The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8707 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Jan 2022 17:12

South Coast Royal If ever there was a bad appointment it was Benitez at Everton, not least because of his tenure at Anfield and not letting him have funds of note to buy players pre-season seemed a bit daft at the time.

Likewise Eddie Howe at Newcastle-10 games now and one win and that against what is now the bottom club.
When a new manager is appointed there is often the new manager bounce where the very same players , at least initially, do better-see Cooper at Forest and Wilder at Middlesboro but Newcastle are still really bad.

So far that hasn't happened at Newcastle and their next game v Leeds is massive on a weekend when points will be gained by Watford and Norwich or even both (they play each other) and on Tuesday a similar scenario when Burnley play Watford.

Can see Howe getting the boot and Benitez replacing him over the next couple of months.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 Jan 2022 19:05

South Coast Royal If ever there was a bad appointment it was Benitez at Everton.

It was bad, but it was no David Hockaday to Leeds

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Jan 2022 21:56

Martinez is the current favourite to take over. Can't imagine that'll be a very popular appointment either.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Jan 2022 23:08

Pepe the Horseman Martinez is the current favourite to take over. Can't imagine that'll be a very popular appointment either.

Everton have become a really pointless club. Think they should be looking for someone younger with new, fresh ideas. There’s no fun sitting in mid table each year with no real progress. Whilst Martinez did very well his first season there, I don’t think he’s the answer

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Jan 2022 08:39

Pepe the Horseman Martinez is the current favourite to take over. Can't imagine that'll be a very popular appointment either.

Wouldn't be totally surprised if Rooney went there. He is doing a decent job at Derby, all things considered, and it would be the exact opposite of Rafa.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Jan 2022 08:41

Hendo

Wouldn't be totally surprised if Rooney went there. He is doing a decent job at Derby, all things considered, and it would be the exact opposite of Rafa.

Can see them appointing big Dunc until the end of the season with Rooney coming in during the summer. I don't see Wayne Rooney managing in League 1 and nor should he. He has done enough to demonstrate he is at the least an excellent man manager which is half the battle at elite level.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Jan 2022 08:44

NathStPaul
Hendo

Can see them appointing big Dunc until the end of the season with Rooney coming in during the summer. I don't see Wayne Rooney managing in League 1 and nor should he. He has done enough to demonstrate he is at the least an excellent man manager which is half the battle at elite level.

Not a bad shout with Dunc. Could see that happening as well.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 17 Jan 2022 08:57

It will be whoever our friend Kia recommends to the Everton owner.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 17 Jan 2022 09:32

NathStPaul
Hendo

What could possibly go wrong with the easily led Rooney?

https://futballnews.com/wayne-rooney-sa ... oes-viral/

Video https://youtu.be/Mm8M6wDmYs0

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Jan 2022 09:33

Uke
NathStPaul
Hendo

How has this impacted his managerial ability?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 17 Jan 2022 09:37

NathStPaul
Uke
NathStPaul Can see them appointing big Dunc until the end of the season with Rooney coming in during the summer. I don't see Wayne Rooney managing in League 1 and nor should he. He has done enough to demonstrate he is at the least an excellent man manager which is half the battle at elite level.

It won’t look good for the Everton “brand” internationally.

But then again that probably makes it the right club for him…

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Jan 2022 09:41

Uke
NathStPaul
Uke

I think Rooney is definitely a flawed character for sure. Maybe he has changed his ways though, not heard anything negative about him for a little while now. I'd also say Everton's options are slightly limited. A huge managerial name will demand a lot of money to spend and I am not sure it is there at Everton, certainly didn't appear to be there for Benitez.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 17 Jan 2022 09:45

NathStPaul
Uke
NathStPaul How has this impacted his managerial ability?

I think Rooney is definitely a flawed character for sure. Maybe he has changed his ways though, not heard anything negative about him for a little while now. I'd also say Everton's options are slightly limited. A huge managerial name will demand a lot of money to spend and I am not sure it is there at Everton, certainly didn't appear to be there for Benitez.

Agreed he’s flawed, but when “not heard anything negative about him for a little while now” refers to the end of July last year (six months ago) is a bigger less-of-a-basket-case club like Everton going to want to take a punt.

I’m happy for him to go though if only so he can meat up with his granny again

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 17 Jan 2022 10:37

As he'll be back on Merseyside Mrs Rooney will be with him all the time to keep an eye on him.

He's done a far better job at Derby than I was expecting and you'd think the Everton job may well be enough for him to go back on his statement that he'd not walk out on Derby.

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 19 Jan 2022 03:26

NathStPaul
Uke
NathStPaul How has this impacted his managerial ability?

thought they were a very rich club hampered by FFP?!

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 19 Jan 2022 04:04

I posted on here a while back that I thought Tuchel was a bit over-rated...22 points out of the last 42 is very much mid-table form

Roman isn't known for his patience

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Jan 2022 07:58

BROB0T I posted on here a while back that I thought Tuchel was a bit over-rated...22 points out of the last 42 is very much mid-table form

Roman isn't known for his patience

Best hurry - Lampard’s being interviewed at Goodson, apparently :wink:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Jan 2022 09:16

Only two defeats in those 14 games, and one of them to City. Guess it depends how much emphasis Roman places on finishing second, over anywhere else in the top four - his CL win will/should likely buy him into next season, and they look good for at least CL QFs this season, and have a League Cup final to come.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 19 Jan 2022 10:23

Sanguine his CL win will/should likely buy him into next season

Wouldn't be so sure, Roberto di Matteo didn't even make it to Christmas the season after he won the CL.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 Jan 2022 10:26

Chelsea made a mistake re-signing Lukaku in hindsight, his heart wouldn't appear to be in it. I'm not sure he works hard enough in the system they play. That Chelsea team with a really mobile, pacey striker would be a lot closer to City imo.

8707 posts