Non - League thread 2009/10

725 posts
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Non - League thread 2009/10

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 May 2010 17:54

apparently the "usual missile throwing" and the York players being prevented from returning to the changing rooms by the baying Luton mob

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 03 May 2010 17:56

According to our local radio Luton "fans" ran onto the pitck and threw objects towards York players/fans...who were naturally celebrating their win.

It comes to something when other Luton fans (the ones of sound mind) admitted they weren't surprised at the off field antics!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 May 2010 18:47

Showed this on Sky earlier. NIck Owen refused to say that any fans subsequently caught would be banned. :roll:

York players were having bottles etc thrown at them and were having to hide at the back of a stand with stewards and police. Disgraceful scenes. Talk about sore losers. :roll:

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 03 May 2010 20:07

Enjoyed an excellent game at Marlow this afternoon to see Maidenhead win the B&B Cup beating Wycombe 3-2 AET.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 03 May 2010 20:30

Royal Lady Showed this on Sky earlier. NIck Owen refused to say that any fans subsequently caught would be banned. :roll:

York players were having bottles etc thrown at them and were having to hide at the back of a stand with stewards and police. Disgraceful scenes. Talk about sore losers. :roll:

Dear oh Dear, what would David Evans say?

Ban home fans from all games? (or just ban away teams?)

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 03 May 2010 21:20

Compo's Hat All about Maidenhead V Wycombe in the Berks & Bucks final at Marlow on Monday afternoon.

So where were you then Compo? :twisted:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 May 2010 22:02

Congratulations Oxford on a fine win, and would love to see them back in the football league.

Luton Town fans are a disgrace.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 May 2010 22:05

wolsey
Royal Lady Showed this on Sky earlier. NIck Owen refused to say that any fans subsequently caught would be banned. :roll:

Who is David Evans? :oops:

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 03 May 2010 23:51

This PMs other scores:

COCOP
Bookham 2-1 Dorking
Colliers Wood United 5-0 Badshot Lea
Horley Town 3-2 Cove
Raynes Park Vale 2-1 Guildford City
COCO1
CB Hounslow United 1-2 Staines Lammas
Eversley PP Chobham - no show from Chobham - unable to raise a team.
Farnham Town 2-3 Knaphill
Frimley Green 1-4 Cobham
Mole Valley SCR PP Coulsdon United - no show from Coulsdon - unable to raise a team.
Warlingham 2-5 South Park
Westfield 1-2 Bedfont Sports

Cup Finals
CCL Division One Challenge Cup @ Ashford Town (Middx)
Croydon Municipal 1-2 Worcester Park

Hellenic Challenge Cup Final @ Wantage Town
Ardley Utd 2-0 Slimbridge

Wessex League Cup Final @ Christchurch FC
Poole Town 0-2 Bemerton Heath Harlequins

... and finally my two games - both entertaining in their own way -2nd game at a better ground - nice big clubhouse at the entrance - but they had run out of programmes by 14:25 :evil:
12:00h Spartan South Mids Div Two: Padbury Utd 3-0 Aston Clinton

15:00h United Counties Premier: Long Buckby 5-0 Boston Town

Tomorrow (Tue) night sees RTFC going to Shortwood with a 3 goal lead from the first leg of the Hellenic Floodlit Cup Final.
Not much else on: Cove are due to play Farnborough in the Aldersh!t Senior Cup Semi-Final: the final is pencilled in for Thursday Winners vs Fleet Town
Another game @ Larges Lane for Wokkers vs Flackwell Heath in the Reading Senior Cup - Westwood Utd await the Winners in the final, usually held at the MadStad later this month.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 04 May 2010 01:38

handbags_harris
Compo's Hat All about Maidenhead V Wycombe in the Berks & Bucks final at Marlow on Monday afternoon.

So where were you then Compo? :twisted:

Recovering from the weekend :oops:

Here's a video from Luton, glad they're going up if i'm honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... wEsk&gl=GB

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 04 May 2010 01:41

On a weekend in which violent incidents overshadowed dramatic matches between Sheffield Wednesday and Crystal Palace in the Championship and Luton Town and York City in the Conference playoffs, one attack might actually have a direct effect on footballing matters. It wasn't a large-scale brawl or pitch invasion, it was a gross abuse of trust by one socially-retarded individual who may well have cost his team promotion.

During Boreham Wood's Ryman Premier League playoff victory at home to Kingstonian, K's captain Francis Duku had a 50th minute opening goal disallowed for a foul on the goalkeeper:

Duku thought he had given visitors Kingstonian the lead at Meadow Park when he tapped in from close range after Wood keeper Tony Tucker had spilled a cross. His strike was ruled out by the referee for a foul on Tucker. But before the free-kick could be taken, a man from inside the crowd behind the goal broke onto the pitch, and then allegedly assaulted Duku.
The specific allegation is that the man encroached onto the field of play and punched Duku in the face. Clearly this is entirely unacceptable behaviour, but its implications could reach further than you might imagine.

Boreham Wood reached Saturday's playoff final after finishing fourth in the Ryman Premier table and beating Essex side Aveley 1-0 in their playoff semi-final. Kingstonian won 4-2 in a thrilling game at Surrey rivals Sutton United after the pair finished fifth and second respectively behind champions Dartford. Boreham Wood's 2-0 victory saw Ian Allinson's men secure promotion to the Conference South alongside the Darts, but their upward mobility may yet be in jeopardy thanks to the violent actions of one stupid supporter.

Kingstonian, after discussions withe the players and supporters club, have lodged a formal appeal with league bosses on the grounds that the incident had a lasting effect on the players' performance as second half goals from Ryan Moran and Dewayne Clarke fired Boreham Wood to victory. It will be fascinating to see how that appeal, which will ultimately be heard by the Football Association, turns out.

Earlier in this post I mentioned trust. To our overseas readers that might sound like a strange concept to be considering in a football discussion, but below the sixth tier of English football, there is an element of unspoken trust between clubs and supporters. In most cases, supporters at the lower levels of non-league are not segregated, nor are they heavily 'policed' either by standard Old Bill or by stewards. As a keen supporter of Tooting & Mitcham United, I can say with some confidence that the grounds I've been to in non-league, Imperial Fields included, are not really set up to prevent supporters from making their way onto the pitch.

Saturday's match at Boreham Wood was a little different, according to The Ball Is Round and their first-hand account. Wood's average 250 attendance swelled to over 1,100 for this showpiece occasion, and the resulting measures taken sound as if the club was prepared for an unwanted element being part of the fairweather invasion. TBIR's photos of the day show that the stand behind the goal was busier than the usual Ryman Premier stand, and the police presence was apparently strengthened.

However, I still consider the incident (and other encroachments at Boreham Wood on Saturday) to be as much a breach of trust in non-league as it is a criminal offence. Clubs in non-league have enough problems - as Tooting are experiencing at the moment - without hooligans interfering with their fortunes. As it turns out, the idiotic minority at Boreham Wood on Saturday might well have done the club serious damage.

http://www.twofootedtackle.com/2010/05/ ... efeat.html

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 04 May 2010 09:13

wolsey

He was the Chairman (and Tory MP) in the 80's who, in response to similar actions by Millwall fans at Kenilworth Road, decided that the best way forward was to ban away fans and impose Membership Cards for Home fans.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 04 May 2010 12:38

RE Compos' Hat and 'The Boreham Wood Incident' above - I have to say that in all the years I've been 'following' NL football, from Conference down to (almost) park Football - the only serious crowd trouble (indeed there aren't usually that many in the crowd to start trouble) involved some shaven headed oafs who were 'supporting' B'wood in an FA Cup tie at Leighton (Buzzard).
I know that Leighton have their own small objectionable brand of young chavs but these were middle- aged men going hammer 'n tongs ('n boots) at each other.

The stewards kept well out of it and the Ol' Bill were summoned to sort them all out. :shock:

I got the distinct impression they were actually a 'crew' from another Norf Lahnden outfit - perhaps more used to rough-housing outside White Hart Lane or the Boleyn ground! :?

Similarly [but not NL) anyone else hear the chap from Donny on 5 Sports yesterday/Sunday eve, saying how easily (and cheaply) he'd been able to get tickets for the Owls v Eagles 'crunch' game on Sunday?
My first thought, on listening to his observations, which to be fair were purely on the availability of tickets for the game, was how many other 'local' Yorkshire-club supporting 'thuggies' had gone along specifically for a 'tear-up'?
I'm sure Wednesday Fans aren't known for their aggression but a couple of their 'near neighbours' are...... :roll:

Radio P@xford were also reporting a bit of aggro at the Kassam after yesterday's win over Rushden - home fans objecting to R&D players trying to applaud their own supporters - and the home fans should have been celebrating :shock: - doubtless overshadowed by the scale of violence at Luton I s'pose.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 May 2010 17:56

Tony Le Mesmer Enjoyed an excellent game at Marlow this afternoon to see Maidenhead win the B&B Cup beating Wycombe 3-2 AET.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 May 2010 21:54

Windsor & Eton won the Fair Play award in the S&W league, accumulating the fewest points across all 3 Zamaretto leagues.

Another trophy to the cabinet!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 May 2010 08:20

Over the past season it's become more and more clear that people with FBO's who are prevented from going to matches in tiers 1-5 are getting their football/violence fix by going lower down the leagues - there are a growing number of such incidents being reported.

The trouble at Borehamwood is no great surprise - they certainly have "previous" and there have been quite a few incidents involving them over recent season.

And ditto Luton - shouldn't laugh (but can't help myself!) about one of their crew throwing a punch at the AFC Wimbledon mascot and knocking his/its head off. As this happened just by the family stand apparently young kids watching this were traumatised.....

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 05 May 2010 10:51

Interesing news from Bracknell Town today. What will happen to Binfield I wonder? Wasn't there a mass exodus from Bracknell to Binfield not so long ago???

http://www.getbracknell.co.uk/sport/football/goalpost/s/2070545_mcclurg_and_whitty_take_charge_of_bracknell_town_fc

Could be some interting times at Larges Lane next season esp if they go into the Hellenic.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 05 May 2010 12:19

Terminal Boardom Interesing news from Bracknell Town today. What will happen to Binfield I wonder? Wasn't there a mass exodus from Bracknell to Binfield not so long ago???

... yeah - article suggests the management team from Binfield are 'returning' to Bracknell - phrases such as 'former stomping ground' etc etc .

I wonder if any 'Moles' players will follow - I'd expect Callum (Whitty) might want to help his Dad out (?) and Davies his strike partner would be a good acquisition too.

I hope this doesn't mean a mass exodus from Binfield though - they are a very good little club and did extremely well this year in their first season at Step05.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scores from last nights NL games:

RTFC slumped 0-5 in the 2nd Leg of the Floodlit Cup Final at Shortwood - means they lost 3-5 on agg! :shock:
- have one last chance of silverware starting this Sat @ Scours vs Molesey from the CCLP in the Southern Combination Challenge Cup Semi-Final.
Hanworth Villa also from CCL await the final at a venue and date to be arranged - possibly next season if a venue can't be agreed upon.

Cove 2-0 Farborough - the CCL side bt a near full-strength 'boro in the Semi of the Aldersh!t FA Senior Cup - they will now play Fleet Town but the original date/venue of this Thursday (6th) at Aldersh!t Town's Rec Ground has been postponed - apparently cos Aldersh.. are due to be in the L2 Play Offs.
Not quite sure why that means that Cove and Fleet can't have their Final THIS week! :?

Holders Wokingham & Emmbrook were beaten last night in Extra Time @ Larges Lane by Flackwell Heath in the Reading Senior Cup.
The Final will be at the MadStad later this month - Westwood Utd are the other Finalists.

I zipped up the A4074 to AFC Wallingford's Hithercroft - watched a very entertaining North Berks Div One League match vs Didcot Casuals (4-2 away win) - had been here several times before but the 'new' grounds at this level usually kick off too early (18:30) for me to get out in time. I knew what I was going to get at Hithercroft - nice bar - floodlight ground etc has hosted football at a much higher level. Minor shame that they don't bother with progammes but you can't have everything. :wink:

... might try and get to a match Thu eve too - choice of CCL Div One games @ :
Bedfont Sports (near Heathrow) v Farnham or
Frimley Green v Eversley -though not sure if this one has been switched or in the Premier
Badshot Lea v Sandhurst - now being played @ Farnham I think?
I need to drop my eldest two off at 19:00h (Scouts) and go on from there.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 05 May 2010 18:12

Just heard Hertfordshire Police confirm they did not arrest fan who struck a Kingstonian player on Saturday, they just threw him out. :roll:

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 May 2010 20:25

Dirk Gently And ditto Luton - shouldn't laugh (but can't help myself!) about one of their crew throwing a punch at the AFC Wimbledon mascot and knocking his/its head off. As this happened just by the family stand apparently young kids watching this were traumatised.....

I remember some Luton fan at Wembley after the Simod Cup final walking into the Reading fans outside challenging anyone to have a go. He looked really pleased with himself at how hard he looked, right up until someone walking past just knocked him to the ground with one punch.

725 posts