Non - League thread 2009/10

725 posts
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Non - League thread 2009/10

by Terminal Boardom » 06 May 2010 15:08

The following link may interest on or three and is a view as to how the higher echelons of NL football may look.

http://www.mikeavery.co.uk/Steps%201-4%20in%202010-11.htm

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 06 May 2010 17:15

Terminal Boardom The following link may interest on or three and is a view as to how the higher echelons of NL football may look.

http://www.mikeavery.co.uk/Steps%201-4%20in%202010-11.htm

If that stays as is, Gloucester City have a bonkers amount of travelling to do!

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 06 May 2010 17:37

TBF, Ark, there's always going to be one or two teams that get stitched up. A couple of years ago, there were two Midlands teams who were in different leagues of the same tier - the more northerly (by around 30 miles) was actuall in the more southerly league :?

For travelling distances, check out Truro's potential trip to East Anglia (Bury Town I think) - 370 miles :shock:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 06 May 2010 19:33

Cheshire West and Chester Council have decided to offer a five year lease on the Deva Stadium to City Fans United - supporters group pledged to maintain league football in the city. The decision announced today (Wednesday) was made after detailed consideration of the business cases presented by CFU and Danish Consortium, Fodbold Selskabet. Both bidders presented their business case to a special panel led by Chief Executive Steve Robinson and including independent business men and a advisor with experience of the establishment of a Phoenix Club.

Later both groups were questioned by panel members and asked to clarify issues raised during the presentation.

Chief Executive Steve Robinson issued the following statement; -

"The Panel was impressed with the professionalism, enthusiasm and commitment shown by both groups. Consequently, reaching a final decision has not been easy.

Strengths and weaknesses in both cases have been carefully assessed and balanced in the knowledge that time-scales governing this process are acutely short, if Chester is to have league football next season.

"The Danish Consortium combined an obvious passion for English football with some very innovative ideas and financial support, both immediate and potential. We are extremely grateful for their very keen interest and the considerable time taken to formulate the bid and travel to the U.K to present their case.

"However, it was the Panel's unanimous view that City Fans United, were further advanced in terms of required management structure and overall ability to enter a team into whichever league is determined by the FA. Without doubt, their pride in club and city is unrivalled, as indeed, would be the support for their proposal from the people of Chester andits surrounding area. It was these factors, combined with the very strong community engagement element in their case which persuaded the panel to assign the lease of Deva Stadium for five years to the CFU Board.

"CFU have promised a club 'run by the community for the community' with a multi-sport approach designed to reach all sections of our society from the young to the disadvantaged. On that basis this authority will do everything it can to help, support and advise the new club and we urge the Chester public and businesses to do so as well.

"Whilst the Danish Consortium is bound to be disappointed with the outcome, their enthusiasm to be involved with Chester FC, could perhaps still be channelled into working with and providing support to CFU."

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 May 2010 19:38

..and from a stitch-up play-off stylee

OOOP north in the BSQ North

Fleetwood finished second and 21 points ahead of their nearest rivals

as did Lancaster City in the Unibond North

Neither will see promotion

maybe it is time for things to be reviewed once more (at least in the lower leagues)

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 06 May 2010 19:48

AthleticoSpizz ..and from a stitch-up play-off stylee

OOOP north in the BSQ North

Fleetwood finished second and 21 points ahead of their nearest rivals

as did Lancaster City in the Unibond North

Neither will see promotion

Fleetwood Town will play in the BSN play-off final at their home ground this coming Sunday, vs Alfreton. Cod Army.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 May 2010 19:49

how did that work out?

I thought Droylsden got the gig

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 May 2010 19:56

with a massive :oops: and I do appologise

i STAND CORRECTED re Fleetwood....yet there is still the potential

Hope that they win....just so as they can p1ss Southport right off (who got promoted thanx to Farsleys expunged record, yet were very ungracious about it) ... watched The Cod Army once at Highbury way back when they were in the NW Counties

got the Lancaster bit right tho'

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 06 May 2010 21:09

The FA seem to be missing a trick here.

The top 3 Steps are overweighted with Southern Teams. About 70% of the teams in Step 3 could be desbibed as 'Southern'. which means that as ever year goes by, Step 2 has more and more of an uneven geographical balance. With 3 southern teams being relegated from Step 1, it just makes the problem worse. In 2011/12, its likely that Bishops Stortford or Braintree will have to move to the Northern section, give it another 5 years and Maidenhead will be facing a league trip to Blyth Spartans! er, IN!!!

Anyway, Conf Sth looks very tough next year with both Conf Clubs entering the Southern half and the progressive Dartford and Farnborough likely to be challenging for the title as well.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 May 2010 20:34

Neville Roach, yes the Neville Roach is now the manager of the mighty Hartley Wintney Town FC

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 May 2010 00:11

I always said that he would "make-it" one day

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 08 May 2010 11:24

paultheroyal Neville Roach, yes the Neville Roach is now the manager of the mighty Hartley Wintney Town FC

... here's the 'offical' press release: :)

HARTLEY WINTNEY FC OFFICIAL CLUB PRESS RELEASE

Hartley Wintney FC is pleased to announce that their new First Team Manager for the forthcoming 2010-11 season will be Neville Roach.

Neville started his professional playing career with Reading and went on to represent Southend United, Oldham Athletic, Torquay United and Oxford United. He is best known locally for his several seasons leading the line as a striker with Basingstoke Town, where he was a firm favourite of the fans. He has decided to end his impressive playing career due to injury, but is excited at the challenge of management that now lies ahead.

"I'm delighted to be given the chance to manage a club I think has great potential and a great setup, and I thank the Chairman for putting his faith in me," said Neville.

Neville will announce his background staff in due course, but it is expected that Louis King and Mick Wollen will feature in the setup.

Louis King, who took over as first team manager half way through the season, had already signalled his preference to revert back to a coaching support role. "It's no secret that I would like to step down and leave the team in the hands of someone more capable than myself," he said. "Whatever happens, though, I will definitely still be part of Hartley Wintney football club in some way."

The Club are also pleased to announce that Danny Roberts and Andy Hunt will continue to run the Reserve side that will again compete in the Suburban League next season. As well as establishing themselves at the higher level in their first season in the Suburban League, this season has seen the introduction of a number of youth team players into the Reserves, encouraged by Danny and Andy. It is hoped that this progression continues and that the First team will soon benefit.

The Youth team, who compete in the Southern Youth League, will continue under the guidance of Graham Smith. Graham has done a great job this season - the team's first campaign - and continues to forge a good relationship with the senior sides.

The Club are looking forward to the new season and wish Neville and all the managers a successful forthcoming campaign.

Watched HW a few times last season - nice 'n easy ground to get to - had the added attraction of Ray 'Razor' Spence in their line-up (if he's wasn't crocked or suspended :? )

Always entertaining - on their day they are capable of beating the best in this division - trouble is they didn't quite have enough of these 'days' last season to make an impact on the top four and fell away a bit at the end.

They'll be on my 'revisit' list again for 10/11 - for evenings when I'm limited in range.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 08 May 2010 11:40

You know you're really getting old when the players who you remember as promising youngster are now getting managerial jobs! :shock:

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 08 May 2010 16:28

... Keith Knight is still Coach at Cirencester Town - up to the Southern Premier now - won the Play Offs.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 May 2010 20:40

Dirk Gently You know you're really getting old when the players who you remember as promising youngster are now getting managerial jobs! :shock:
"unable to play" and still only 31

Stuffed Crust Pizza

by Stuffed Crust Pizza » 08 May 2010 21:20

Congratulations to Barrow who today won the FA Trophy at Wembly. 21,223 fans saw Barrow beat hot favourites Stevenage after extra-time and only 19 men finished the game. Stevenage however will find consolation in the fact that they will play league football next season after securing promotion last month.

Fair play to both teams!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 May 2010 22:11

agreed

Thought that they would better 21k tho' bearing in mind Stevenages locality/fanbase and Barrows reasonable followings at Holker.

Maybe time for "£embley Plc" to review their ticket pricings etc for future games at this level.

I attended Northwich Vic v Telford at the old Wembley back in the 1980's, the crowd then was about the same...........nothing has progressed much, and back then (unlike Stevenage') both were relatively Northern teams.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 May 2010 01:05

AthleticoSpizz Maybe time for "£embley Plc" to review their ticket pricings etc for future games at this level.

The prices for everything there are just utterly ludicrous .... for instance, something like £20k just to switch on the scoreboard.

When AFCW played Corinthians they wanted one of their people to video the game from an area behind the goal, and were told they'd need to have something like 4 extra security guards on duty for the whole day if that was to happen - I think the cost was well over a grand for that!

I'm also organising a function there in July and the costs for everything are utterly unbelievable! To open one area of balcony for an hour I need to pay for two security guards for 8 hours.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 May 2010 17:11

Oxford v York City is £35 per ticket....and thats a lot for non-league, Wembley play-off or not

except it isn't just the £35.

Tickets cannot actually be bought from the clubs....to get one you have to pay an additional £3 admin + £1.95 postage to Wembleys agents seetickets.

Should the crowd get anywhere near 50k, that'll be virtually £250k going into seetickets pockets..........................for what?

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 09 May 2010 17:31

Agreed, Spizz. IMO, it's utterly farcical that football tickets attract a booking fee.

725 posts