Portsmouth fc

1559 posts
Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Portsmouth fc

by Wax Jacket » 20 Feb 2012 14:11

Barry the bird boggler What gets me is PFC fans saying that it's all the fault of the PL and FL for landing Portsmouth with these problem owners.

tbf they've something of a point, absolutely bugger all has been done to vet these properly

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 20 Feb 2012 14:47

Wax Jacket
Barry the bird boggler What gets me is PFC fans saying that it's all the fault of the PL and FL for landing Portsmouth with these problem owners.

tbf they've something of a point, absolutely bugger all has been done to vet these properly

So if the Football League had decided that Mandaric (the root of PFC's problem IMO) was not a fit person etc.. at the time of him taking them out of their first administration, would they have thought "fair enough" let's form AFC Portsmouth or whatever, and in 2012 we could have worked our way back to the third tier?

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 20 Feb 2012 15:07

I'm not sure I follow, anyway all I was saying was that I agree with them on the point that the fit and proper persons test has been negligently applied.

that's all, no mention of an phoenix club whatsoever

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 20 Feb 2012 15:12

I think the point being made is that it is hardly the football leagues fault if a guy passes the fit & proper test (or whatever its called now) who then proves to be a chancer, when, at the time, it was a choice between that fella, or extinction for Pompey.

Presumably, had the FL failed the guy, Pompey fans would have been protesting in the streets about how they are victimised, how this bloke would have led them to yet more Premier League glory and how the FL wanted them to go out of business.

The Barnsley manager had it 100% spot on with his post match comments.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 20 Feb 2012 15:17

I think Portsmouth will do an Aldershot......but quicker.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 20 Feb 2012 15:21

Gordons Cumming I think Portsmouth will do an Aldershot......but quicker.

:mrgreen:

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

Reading to benefit from Pompey demise?

by Z175 » 23 Feb 2012 12:26

The BBC is reporting that Pompey are touch and go to make it to the end of the season. Given our defeat at Fratton Park, we would benefit the most out of this. We would be right in the automatic chase and much more comfortable in the playoffs. West Ham would have a game in hand on us, but we'd be level not 6 points behind. After their defeat at home to Fulham that sent us down, it would be poetic justice if their liquidation sent us up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17137954

The current league table in such a 44 game season would be as follows -

Pld Pts GD
1 Southamtn 31 58 26
2 West Ham 29 54 19
3 Reading 30 54 12
4 Middlesbro 30 52 6
5 Birminghm 30 51 22
6 Blackpool 30 51 11
7 Cardiff C 30 49 11
8 Hull City 30 48 6
9 Burnley 31 47 7
10 Brighton 31 47 3
11 Leeds U 31 45 4
12 Crystal P 30 42 3
13 Leicester 29 40 5
14 Barnsley 30 39 -6
15 Derby C 30 39 -8
16 Watford 30 37 -11
17 Peterbor 29 34 -1
18 Ipswich 29 34 -7
19 Bristol C 31 30 -22
20 Millwall 31 28 -13
21 Nottm F 30 28 -23
22 Coventry 31 25 -18
23 Doncaster 29 24 -25

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Reading to benefit from Pompey demise?

by Gordons Cumming » 23 Feb 2012 12:37

Better lose to them next week then? :roll:

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 23 Feb 2012 12:44

Forest and Millwall must be bricking it now.
It is interesting that Birmingham and West Ham are the big losers

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 Feb 2012 12:45

JC Forest and Millwall must be bricking it now.

If Pompey don't make it surely only 2 go down?

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 23 Feb 2012 12:53

Gordons Cumming
JC Forest and Millwall must be bricking it now.

If Pompey don't make it surely only 2 go down?

Yep.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 23 Feb 2012 13:14

We've heard this before. Have a read of the article. On one hand there are redundancies today, but on the other, the administrator 'hopes they will be the last.'

That Pompey, (and ArgyLOLe for that matter), are still in existence shows just how irresolute the powers that be are, in dealing with insolvency. Sadly, I don't expect Pompey to go anywhere, other than League 1, but I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 23 Feb 2012 14:54

bobby m's syrup We've heard this before. Have a read of the article. On one hand there are redundancies today, but on the other, the administrator 'hopes they will be the last.'

That Pompey, (and ArgyLOLe for that matter), are still in existence shows just how irresolute the powers that be are, in dealing with insolvency. Sadly, I don't expect Pompey to go anywhere, other than League 1, but I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

Your point is a very valid reason for cynicism. But this time round its much more difficult for them. Many businesses go through a restructuring, but many that face a second administration disappear.

The problem this time is that they have the additional debt from the CVA, which has already been trimmed by 75%, whos holders are unlikely to accept much of a restructuring. There are a lot of opaque issues around debt, with Gaydamak and Chainrai both still claiming millions from the club. They do have parachute payments but have already had an advance on these. Reading had wagebill issues when the parachutes stopped, but Pompey can't even fund theirs with them. No investor would take on a company who already can't pay their wagebill each month when the incomes going to fall of a cliff when they stop - promotions hardly likely!

All the proven debt is money they deliberately haven't paid across to HMRC to keep the club aflaot. HMRC were desperate to attack the CVA last time and this will be the final straw.

It took a year to find a buyer last time when they started off in the Premier League and all they found was a suspected fraudster. As an investment you have a massive issue with stadium and the legacy debt. A bit like Wimbledon, whos Scandanavian owners realised they'd paid a fortune for a name and a place in the premier league which was lost.

Finally the clubs too big to die, and an AFC Pompey would be very likely to leap back into League 1 fairly quickly, so why would you decide to pay millions to the likes of Gaydamak, Tal Ben Haim, Kanu and HMRC when for a fraction of that price you could rebuild form scratch?

Back to the Reading side of things - I imagine the FA would do everything to keep them hanging on until the summer. But you can't fight the legal system, and I'd expect a bit of brinkmanship from HMRC. 3 bonus points at the end of April could see us over the line!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 23 Feb 2012 15:15

The last thing that the Football Authorities want is for a club to become extinct during a season. Bad form and all that. Whereas I would love to see them slip into the abyss now, my feeling is that the life support mechanism will be kept switched on until around 3pm on Sunday 29th April (assuming that the final day's fixtures are moved to that day with a 1pm kick off).

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Feb 2012 18:31

Looking forward to bidding them a fond farewell on March 6th and giving them some abuse from the terraces :lol: . Childish? Absolutely, but I haven't forgiven their reserves limping to a 0-1 loss vs Fulham in '08 and the very many painful defeats at their hands, particularly at their heap of a ground. I also have limited tolerance of sub-standard bugle playing.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Feb 2012 18:35

floyd__streete Looking forward to bidding them a fond farewell on March 6th and giving them some abuse from the terraces :lol: . Childish? Absolutely, but I haven't forgiven their reserves limping to a 0-1 loss vs Fulham in '08 and the very many painful defeats at their hands, particularly at their heap of a ground. I also have limited tolerance of sub-standard bugle playing.

Of course the bonus is we hopefully have something to look forward to even if they beat us (as usual). :)

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 23 Feb 2012 18:40

Already being discussed in GF.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Feb 2012 21:00

floyd__streete Looking forward to bidding them a fond farewell on March 6th and giving them some abuse from the terraces :lol: . Childish? Absolutely, but I haven't forgiven their reserves limping to a 0-1 loss vs Fulham in '08 and the very many painful defeats at their hands, particularly at their heap of a ground. I also have limited tolerance of sub-standard bugle playing.

Agreed, pompey fans have always been obnoxious and arrogant while playing us. Might turn up to this just for the lols.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 23 Feb 2012 21:05

FiNeRaIn

Agreed, pompey fans have always been obnoxious and arrogant while playing us. Might turn up to this just for the lols.

one night it's 'us', then the next you mock reading fans for having an opinion against your first or second love, rangers. how many clubs do you support exactly? how about you turn up for this just to support your local team, and the "lols" can be the bonus?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Feb 2012 21:11

Friday's Legacy
FiNeRaIn

one night you're 'us', then the next you mock reading fans for having an opinion against your first or second love, rangers. how many clubs do you support exactly? how about you turn up for this just to support your local team, and the "lols" can be the bonus?

Mocking you for having an opinion against Rangers is absolutely nothing to do with the club you support, what retarded logic. Are you really that stupid or scraping the bottom of the barrell to start an argument? I would say the same if it was a leeds or bolton fan making silly points. I'm not sure how long you've been supporting Reading but i've had a season ticket since going in 97, whilst the older generation on here will beat that...im willing to bet thats more regularly than most of HNA and a pretty good record for my age also. You along with another couple of tits on here seem to think that the posts people make on HNA define their character outside of it.

1559 posts