The "i'm not interested" international friendlies thread

471 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The "i'm not interested" international friendlies thread

by Ian Royal » 09 Jun 2014 18:55

Interesting that you attribute to Lampard something that started almost 40 minutes before he came on the pitch.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 09 Jun 2014 21:06

It's not that interesting.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jun 2014 12:05

Ian Royal Interesting* that you attribute to Lampard something that started almost 40 minutes before he came on the pitch.
Sorry.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 10 Jun 2014 16:41

I'd agree that the earlier substitutions had a positive effect(as did Honduras going down to 10 men for the last 30 minutes) I just don't see how you can say that Lampard's inclusion for the last 7 minutes of the game, as fatigue, time wasting and a general air of "let's pack up and get off to Brazil" contributed to that improvement in anything other than a marginal way - if at all.

I disagree when someone posted that he shouldn't be in the squad - his experience in the changing room and off the field regardless of any contributions he does make on the pitch will be a major help to the squad for the time we are out there, and let's face it, if needed, he can (usually!) take a pretty good penalty!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jun 2014 17:52

Mr Angry I'd agree that the earlier substitutions had a positive effect(as did Honduras going down to 10 men for the last 30 minutes) I just don't see how you can say that Lampard's inclusion for the last 7 minutes of the game, as fatigue, time wasting and a general air of "let's pack up and get off to Brazil" contributed to that improvement in anything other than a marginal way - if at all.

I disagree when someone posted that he shouldn't be in the squad - his experience in the changing room and off the field regardless of any contributions he does make on the pitch will be a major help to the squad for the time we are out there, and let's face it, if needed, he can (usually!) take a pretty good penalty!

Yeah, he and Gerrard are worth taking because you know what you'll reliably get. Gerrard might work anchoring the team, better than Lampard for sure and we've got far better and younger options for the more busy and advanced roles.

If the likes of Lallana, Barkley, Wilshire, Stirling & Henderson don't all get at least one meaty appearance each it'll be an absolute travesty.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 10 Jun 2014 19:26

:roll:
Mr Angry I disagree when someone posted that he shouldn't be in the squad - his experience in the changing room and off the field regardless of any contributions he does make on the pitch will be a major help to the squad for the time we are out there

You don't have to take up a place in the squad to have someone contributing in that way though

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 10 Jun 2014 20:06

Like Beckham a few years back

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 10 Jun 2014 20:57

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 11 Jun 2014 10:52

Ian Royal
Mr Angry I'd agree that the earlier substitutions had a positive effect(as did Honduras going down to 10 men for the last 30 minutes) I just don't see how you can say that Lampard's inclusion for the last 7 minutes of the game, as fatigue, time wasting and a general air of "let's pack up and get off to Brazil" contributed to that improvement in anything other than a marginal way - if at all.

Yeah, he and Gerrard are worth taking because you know what you'll reliably get. Gerrard might work anchoring the team, better than Lampard for sure and we've got far better and younger options for the more busy and advanced roles.

If the likes of Lallana, Barkley, Wilshire, Stirling & Henderson don't all get at least one meaty appearance each it'll be an absolute travesty.

Lampard is still the most acomplished finisher in the squad and with his experience and temperament is still worth his place within it.

Gerrard is still our best bet in midfield for changing the point of an attack and to pick out a telling pass. People focus too much on the odd occasion he gives it away as if all other players don't do it. His pass completion is better than most despite being more adventureous than most. I'm not sure how capable he is for playing 3 full 90 minutes back to back mind and I'm not sure he actually will.

As maligned as they are both Lampard and Gerrard are worth their places in the squad and team respectively.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Jun 2014 11:16

Anybody else not really give a shit that Welbeck has got injured? Surely it's only Roy who rates him?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Jun 2014 11:31

Maguire Anybody else not really give a shit that Welbeck has got injured? Surely it's only Roy who rates him?

This.

His presence irritates me. The Hal Robson-Kanu of the England squad.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 11 Jun 2014 11:34

He played well the other night though tbf and he will chase and hassle opponents

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Jun 2014 11:35

TBM He played well the other night though tbf and he will chase and hassle opponents

Fine if he's not part of an attacking four that you are basically expecting to create all your chances and score all your goals.

Nice dummy for Sturridge, tbf.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 11 Jun 2014 11:37

TBM He played well the other night though tbf and he will chase and hassle opponents

So could Lassie.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Jun 2014 11:38

So can a dog

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Jun 2014 11:39

oh!

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 11 Jun 2014 11:40

Do you want me to delete mine?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 11 Jun 2014 11:47

Maguire

So can a dog

Yeah but the other option is Sterling which, as we know, you don't rate

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 11 Jun 2014 12:09

Welbeck isn't a bad player at all. His finishing is not especially good, certainly for this level, but given that a big part of doing well in tournaments is about wisely utilising your squad he's a very worthy player.

He also knows how to look after himself particularly when the oppo gets heavy handed and starts dishing it out, Italy or Uruguay are no shrinking violets and Welbeck is more streetwise than say Sterling or Ox when the challenges increase in intensity. I fear Italy might do a job on Sterling if he starts instead, a couple of sturdy one's from Chiellini and someone else robust in their team and he'll be a bit cautious of taking any more.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Jun 2014 12:23

TBM
Maguire

So can a dog

Yeah but the other option is Sterling which, as we know, you don't rate

I don't r8 him as highly as Oxlade-Chamberlain. I'd say he probably deserves a crack in the England team ahead of Danny Welbeck though, even if he is a bit predictable.

471 posts