The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8707 posts
Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Zammo » 19 Feb 2024 15:36

Hendo
Clyde1998
Zammo Beale gone from Sunderland already. Looked massively out of his depth at all three clubs....

Queens Park Rangers 1 June 2022-28 November 2022
Rangers 28 November 2022-1 October 2023
Sunderland 18 December 2023-19 February 2024

Wouldn't say he's been terrible at Sunderland. Sunderland are basically where they've been all season - just outside the play-offs. I don't know what their expectations are though.

Sacked after 12 games into a 2.5 year contract, he must be laughing all the way to the bank.

I remember a documentary or perhaps a Five Live feature about managers being sacked and the gist being that they rarely get their contract paid up in full upon dismissal. Some managers have waited over a year before a settlement is agreed.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 19 Feb 2024 15:49

Hodgson quits :!:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Feb 2024 15:58

Zammo
Hendo
Clyde1998 Wouldn't say he's been terrible at Sunderland. Sunderland are basically where they've been all season - just outside the play-offs. I don't know what their expectations are though.

Sacked after 12 games into a 2.5 year contract, he must be laughing all the way to the bank.

I remember a documentary or perhaps a Five Live feature about managers being sacked and the gist being that they rarely get their contract paid up in full upon dismissal. Some managers have waited over a year before a settlement is agreed.

I mean, even half would be a result.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Feb 2024 16:13

Zammo Hodgson quits :!:

That's lucky!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 Feb 2024 16:18

I like Roy. Hope he sits back, relaxes and enjoys a well earned retirement. Given a lot to the game.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Feb 2024 16:24

weren't Sunderland fans chanting Mowbray's name on Beale's first game in charge? :lol: They are only 4 points outside the play offs. can't be too dissimilar to when he took over.

I like the Italian way of sometimes doing it. They are not sacked, they are just asked to not come to work anymore, they still get paid their monthly wage, and someone else will come in and do the job instead. If the manager asked to stay at home wants a job elsewhere then he will need to resign, at which point he is choosing to quit and therefore forfeit any compensation. If he wants all the money he is owed he can sit at home for the next 2-3 years and earn it, after which his stock is much lower.

iirc its also Italy where you can't manage 2 teams in the same division in the same season. Maybe something we could look at here

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Feb 2024 07:47

Zammo Beale gone from Sunderland already. Looked massively out of his depth at all three clubs....

He didn't look out of his depth at all at QPR - in fact he was doing a fantastic job - he had them 7th with 31pts from 21 games - as comparison, QPR only picked up 19 pts from the final 26 games and now sit in the relegation zone.

Since then, and probably almost precisely because of the way he left QPR, he has just looked like a massive twat.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Feb 2024 08:36

Stranded

He didn't look out of his depth at all at QPR - in fact he was doing a fantastic job - he had them 7th with 31pts from 21 games - as comparison, QPR only picked up 19 pts from the final 26 games and now sit in the relegation zone.

Since then, and probably almost precisely because of the way he left QPR, he has just looked like a massive twat.

Massively entitled Sunderland at it again, sack a perfectly good manager and replace with not quite so good but adequate manager who they then sack after 3 months :roll:

Elsewhere in the Championship, at least we can look forward to QPR getting out of the bottom 3 on Saturday when they beat pretty much all ready relegated Rotherham at home while "looking ever more doomed" Millwall get turned over at Southampton (their manager, Joe Edwards, is probably going to be the next casualty).

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Feb 2024 08:46

Yep, Millwall are done I think, someone will survive due to their new found incompetence - probably QPR.

Wednesday may just about do it too but if they do, can see that being at Stoke's expense.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 20 Feb 2024 09:51

I would like QPR to go down, but their recent upturn in form has made the relegation fight pretty interesting down there. Stoke going down would be absolutely immense.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Feb 2024 11:58

To be honest, if anyone from Cardiff went down, I wouldn't be disappointed with the exception of Plymouth who I think/hope will survive. The rest of them seem to have some sort of issues, most of them being owner related (Rotherham and Millwall possibly the exceptions here - although I can imagine the latter have spent a fair bit trying to reach the PL as well).

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Feb 2024 12:06

The only reason why I'd want Plymouth to drop is so I can go to the away game - have friends down that way and we always make a weekend/overnight of it.

Typical the first time they get promoted in yonks is when we get relegated as well.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 20 Feb 2024 14:25

secret twitter account understood to be Michael Beale has been found, and was retweeting positive things about him when he was at Sunderland & Rangers, while criticising the owners for not spending :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Feb 2024 15:47

Winston Biscuit secret twitter account understood to be Michael Beale has been found, and was retweeting positive things about him when he was at Sunderland & Rangers, while criticising the owners for not spending :lol:

Twat in acting like a twat shocker.

Will be quite some time before he gets another manager's job. Probably needs to get on the blower to Stevie G and get an assistants gig with him in Saudi.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Feb 2024 17:43

Stranded
Winston Biscuit secret twitter account understood to be Michael Beale has been found, and was retweeting positive things about him when he was at Sunderland & Rangers, while criticising the owners for not spending :lol:

Twat in acting like a twat shocker.

Will be quite some time before he gets another manager's job. Probably needs to get on the blower to Stevie G and get an assistants gig with him in Saudi.

What's the betting that any new Reading owners will be big fans of Beale.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Feb 2024 18:23

Neil Harris back at Millwall.

Hugely disrespectful to Cambridge imo, he should have seen the season out with them at least. Was doing a good job there by all accounts, his stock was definitely on the rise.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2024 23:21

NathStPaul Neil Harris back at Millwall.

Hugely disrespectful to Cambridge imo, he should have seen the season out with them at least. Was doing a good job there by all accounts, his stock was definitely on the rise.

Yeah, massive twat move.

They're struggling but I'm led to believe you can see what he was trying to do and see them getting closer to it working.

I know Millwall will hold a pretty big personal draw, but walking out a handful of games into your tenure is just ridiculous. Millwall's job can't have come available completely out of the blue.

Hope they find themselves in the same division as Cambridge next season, and get beat twice em.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Feb 2024 07:52

Snowflake Royal

Yeah, massive twat move.

They're struggling but I'm led to believe you can see what he was trying to do and see them getting closer to it working.

I know Millwall will hold a pretty big personal draw, but walking out a handful of games into your tenure is just ridiculous. Millwall's job can't have come available completely out of the blue.

Hope they find themselves in the same division as Cambridge next season, and get beat twice em.

I would imagine that Harris was given permission to talk to Millwall by Cambridge after the Millwall chairman agreed compensation terms with Cambridge so hardly going to be a case of him just suddenly resigning and applying for the Millwall job esp. as Edwards was only sacked yesterday.

It was all done very quickly so presume Millwall had been talking terms with Cambridge since the weekend. Incidentally, Joe Edwards started his Millwall tenure with a 4-0 win at Sheff Wed and it ended with the 2-0 home defeat to the same club.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Feb 2024 08:51

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal

Yeah, massive twat move.

I would imagine that Harris was given permission to talk to Millwall by Cambridge after the Millwall chairman agreed compensation terms with Cambridge so hardly going to be a case of him just suddenly resigning and applying for the Millwall job esp. as Edwards was only sacked yesterday.

It was all done very quickly so presume Millwall had been talking terms with Cambridge since the weekend. Incidentally, Joe Edwards started his Millwall tenure with a 4-0 win at Sheff Wed and it ended with the 2-0 home defeat to the same club.

Millwall sacked him about 3 years ago for being crap. It says a lot about a man who'd go back to a club that told the world he wasn't good enough, its slightly degrading for him.

He should have finished the season with Cambridge, got them up to finish in midtable (which is a great achievement) and then move on.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Feb 2024 09:25

NathStPaul
Sutekh
Snowflake Royal Yeah, massive twat move.

Millwall sacked him about 3 years ago for being crap. It says a lot about a man who'd go back to a club that told the world he wasn't good enough, its slightly degrading for him.

He should have finished the season with Cambridge, got them up to finish in midtable (which is a great achievement) and then move on.

Doubt he sees it as degrading - he probably feels he has improved as a manager since he was fired and Millwall is his club. Crappy move though to walk out on Cambridge so quickly.

Bit crap on the Millwall side as well, Harris was available when they went with Edwards so could easily have employed him then but clearly weren't sure about his return then.

8707 posts