The 23/24 season build up thread

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The 23/24 season build up thread

by NathStPaul » 24 Jul 2023 09:12

Sanguine
Pepe the Horseman Fulham about to lose Mitrovic and Silva to the Saudis. Could be a good bet to go down.

Looks like Marco Silva will stay for one more season, has said that he will honour his contract.

Mitrovic set to leave, albeit Fulham have moved quickly and will sign Raul Jimenez. He's no Mitrovic, but a solid Premier League striker.

I think this was certainly true before his head injury. Understandably hasn't been the same since imo and has looked really ineffective.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 24 Jul 2023 11:25

NathStPaul
Sanguine
Pepe the Horseman Fulham about to lose Mitrovic and Silva to the Saudis. Could be a good bet to go down.

Looks like Marco Silva will stay for one more season, has said that he will honour his contract.

Mitrovic set to leave, albeit Fulham have moved quickly and will sign Raul Jimenez. He's no Mitrovic, but a solid Premier League striker.

I think this was certainly true before his head injury. Understandably hasn't been the same since imo and has looked really ineffective.

If Silva can get him back to anything like he was before the injury then a £5million fee could turn out to be great value.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Jul 2023 13:29

Sanguine

Yeh, they're also looking likely to get Hudson-Odoi, so should be ok after all. Sorry Leon, false alarm.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Jul 2023 11:51

Pepe the Horseman
Sanguine

Yeh, they're also looking likely to get Hudson-Odoi, so should be ok after all. Sorry Leon, false alarm.

Oh FFS Pepe, it's the hope that kills you.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 28 Jul 2023 10:25

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... his-season

We're going to see more added time this coming season - referees will as much as possible add on exact time for stoppages such as goal celebrations, penalties and red cards.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Jul 2023 11:55

Sanguine https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jul/28/premier-league-referees-to-add-on-time-lost-for-goal-celebrations-this-season

We're going to see more added time this coming season - referees will as much as possible add on exact time for stoppages such as goal celebrations, penalties and red cards.

I’m not complaining because I like the controversy but if they really wanted to stop time wasting just do what they do in rugby and stop the clock when the ball is out of play, pens, free kicks etc, then as soon as it hits 90, next time there’s a stoppage in play the game is over.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 28 Jul 2023 14:37

Sanguine https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jul/28/premier-league-referees-to-add-on-time-lost-for-goal-celebrations-this-season

I am happy with this

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Jul 2023 15:59

Winston Biscuit

I am happy with this

That'll change of course should Reading ever manage to get to the 90th minute of a game with a 1 goal lead.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Jul 2023 13:56

5 days the Champ starts with Wednesday Vs Southampton and then the following day the whole football league gets going.

Very little football happening outside of Britain next weekend but the following weekend most of it gets back to normal

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Aug 2023 09:19

So, this is an actual thing. *checks it isn't 1st April.

Tom Brady is now a co-owner of Birmingham City FC.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Aug 2023 09:21

Also, Inter Miami recorded the fastest jersey sales in sporting history with fans buying shirts with Messi's name at a rate not seen before. Faster than LeBron jerseys when he signed for the Lakers, Brady for the Buccs, Ronaldo at United or Real.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Aug 2023 10:33

Sanguine So, this is an actual thing. *checks it isn't 1st April.

I wonder if Birmingham fans realise what a big name he is in American sport, and outside of sport too I guess

TB is one of the few people who I love to listen to talk and I hear things about him yet I have seen almost nothing he has actually done in his career. I just find the story around him in NFL along with his and the way he speaks really compelling.

If Birmingham managed to get to the PL, then having TB linked with them and doing a bit of promo could be a huge thing for the club with regards to a US audience

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Aug 2023 11:33

Winston Biscuit

I wonder if Birmingham fans realise what a big name he is in American sport, and outside of sport too I guess

TB is one of the few people who I love to listen to talk and I hear things about him yet I have seen almost nothing he has actually done in his career. I just find the story around him in NFL along with his and the way he speaks really compelling.

If Birmingham managed to get to the PL, then having TB linked with them and doing a bit of promo could be a huge thing for the club with regards to a US audience

Personally I've never heard of him but sounds like he's just the sort Reading could have done with - seems that maybe the Wrexham vibe (particularly with that TV thing they do) is catching on with a few in the US!

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Aug 2023 11:53

Sutekh
Winston Biscuit

Personally I've never heard of him but sounds like he's just the sort Reading could have done with - seems that maybe the Wrexham vibe (particularly with that TV thing they do) is catching on with a few in the US!

I would say Tom Brady & LeBron James are probably the 2 biggest current American sports stars (I say current as I am setting aside the likes of Jordan, Tyson etc who retired many years ago)

he retired a few months ago at 46 years old, having won 2 of his 7 superbowls in his 40's, when the average quarterback doesn't even make it to 30 years old. He was an absolute machine that dragged people along with him and made teams great. In the last 3 years of his career he surprised everyone by leaving the big team he has helped become dominant and moved to a smaller team, mainly as he just wanted a change of scenery, wanted his kids to experience living somewhere different etc. In his first season there he got them to win the superbowl.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Aug 2023 14:37

CountryRoyal

I’m not complaining because I like the controversy but if they really wanted to stop time wasting just do what they do in rugby and stop the clock when the ball is out of play, pens, free kicks etc, then as soon as it hits 90, next time there’s a stoppage in play the game is over.

It really is that simple!

I can only conclude they're happy with the controversy and the frustration caused when the boards come up with not enough/too much time added.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Aug 2023 14:41

Sutekh
Winston Biscuit

How great would it have been if he'd been linked with Reading instead?! I'd settle for much less famous Americans though. Someone with an interest in football and of course deep pockets.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Aug 2023 09:27

CountryRoyal

Just no.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Aug 2023 12:29

Excited for the start of the new season tonight. As every year I've gone back into my Ladbrokes account to see if I can't actually win a few football bets. I've gone for a Southampton win tonight in Russell Martin's first game in charge, with both teams to score, at 10/3.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Aug 2023 15:55

https://twitter.com/EFL_Comms/status/1687476333494816769?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Stadium clocks, scoreboards or giant screen timers in the EFL will now be left running until the completion of each half, which includes any additional time at the end of either the first or second half.

Previously, these would stop at 45 or 90 minutes, however in line with the most recent IFAB guidance, including Match Officials’ new approach to time keeping, this will now change for the upcoming season (where technology allows).

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Aug 2023 12:10

Is there a more 'normal' and grounded manager in the PL than Ange Postecoglou? I've got a bit of soft spot for Spurs anyway, but it's really hard not to root for this guy. He seems totally authentic, just does Postecoglou things, has confidence in himself, backs his players. Could be an inspired appointment by Levy.