England Football. Yes or No

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: England Football. Yes or No

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Sep 2014 13:39

Ian Royal Don't really understand why anyone would dislike Hodgson.

I don't get it either. He was was always the best man for the job, and I'm not saying that as a welsher.
It seems to me the there are 3 sources to the hatred.

1. The press who love Redknapp cos he's their chum.
2. Liverpool fans, who blame him for god knows what because he was given no money. Probably because he wasn't Irish, Scottish or French but English.
3. Redknapp supporters who thought Arry could win the world cup "wiv passion".

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 14 Sep 2014 14:03

Same tbf

There was no-one else preferable for job and he's a decent enough bloke & coach

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 14 Sep 2014 14:10

He's an old stinky fanny woman.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 Sep 2014 12:31

Hodgson is a typically conservative choice by our useless FA who never thought that Clough was worth giving the big job to. He has the job by default because Redknapp is so corrupt. The games under Hodgson have been turgid, we stank the place out at Euro 2012 and we managed one measly point in the World Cup a matter of weeks ago, in case any of you have forgotten :?: England have not improved one iota under Hodgson.

I am not even necessarily convinced how nice a bloke he is given his expletive-ridden rant at having two shots on target in the Norway friendly. Not so much the swearing, more the sheer curmudgeonly arrogance that it was a good performance against (in his words) "a good side". Hodsgon is an establishment 'Yes man' from the footballing dark ages.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 15 Sep 2014 13:03

brighton_royal He's an old stinky fanny woman.

+1

With the least convincing cockney accent since Dick van Dyke.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 15 Sep 2014 13:06

floyd__streete Hodgson is a typically conservative choice by our useless FA who never thought that Clough was worth giving the big job to. He has the job by default because Redknapp is so corrupt. The games under Hodgson have been turgid, we stank the place out at Euro 2012 and we managed one measly point in the World Cup a matter of weeks ago, in case any of you have forgotten :?: England have not improved one iota under Hodgson.

I am not even necessarily convinced how nice a bloke he is given his expletive-ridden rant at having two shots on target in the Norway friendly. Not so much the swearing, more the sheer curmudgeonly arrogance that it was a good performance against (in his words) "a good side". Hodsgon is an establishment 'Yes man' from the footballing dark ages.

Irony meters all over the world have just gone pop.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 15 Sep 2014 16:51

I think I would rather watch paint dry than watching an England game, especially with the 'No Surrender' crew.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 16 Sep 2014 22:34

SPARTA Watching England meant everything to me back in the late 90's. I took the games far too seriously though. I cannot tell you now when I last watched England. I didn't bother at all with the World Cup, and don't remember taking an interest in the Euro's before that either, nor did I take much interest in the previous World Cup. It has nothing to do with the always letting us down aspect, I just don't like international football, and more to the point I just don't like the billy big bollocks, all light and glamour England players. In recent years my love for the game has taken a severe kicking. I haven't taken any notice of the Premier League (apart from when we're in it) for a few years now. I would never miss MOTD, I'd always have SSN on when I got in from work... now, neither, ever! I can't even tell you who is in the top six of the Championship. I look at Reading, attend the odd game (having recently given up our season tickets), and that's as far as my interest now goes. I just don't enjoy the modern game or the idiots and all their money playing it any more.

Couldn't really have put it any better myself.

I spent 7 years watching England home & away & loved it. The end for me came when they disbanded the England Members Club in 2004.

Beating Germany 5-1 in Munich, a surreal day trip to Albania (no toilets, no segregation and a family living on the stadium) and the brick that miraculously bounced of our coach window exiting Hampden Park.

The high point was surely Euro 96. "Football's coming home", the whole country seemed to be as one during that tournament, the Germany Semi defeat was absolutely crushing.

Now? I can barely be bothered to watch in tv. Not even for the world cup. Sad really, because in the event we do manage to win anything its really not going to mean anything like what it would have done 10-20 years ago.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 17 Sep 2014 12:48

jd82
floyd__streete Hodgson is a typically conservative choice by our useless FA who never thought that Clough was worth giving the big job to. He has the job by default because Redknapp is so corrupt. The games under Hodgson have been turgid, we stank the place out at Euro 2012 and we managed one measly point in the World Cup a matter of weeks ago, in case any of you have forgotten :?: England have not improved one iota under Hodgson.

Irony meters all over the world have just gone pop.

:|

Do you need a dictionary to look up the definition of 'irony' you utter loon :?:

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 17 Sep 2014 13:28

No thanks. Good use of "loon" though.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 28 Sep 2014 23:55

Just started going England, Switzerland being my first away trip, and I loved it, one hell of an experience to have had.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 29 Sep 2014 08:21

I hate Hodgson and just cannot believe he got away with the world cup failure so lightly. He has all these great players at his disposal, yet we do very badly. He let Lampard and Gerrard decide their own international futures and now he has made Rooney captain. He just seems years out of date and hasn't realised that it is the likes of Sturridge, Wellbeck and Hart who are now our best players.

Having said that, England are great and I will always support them, looking forward to the games when they come around. A younger more Adkins/Rodgers England would do so much for the game in general, but there is still lots to support in this Mike Bassett version.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 29 Sep 2014 08:40

Will95 Just started going England, Switzerland being my first away trip, and I loved it, one hell of an experience to have had.

:)

Hopefully your England supporting future will follow an increasingly enjoyable arc.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Oct 2014 18:25

Handsome Man

I hate Hodgson and just cannot believe he got away with the world cup failure so lightly. He has all these great players at his disposal, yet we do very badly. He let Lampard and Gerrard decide their own international futures and now he has made Rooney captain. He just seems years out of date and hasn't realised that it is the likes of Sturridge, Wellbeck and Hart who are now our best players.

Having said that, England are great and I will always support them, looking forward to the games when they come around. A younger more Adkins/Rodgers England would do so much for the game in general, but there is still lots to support in this Mike Bassett version.

What great players?

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 02 Oct 2014 08:14

Uninspiring manager with an uninspiring squad.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Oct 2014 09:24

Tails Uninspiring manager with an uninspiring squad.

I know we're English and utterly grumpy gits, but if you can't be even a little excited about the likes of Sterling, Ox and Barkley, then maybe footy isn't for you.....?

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 02 Oct 2014 11:34

I still quite like watching England games on tv, I've only ever been to one England match (a home friendly with Germany in the second or so game at Wembley, Shorey played). I don't bother with all the hype before or fallout after tournaments. Hodgson might not be to everyone's taste, but I think he's a fairly safe pair of hands, a considerably better choice than f**king 'Arry, and does a pretty decent job with what he's got to work with. He also seems to be trying to change the mentality of the players when it comes to possession, with some success too.

Thinking back over some of the England teams and managers over my footy watching years, England have never really been that exciting to watch. Euro 96 was great, Hoddle's teams were quite good entertainment, Eriksson and Capello's teams were pragmatic and got the results (certainly in qualifying).