult. If he had had the same resources as King Kenny, it would have been a different story.

Besides that, England may be a big job, there may be lots of egos, but it is about getting the best of what you have and England are not blessed with the best players in the world at the moment, so could be the best thing at the moment.

Don't disagree with you, the treatment he got from the Liverpool fans was disgraceful and the media was on his back from the start which surely won't have helped.....

BUT, would that be any different from what will happen if he gets the job? Will the common fan take to him? Will the media support him through the rough patches?

I has me doubts.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 29 Apr 2012 21:04

winchester_royal
Big Ern

Don't disagree with you, the treatment he got from the Liverpool fans was disgraceful and the media was on his back from the start which surely won't have helped.....

BUT, would that be any different from what will happen if he gets the job? Will the common fan take to him? Will the media support him through the rough patches?

I has me doubts.

Would the media support any Manager if results didn't go their way. Going back to Bobby Robson's time, who IMO was the second greatest England Mnager of all time after Sir Alf, they crucified him after Euro 88.

Who knows what the fans would think, all depends on results I suppose, but looking through this thread, most people will be positive. That would probably be the same on many other forums.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Apr 2012 21:07

I hope you're right.

He'd be my choice, we just have to give him time to build a team with some of the youngsters we've got coming through.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 29 Apr 2012 21:20

Happy with Hodgson myself. He's managed national sides before, and 'Arry's successes have mostly cost a packet.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 29 Apr 2012 21:21

And because he's out of contract at the end of June he'll be dirt cheap.

I'd have preferred Harry, given the short space of time left.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Apr 2012 21:39

Fwance and Ukwaine are qwuaking in theiw boots.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 29 Apr 2012 21:56

TBH I've long lost any real interest in the modern-day Eng-er-land, but with Reading's immediate future nicely sorted, was quite looking forward to the Euros with 'arry in charge. I'm sure Roy's a decent chap, but always found his demeanour and teams really rather dull. Shame.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 29 Apr 2012 21:59

Mr Angry If Roy gets it, the press will be waiting the first defeat - even in a friendly - to slaughter him; they have decided that their mate 'Arry (who is a "character" and gives good copy) should be the new England manager, and woe betide anyone else who gets the job...

....the kicking he got at Liverpool will be nothing to what he is about to experience. Poor bugger.

^^^^^ This. Media are the England team's worst enemy, and whilst Hodgson has achieved more in his career than 'Arry, he could really struggle from day 1 as the tabloids didn't get their darling choice.

I can see Hodgson being the right man to build a new team and end an extremely disappointing superstar generation; the issue is he will have to win every match in highly convincing fashion to be given a chance. A heroic semi-final loss at the Euros would be necessary at least; I don't think we have the squad for that right now.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 29 Apr 2012 22:03

I think it's a good appointment personally. Don't think he'll take to big egos & that will be quickly sorted out.

The FA clearly have dirt on Harry. If he doesn't get it now, he never will...

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 30 Apr 2012 01:51

winchester_royal I hope you're right.

He'd be my choice, we just have to give him time to build a team with some of the youngsters we've got coming through.

Unfortunately, 'we' will never include the meeja, who will crucify the England manager - as usual - if results do not meet their expectations, i.e. win every game because we are England innit.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 30 Apr 2012 07:11

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, Harry

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 30 Apr 2012 08:00

428 posts