Sonko

425 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Sonko

by Hoop Blah » 13 Aug 2011 17:43

winchester_royal
Hoop Blah Isn't the discussion about what's being done with the £12m that's come in this summer?

That's all money that's come in SINCE Legiertwood signed.

Yes but Mikele would have been signed knowing that Long was going to be sold.

What difference does that make?

It was still before we had money in from Long or Mills. The club has budgets in place for all these things bit we're constantly told they won't make moved for players until the out going transfers are made and money is in place to fund the purchases.

RFCUK

by RFCUK » 13 Aug 2011 17:45

Surely the club thought 'Well, if we go up, we can afford players. If we don't go up, then we can afford players with Long getting sold.'

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 13 Aug 2011 17:46

Ian Royal TBH winch, I think you've got it wrong. We aren't in the habit of spending money we don't have yet. I suspect it was remnant of Gylfi money, from the POs + FA Cup QF or a combination of both.

Fair enough. But personally I think we knew that if we didn't act quickly we'd lose Mikele, and given the way we improved last season after signing him, Brian would certainly have pushed for us to keep him.

At the time we'd have had the money, but it would have been budgeted in a way that it would at least partly be covered by the sales of Long and Mills IMO.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 13 Aug 2011 17:48

Hoop Blah
winchester_royal
Hoop Blah Isn't the discussion about what's being done with the £12m that's come in this summer?

That's all money that's come in SINCE Legiertwood signed.

Yes but Mikele would have been signed knowing that Long was going to be sold.

What difference does that make?

It was still before we had money in from Long or Mills. The club has budgets in place for all these things bit we're constantly told they won't make moved for players until the out going transfers are made and money is in place to fund the purchases.

I don't ever remember being told that by the club.

I think it makes a big difference personally. If Long and Mills had stayed we wouldn't have had the money to sign Ledge, and any critiscism of the club's transfer policy has tp take into account his signing.

RFCUK

by RFCUK » 13 Aug 2011 17:50

Sorry if posted before, but I thought this summed it up quite nicely

Ibrahima Sonko has rejected the chance to rejoin Reading, according to boss Brian McDermott.

Sonko, 30, has been training with the Berkshire club this summer after leaving Stoke. He moved to the Potters from the Madejski Stadium in 2008, having spent four years at Reading.

McDermott told the club's official website: "I thought we might be able to get something out of Sonks and I believed that would be the case."

"We made an offer he wasn't happy with.

"It's an opportunity for him, it is decent, and the money he was looking for, it wasn't ever going to happen.

"So for me, the most important thing was for him to come back, work on his game and have that opportunity but he chose not to take it and that's fine."

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Aug 2011 21:01

winchester_royal I don't ever remember being told that by the club.

I think it makes a big difference personally. If Long and Mills had stayed we wouldn't have had the money to sign Ledge, and any critiscism of the club's transfer policy has tp take into account his signing.

They've said in the past how they've had signings lined up and would only act once movements were made out of the squad etc etc. I'm not going to look for the quotes as the prudent running of the club speaks for itself.

If the statement if Long and Mills had stayed we wouldn't have had the money to sign Ledge was true wouldn't we have had to wait until they'd gone in order to afford him? Or are you saying we're in the habit of buying players we can't afford?

Personally I suspect the money for Legiertwood was put aside quite early on in his time with us. I really don't think you can include him in any discussions about improving the squad with the transfer fee's from players leaving after he's joined.

The budget will have been drawn up well in advance and adjusted depending on how much we received in. Legiertwoods signing would probably have been a definite in that budget irrespective of what happened to the likes of Long, Mills, Federici, Kebe, McAnuff, Karacan et al.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 15 Aug 2011 12:18

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 15 Aug 2011 12:49

readingbedding http://www.ibrahimasonko.com/flash.html

We just have to sign him.

:lol:

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 15 Aug 2011 14:58

Hoop Blah
winchester_royal I don't ever remember being told that by the club.

They've said in the past how they've had signings lined up and would only act once movements were made out of the squad etc etc. I'm not going to look for the quotes as the prudent running of the club speaks for itself.

If the statement if Long and Mills had stayed we wouldn't have had the money to sign Ledge was true wouldn't we have had to wait until they'd gone in order to afford him? Or are you saying we're in the habit of buying players we can't afford?

Personally I suspect the money for Legiertwood was put aside quite early on in his time with us. I really don't think you can include him in any discussions about improving the squad with the transfer fee's from players leaving after he's joined.

The budget will have been drawn up well in advance and adjusted depending on how much we received in. Legiertwoods signing would probably have been a definite in that budget irrespective of what happened to the likes of Long, Mills, Federici, Kebe, McAnuff, Karacan et al.

I must admit I had heard Ledge was signing for us when I went to the opening of the Garden of Remembrance so it was fixed long before the end of the season.

I may be wrong but this sort of situation is why I am not so worried that all the money in is not spent - as long as paying good wages for the league (as there is a correlation of success with wages more than a correlation with transfer fees) if the club keeps some money in the bank so that we can move for a player during the season makes some sense. We all think we cann see deficiences in the squad but if the transfer window closes without strengthening the defence maybe the money will be used for the wages of a loan player which is not possible if it has all been spent now.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 15 Aug 2011 15:18

Good grief. :shock:

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 15 Aug 2011 15:41

What Monster did we create? And all from singing Sonko Is Superman? And maybe all those G's he was picking up warming a bench...

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 26 Aug 2011 12:39

Sonko signs for Ipswich.

Hopefully (for them) he has returned to his 05-06 form or else they could be facing a relegation battle!

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 26 Aug 2011 13:11

I nearly cried :lol: :lol:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Aug 2011 14:32

andrew1957 Sonko signs for Ipswich.

Hopefully (for them) he has returned to his 05-06 form or else they could be facing a relegation battle!

Are Ipswich trying to recreate our 106 defence? They could pick up USA quite easily I would have thought, though Shorey seems settled at The Baggies; Murtz will be the problem for them......

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 26 Aug 2011 14:38

Mr Angry
andrew1957 Sonko signs for Ipswich.

Are Ipswich trying to recreate our 106 defence? They could pick up USA quite easily I would have thought, though Shorey seems settled at The Baggies; Murtz will be the problem for them......

Not at all, he hasnt technically retired yet... :P

Oh and before anyone says that he's been out of the game a year and may as well be retired, look at Michael Ball

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 26 Aug 2011 14:41

Ideal Murty was fantastic in the later stages of his career, makes you wonder how good he could have been if he hadn't had all those injuries.

Maldini esque
Last edited by leww_rfc on 26 Aug 2011 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 26 Aug 2011 14:59

I know you were replying to the Murty post but totp ^ that reads

Re. Sonko

Maldini esque

for the benefit of any Ipswich fans looking in - LOL

and this bears repeating,

http://www.ibrahimasonko.com/flash.html

LOL again

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 26 Aug 2011 15:00

Good point, edited :lol:

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 26 Aug 2011 15:19

Ideal Murty was fantastic in the later stages of his career, makes you wonder how good he could have been if he hadn't had all those injuries.

Possibly the most overated player of all time.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 26 Aug 2011 15:32

Ferris

Possibly the most overated player of all time.

Disagree. He was reliable, had some pace, bombed forward in support of the winger and never went missing in defence. I'd give anything for a left and right back like him.

425 posts