England v Hungary - squad and match thread

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

England v Hungary - squad and match thread

by TBM » 07 Aug 2010 21:37

Wiltshire gets his call up as does Gibbs. 3 Arsenal players in the squad, when was the last time that happened :-)

Goalkeepers: Ben Foster (Birmingham), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Paul Robinson (Blackburn)

Defenders: Wes Brown (Manchester United), Gary Cahill (Bolton), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham Hotspur), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), John Terry (Chelsea)

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Aston Villa), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Forwards: Darren Bent (Sunderland), Carlton Cole (West Ham United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Bobby Zamora (Fulham)

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: England v Hungary - squad and match thread

by Wycombe Royal » 07 Aug 2010 21:50

I thought Bristol City signed England's No. 1? You now the one who conceded three goals on his debut....

Anyway looks like a decent squad and a chance to see what some of the players who have been on the fringes can do.

I'm also very happy for Bobby Zamora - he deserves his crack at International football.

Stuffed Crust Pizza

by Stuffed Crust Pizza » 07 Aug 2010 21:56

Glad to see Fabio has the balls to drop the old guard as only 10 of the 23 World Cup wallies survive. I think the squad is a little harsh on Joe Cole however and would have included him in the place of Ashley Young. Perhaps the inclusion of the younger players will make viewing more bearable and I'd like to see an experimental 4-2-3-1 with the following starting XI:

Hart
Johnson Cahill Dawson Gibbs
Wilshere Barry
Milner Gerrard Johnson
Zamora

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 07 Aug 2010 22:09

Couldn't care less. An international the week before the season starts for these players? Bonkers.

Stuffed Crust Pizza

by Stuffed Crust Pizza » 07 Aug 2010 22:14

Row Z Royal Couldn't care less. An international the week before the season starts for these players? Bonkers.

Completely agreed. Yet again another ridiculous FIFA-endorsed international friendly where most struggle to muster any interest. Was looking forward to a less than half full Wembley "welcoming" the team back from the World Cup, but the usual patriotic idiots seem to have snapped up enough tickets so not to embarrass the FA. Shame.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 07 Aug 2010 23:24

---------------------------HART----------------------------

--G.JOHNSON-----TERRY-------DAWSON-----A.COLE--

---MILNER----BARRY------WILSHERE-------A.JOHNSON/A.YOUNG--

-------------------------GERRARD--------------------------

---------------------- ---ROONEY--------------------------

I wish we had a better RB though.....Griffin for England anyone? No joke, I swear he's better than GLOLen Johnson

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 08 Aug 2010 00:06

How the hell is Lampard in there still. The boy lives a charmed life.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 08 Aug 2010 00:25

Row Z Royal Couldn't care less. An international the week before the season starts for these players? Bonkers.

The only positive use would be to give the young/fringe players called up a game rather than the usual line-up but then even they won't be fully motivated.

Trouble is we all know what potentially another bad display/defeat will mean in the press!

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 08 Aug 2010 09:20

Paul Robinson has basically stuck 2 fingers up at Capello, by pulling out of the squad and announcing his international retirement.

Good for him.

Overlooked by Capello for the whole of the Managers time in charge, suddenly he gets drafted into a squad for a friendly for which it was unlikely that he would have started.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Aug 2010 09:39

Mr Angry Paul Robinson has basically stuck 2 fingers up at Capello, by pulling out of the squad and announcing his international retirement.

Good for him.

Overlooked by Capello for the whole of the Managers time in charge, suddenly he gets drafted into a squad for a friendly for which it was unlikely that he would have started.

I can see why he's done it, but don't agree with anyone retiring really as it's turning your back on your country.

Basically he's pulled the same stunt Carragher and spat out his dummy because he isn't in the side. As for the way he's done it, that just stinks of wanting to cause as much of a fuss as possible. He could easily have done it on the quiet when he wasn't selected in the squad, he didn't, as he's said have to wait until selected to then pull out. Lost a bit of respect for him now.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 08 Aug 2010 10:15

I think its symptomatic of the fact that Capello isn't a manager held in the highest regard or respect.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 08 Aug 2010 11:00

Paul Robinson should of been number 1 at the world cup.

Capello should of gone ages ago.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 08 Aug 2010 12:16

Representing your country is the highest accolade that anyone can achieve. Turning your back is nothing short of selfishness. BUT... considering the vitriol that spews forth from the media and stands, is it any wonder why footballers turn their backs?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 08 Aug 2010 12:29

A few years trotting around the continent as a third choice keeper to two inexperienced goalkeepers, with no hope of playing? Little surprise Robinson has given Capello the finger. Poorly treated by England since a couple of high profile mistakes.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 08 Aug 2010 12:37

The worrying thing is that Capello clearly didn't speak with Robinson before selecting him, surely that's not the same lack of communication highlighted as a problem at the WC? Which would suggest that Capello is again displaying this arrogant streak where he won't listen to others or learn from his mistakes

Good on Paul Robinson I say, as said earlier a couple of high profile mistakes but overall solid...just reading on SSN he only conceded 22 goals in 74 games and kept a clean sheet in just shy of 60% of the games he played. Who else has matched that at international level?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 08 Aug 2010 12:39

Well he only got 41 caps, so that stat is a strange one.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 08 Aug 2010 12:42

:oops: read it wrong then

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 08 Aug 2010 12:48

It was 22 conceded in 41 caps, which is still easily the best of any England keeper at 0.52 per game (Woods was 0.58, Seaman 0.59, Shilton 0.64, Banks 0.78).

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 08 Aug 2010 22:17

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8896134.stm

Wes Brown joins Robinson in retiring from internationals. As the article says, the lack of communication between Capello and (fringe) squad members really seems to be lacking. Also, the fact that Capello didn't even make the phonecall to Scholes to try and convince him to go to South Africa makes you question his man management.

Who does this now leave as 2nd choice right back behind Johnson? Brown, Carragher, Young all retired, GNev surely too old. Griffin?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 08 Aug 2010 22:38

Micah Richards, I'd guess. I'd expect him to be next in line to the squad even if, like with Robinson, they don't bother with a replacement for this friendly.