Fifa world rankings

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Fifa world rankings

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Sep 2015 10:31

LUX GTFI Luxembourg beat Macedonia and get off the bottom of the table. Must admit I didn't go last night, been a bit let down recently. Fickle.

ps. Wales top their Group having scored just nine goals in seven games, a Group including Andorra ffs. Only Andorra have scored fewer goals than Wales in that Group of 6.

They've only conceded 1 goal in 7 tbough haven't they so what they've done is built a solid squad of journeyman players who have largely developed together and who keep it tight then rely on the one truly world class player that they have to make the difference. Exactly the way a country with a polulation of 4 million should be doing to maximise their chances. I think Coleman's done a fantastic job.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Sep 2015 10:39

Albania assured of at least a play-off place. :shock:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 07 Sep 2015 10:53

And Iceland confirmed as going through.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 07 Sep 2015 11:10

Stranded Just a draw for Wales but they only realistically need one point now and finish at home to Andorra, so even they shouldn't be able to screw up from here.

LOLz if they do though

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 07 Sep 2015 11:32

Gr8 to see Hazard score that L8 goal yesterday!

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 07 Sep 2015 16:02

Silver Fox
Stranded Just a draw for Wales but they only realistically need one point now and finish at home to Andorra, so even they shouldn't be able to screw up from here.

LOLz if they do though

bigger one if they don't

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 07 Sep 2015 16:30

stealthpapes
double d I don't understand how Romania have gotten so high up the rankings? Can't recall them being in a major tournament for donkeys years or beating anybody of note?

I have just read something saying they hired a consultant/analyst to work out how best to play the ranking system.

Nice gig if you can get it

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 07 Sep 2015 16:32

multisync1830
Silver Fox

LOLz if they do though

bigger one if they don't

:|

congratulations, your NEMSA application form's winging its way to you right now.

double d

by double d » 08 Sep 2015 05:40

Green
stealthpapes
double d I don't understand how Romania have gotten so high up the rankings? Can't recall them being in a major tournament for donkeys years or beating anybody of note?

I have just read something saying they hired a consultant/analyst to work out how best to play the ranking system.

Nice gig if you can get it

Where is the link for that? What a great job that would be!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Sep 2015 08:15

Possibly the best moment of this round of qualifiers - San Marino score in Lithuania

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzBH9wpTX_k

You can see how much it meant to everyone involved. Shame they lost to a 92nd minute winner though.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Sep 2015 11:36

Stranded Possibly the best moment of this round of qualifiers - San Marino score in Lithuania

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzBH9wpTX_k

You can see how much it meant to everyone involved. Shame they lost to a 92nd minute winner though.

1 away goal in 14 years and yet there's still no pre-qualifiers for European WC and EC qualifying groups.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Sep 2015 11:55

What would be the impact, if any, on the finances of smaller FAs like San Marino, without I assume lucrative games against the bigger sides? Would it not just consign these countries to the wilderness?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Sep 2015 20:34

Sanguine What would be the impact, if any, on the finances of smaller FAs like San Marino, without I assume lucrative games against the bigger sides? Would it not just consign these countries to the wilderness?

You never know, they might show some improvement and get to a play off for full qualifying and some bigger games + money.

And it's the sort of thing where FIFA / UEFA money ought to be going, to support minnows. Pay for a proper pitch for them for a start, the one we played on was horrendous.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Sep 2015 08:22

Ian Royal
Sanguine What would be the impact, if any, on the finances of smaller FAs like San Marino, without I assume lucrative games against the bigger sides? Would it not just consign these countries to the wilderness?

You never know, they might show some improvement and get to a play off for full qualifying and some bigger games + money.

And it's the sort of thing where FIFA / UEFA money ought to be going, to support minnows. Pay for a proper pitch for them for a start, the one we played on was horrendous.

But they already get to do that now.

Point is, without direct funding to replace revenues lost from the games they play at the moment, they aren't going to improve.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Sep 2015 11:17

Why change it really. Yes, they are rubbish now and probably always will be but that isn't necessarily so.

Iceland were always traditional whipping boys but over the years they have slowly improved and reached the play-offs for the WC and now their first major tournament.

Latvia seem to be regressing now but made Euro 2004. Greece won that competition but now have lost home and away to the Faroes and I think are bottom of their group?

Teams will soon be playing more competitive matches against teams at their level in the UEFA League (or whatever it's called) so leave the qualifying as it is I think.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Sep 2015 18:44

Sanguine
Ian Royal

But they already get to do that now.

Point is, without direct funding to replace revenues lost from the games they play at the moment, they aren't going to improve.

They don't get the getting better bit.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Sep 2015 08:13

As said, Iceland have. Latvia did, Albania have gone closer to qualifying than ever before, Slovakia are top of their group, Israel keep threatening to qualify,

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 11 Sep 2015 08:43

.................Luxembourg are still not bottom of their group.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Oct 2015 22:46

Belgium are now officially the best team in the world. Could be dark horses for the Euros.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 14 Oct 2015 01:20

Pepe the Horseman Belgium are now officially the best team in the world. Could be dark horses for the Euros.

You're not gonna let me forget that quote are you :lol:

Pcunt