Algeria v England [OFFICIAL THREAD]

319 posts
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Algeria v England [OFFICIAL THREAD]

by Dirk Gently » 20 Jun 2010 14:57

The England team visited an orphanage in Jo'burg today. "It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope" said Jamal aged 6

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Jun 2010 15:01

some time ago, Norfolk Royal The England team visited an orphanage in Cape Town today. 'It's heartbreaking to see their sad litle faces with no hope,' said Jamal, aged six.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 20 Jun 2010 15:10

I'll admit that every time I see John Terry I can't help but think 'twat', but this was an impressive interview, very honest, and much better than captain Gerrard's monosyllabic, cliched efforts so far.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 750168.stm

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 20 Jun 2010 15:35

cmonurz I'll admit that every time I see John Terry I can't help but think 'twat', but this was an impressive interview, very honest, and much better than captain Gerrard's monosyllabic, cliched efforts so far.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 750168.stm

Why did he lose the captaincy? Just because he had an affair with an ex-teammate's ex-girlfriend? FFS, who gives a sh1t? (Eriksson was still left manager when he had his affairs.) We were at our best when Terry was captain. Look at Gerard's captaincy this year (9th in PL) compared to Terry's (the Double).

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jun 2010 15:39

That's right, Terry having the captaincy taken away from him is the reason the entire team are playing like paraplegics. :roll:

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 20 Jun 2010 15:41

Ian Royal That's right, Terry having the captaincy taken away from him is the reason the entire team are playing like paraplegics. :roll:

I doubt it but it certainly doesn't appear to be helping. We qualified under Terry. We're beyond crap under Gerrard. Leadership is important (as we found out earlier this season).

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jun 2010 15:51

Man Friday
Ian Royal That's right, Terry having the captaincy taken away from him is the reason the entire team are playing like paraplegics. :roll:

I doubt it but it certainly doesn't appear to be helping. We qualified under Terry. We're beyond crap under Gerrard. Leadership is important (as we found out earlier this season).

Gerrard's proved himself to be an able captain at Liverpool. He's actually been one of our better players so far and has more ability to change a game than Terry, who's been distinctly average compared to Gerrard.

So I'd say it's pretty irrelevant.

The bigger issues for me, are the indecision about the team selection. The failure to have a plan B, the total reliance on Rooney and to a lesser extent Gerrard to carry a fairly average squad and the complete lack of balance and teamwork in the side that gets fielded.

It's a side of individuals, not a team.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 20 Jun 2010 15:58

Ian Royal
Man Friday

Gerrard's proved himself to be an able captain at Liverpool. He's actually been one of our better players so far and has more ability to change a game than Terry, who's been distinctly average compared to Gerrard.

So I'd say it's pretty irrelevant.

The bigger issues for me, are the indecision about the team selection. The failure to have a plan B, the total reliance on Rooney and to a lesser extent Gerrard to carry a fairly average squad and the complete lack of balance and teamwork in the side that gets fielded.

It's a side of individuals, not a team.

It certainly is. Like at Liverpool. Wonder if it would be different under Terry (like it was when he was captain)?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jun 2010 16:00

Yeah, changing the captain will change the failings of selection, personel and tactics. :roll:

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 20 Jun 2010 16:16

Ian Royal Yeah, changing the captain will change the failings of selection, personel and tactics. :roll:

Nope. But it might help issues on the pich where the football is played such as organisation and motivation of players. Queue rolling of eyeballs smiley again. Your go...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jun 2010 16:58

I'm sure an armband makes a huge difference to the contribution of John Terry.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 20 Jun 2010 17:41

Ian Royal I'm sure an armband makes a huge difference to the contribution of John Terry.

He stood up like a captain in the interview I saw regarding wayne rooney talking about the camera incident, played it down and offered support to our best player, completely what any captain should be doing to protect their own players. Didn't see gerrard saying a whole lot other than being derogatory against algeria and their "cup final".

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jun 2010 18:27

Really? I saw Gerrard being refreshingly honest and saying the players had no excuse and had been poor.

The first step to resolving a problem is acknowledging there is one.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 20 Jun 2010 18:35

Does anyone really believe that we will see an improved performance on Wednesday? I don't. I did not think we would be as bad as we were against the USA but look what happened.

We will be eliminated on goals scored.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 20 Jun 2010 18:46

Ian Royal I'm sure an armband makes a huge difference to the contribution of John Terry.

I'm not. But I do wonder whether it makes a huge difference to the contribution of the rest of the team if Terry is captain as opposed to Gerrard. It does seem mighty spooky that under Terry we wuz like world beaters for a coupl of years but under Gerrard we aren't even Algeria-beaters or USA-beaters (although we did beat that Allstars Team 2-0 a couple of weeks ago, but then again that was under Ferdinand).

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jun 2010 19:22

grasping at straws.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 20 Jun 2010 19:36

Norfolk Royal
Maguire
Norfolk Royal I can't believe we drew against such a shit team. I'm ashamed to call myself an Algerian.

100,000 Facebook statuses this morning ^^

Don't go on FB, heard it in real life, on a text.

Whilst in your MASSIVE house on your MASSIVE phone!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Jun 2010 20:31

How can you "hear it" on a text in real life??

Not surprised that there are rumours that Capello will quit if England don't go through to the next stage - it's either that or be pushed.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 20 Jun 2010 20:46

Royal Lady How can you "hear it" on a text in real life??

Not surprised that there are rumours that Capello will quit if England don't go through to the next stage - it's either that or be pushed.

Just after his contract got extended? I don't think so!

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 20 Jun 2010 21:00

World-beaters under Terry. Egg-beaters under Gerrard. Conclusion: We are better under Terry. Hardly straw-grasping!

319 posts