Shit.

Wank.

POTD.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

Re: EngLOLand - The Backlash!

by URZZ » 27 Jun 2010 19:46

We will find glory one day,

Reading did, and I never thought that would happen.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 27 Jun 2010 19:47

Just realised, better change the avatar, I'm an England plastic afterall :wink:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Jun 2010 19:47

I have been saying the same thing myself the players aren't good enough and until there is a review of the way we develop players from an early age we will fail for another decade and beyond.

readingfc13

by readingfc13 » 27 Jun 2010 19:55

Rev Algenon Stickleback H The manager isn't the issue.

It is the issue though. Who in their right mind sets up an England team with 4-4-2 and plays Gerrard (arguably our best midfielder) wide left and another central midfielder in Milner wide right. That team had not width what so ever and the only way that would change would be through the personnel selected by Capello. I'm not saying this is entirely the reason England faltered at these finals but how can you hope to get the best out of the players when you aren't selecting the best players for the position. Capello made the promise that he would not pick on reputation but on form and fitness, so why does he try and force pieces of the jigsaw into holes that do not fit?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Jun 2010 19:57

readingfc13

It is the issue though. Who in their right mind sets up an England team with 4-4-2 and plays Gerrard (arguably our best midfielder) wide left and another central midfielder in Milner wide right. That team had not width what so ever and the only way that would change would be through the personnel selected by Capello. I'm not saying this is entirely the reason England faltered at these finals but how can you hope to get the best out of the players when you aren't selecting the best players for the position. Capello made the promise that he would not pick on reputation but on form and fitness, so why does he try and force pieces of the jigsaw into holes that do not fit?

Perhaps because he quickly realised he didn't have the talent pool to get rid off the established names. Gerrard played wide left throughout the qualifiers and Aaron Lennon and SWP started the tournament and were dreadful.
Last edited by sandman on 27 Jun 2010 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 27 Jun 2010 19:58

readingfc13

It is the issue though. Who in their right mind sets up an England team with 4-4-2 and plays Gerrard (arguably our best midfielder) wide left and another central midfielder in Milner wide right

I'd suggest the reason we are playing central midfielders left and right is that our wingers are shit and our players are too tactically inflexible to play any other system.

readingfc13

by readingfc13 » 27 Jun 2010 20:03

I'd agree that our wingers aren't in the best of form but then Capello needs to look at a different system if that is the case. Could a midfield diamond with Gerrard the furthest forward been an improvement? It's a simple change but I think it would have better suited the players Capello chose to play.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 Jun 2010 20:04

royal tee
Royal Lady Well, why would you say "won YOU the cup" if you were an England fan you wouldn't have said that.

I'm just a fan of good football who has a sense of perspective.

Royal Lady So, whether Scottish or not, you're clearly not an England fan, so tbh I, personally, couldn't give a flying one about what you think about England.

LOL - its only a game dear. Do calm down

scotLOLand

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Jun 2010 20:05

readingfc13 I'd agree that our wingers aren't in the best of form but then Capello needs to look at a different system if that is the case. Could a midfield diamond with Gerrard the furthest forward been an improvement? It's a simple change but I think it would have better suited the players Capello chose to play.

They can't play anything other than 442. Eriksson played a diamond when he was in charge and it didn't work.

readingfc13

by readingfc13 » 27 Jun 2010 20:06

Just to add to my previous comment, it seems Capello is neither picking the players for the system or picking the system to fit the players.

royal tee

by royal tee » 27 Jun 2010 20:11

SouthDownsRoyal
royal tee
Royal Lady Well, why would you say "won YOU the cup" if you were an England fan you wouldn't have said that.

I'm just a fan of good football who has a sense of perspective.

Royal Lady So, whether Scottish or not, you're clearly not an England fan, so tbh I, personally, couldn't give a flying one about what you think about England.

LOL - its only a game dear. Do calm down

scotLOLand

'greed. The one-eyed ABE attitude of a majority of Jocks is just as pathetic as claiming England have been the victim of the world cup's two worst ever refereeing decisions

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 27 Jun 2010 20:19

Am I the only one who saw this coming? Has anybody been watching the World Cup? England have been abject from the minute they landed whilst Germany have been very good even in the game they lost. Why anybody thought in the space of a few days we were going to turn in to world beaters know's nothing about football or reads the Sun.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 Jun 2010 20:20

SouthDownsRoyal scotLOLand

royal tee 'greed. The one-eyed ABE attitude of a majority of Jocks is just as pathetic as claiming England have been the victim of the world cup's two worst ever refereeing decisions

scotLOLand

boycey

by boycey » 27 Jun 2010 20:24

Absolutely gutted.As every Englishman should be.

Lets hope that was the last time JT, Stevie and Lamps's little gang ever get to pay together.

Time for wholesale changes.

And with rose tinted spectacles firmly off, 2-2 at half time = a totally different match.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 27 Jun 2010 20:29

boycey Absolutely gutted.As every Englishman should be.

Lets hope that was the last time JT, Stevie and Lamps's little gang ever get to pay together.

And with rose tinted spectacles firmly off, 2-2 at half time = a totally different match.

There's a lot of this on this thread.

Those of you who genuinely want 'wholesale changes' in the England setup should consider whether you are happy to have a third-rate international side getting third-rate results and struggling to qualify for major tournaments. A bit like Scotland.

They may under-perform, but if Terry, Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney can't win us a World Cup, then there is fcuk all chance that Dawson, Huddlestone, Carrick and Agbonlahor are going to.

People need to be realistic - for this squad to have won the World Cup would have been one of the greatest ever sporting achievements of this nation. To stop picking our best players for the international side would make us a laughing stock.

boycey

by boycey » 27 Jun 2010 20:39

cmonurz
boycey Absolutely gutted.As every Englishman should be.

There's a lot of this on this thread.

Those of you who genuinely want 'wholesale changes' in the England setup should consider whether you are happy to have a third-rate international side getting third-rate results and struggling to qualify for major tournaments. A bit like Scotland.

They may under-perform, but if Terry, Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney can't win us a World Cup, then there is fcuk all chance that Dawson, Huddlestone, Carrick and Agbonlahor are going to.

People need to be realistic - for this squad to have won the World Cup would have been one of the greatest ever sporting achievements of this nation. To stop picking our best players for the international side would make us a laughing stock.

The "golden" generation have had their chances.
I dont know the answer but then again I'm not paid 5 million pounds to work it out.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 27 Jun 2010 20:49

royal tee
Schards#2 England have been on the wrong end of the two worst refereeing decisions in the history of the tournament.

LOL - does that include the one that gifted you the cup in....sorry can't remember the year

or how about Shumacher vs Battiston

:roll:

The 1966 decision is one that, even today, is debated as to whether it is right or not, the Schumaker decision would, at worst have been a red card and a free kick.

As opposed to a goal that everyone in the stadium bar the officials saw was punch in and a goal that everyone in the stadium bar the officials saw was a yard over the line.

If you can your prejudice aside for a moment, you will see the point.

The only arguable worse decision was the referee disallowing a goal against Kuwait because one of their royal fans kicked off, but that was 3 or 4 nil at the time anyway so had no influence on the outcome.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 27 Jun 2010 20:53

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Jun 2010 20:55

Anyone who accuses fans of sour grapes when something is clearly shown as happening on camera in the 21st century is slightly mental.

324 posts