Jordan Rhodes

1419 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: RUMOUR: Jordan Rhodes

by Ian Royal » 15 Jul 2012 18:18

Ideal
Ian Royal Roberts, Pogrebnyak, Hunt, Le Fondre, Church, McCleary, Sheppard.

McLeary intended for left wing.
Sheppard isn't likely to be named in the 25.

That leaves Roberts, Pog, Alf, Hunt and Church.
For the sake of argument, let's assume that Brian knows Church can't hit a barndoor and that Hunt is championship level material.
That means we have Roberts, Pog and Alf. I can see why we would want to get another striker in, Roberts/Pog are similar, Alf is a finisher, so we'd want another of the Rhodes type.

Seol wasn't a striker either but we used him there when needed and McCleary can also play there by most accounts. So McCleary is an easy equivalent to Seol.

I'll assume that Brian knows what he's doing and you don't. The point of my post was that you don't need more than 4 strikers. As demonstrated by us having three + a kid and a winger last time and we still finished 8th.

What you do need, is more than 1 right back.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 15 Jul 2012 19:16

I believe Hunt if going to do OK this season. What's his record with headers, as I can remember more than with his feet... We will need that, as Alf won't chip in with many headers (will he?)

I think the 5 we have, even with one on loan will be OK for the forthcoming season!

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 15 Jul 2012 19:43

skipper I believe Hunt if going to do OK this season. What's his record with headers, as I can remember more than with his feet... We will need that, as Alf won't chip in with many headers (will he?)

I think the 5 we have, even with one on loan will be OK for the forthcoming season!

I think the Pog will be the one putting headers away.

Thinking about it, has Roberts scored a header yet?

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 15 Jul 2012 19:46

RFCSPACE
skipper I believe Hunt if going to do OK this season. What's his record with headers, as I can remember more than with his feet... We will need that, as Alf won't chip in with many headers (will he?)

I think the Pog will be the one putting headers away.

Thinking about it, has Roberts scored a header yet?

Yes, against Southampton in the 3-1 win. Roberts scored first!

Pretty sure he's done left, right and head since he's been here...

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 15 Jul 2012 20:15

And what a header it was

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Jul 2012 20:38

ALF has also scored at least one header.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 15 Jul 2012 20:40

The goal was a beaut, but i think that perfect Kebe cross was more to do with it.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 15 Jul 2012 21:09

TheSiege I believe that Jordan Rhodes may well be one of those players who will score goals whatever division he is in! The things which are being said against him now are exactly the same as those said against both Ian Wright, Jermaine Defoe and Southamptons useless striker( - what's his name?) when they were in lower leagues. If he came to us alongside a RB, I would be happy for next season.

Much can be said of Le Fondre, and I'd rather give him a chance in the first team than Rhodes.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 15 Jul 2012 21:12

Friday's Legacy
TheSiege I believe that Jordan Rhodes may well be one of those players who will score goals whatever division he is in! The things which are being said against him now are exactly the same as those said against both Ian Wright, Jermaine Defoe and Southamptons useless striker( - what's his name?) when they were in lower leagues. If he came to us alongside a RB, I would be happy for next season.

Much can be said of Le Fondre, and I'd rather give him a chance in the first team than Rhodes.

Agree with that. Not seen lots of Rhodes but watched him during the play offs and he wasn't that great, looked Championship level but not Premiership, and it'll be a lot of cash for what I'd class as a risk.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 15 Jul 2012 22:18

Apparently Hudders accepted £4.5M for Rhodes (+ Morrison) but Hoyle (their Chairman) later changed his mind.

Expect this to be a done deal midweek.

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 15 Jul 2012 22:23

grey_squirrel Apparently Hudders accepted £4.5M for Rhodes (+ Morrison) but Hoyle (their Chairman) later changed his mind.

Sauce?

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 15 Jul 2012 22:27

grey_squirrel Apparently Hudders accepted £4.5M for Rhodes (+ Morrison) but Hoyle (their Chairman) later changed his mind.

Can't see us paying that much and giving away a young talented defender...
As much as I rate Rhodes, is he really worth 5.5m+?

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 15 Jul 2012 22:29

akranes

you really need to wake up and realise we are a very different club now. this isn't the tightly ran ship it once was.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Jul 2012 23:07

TheSiege Le Fondre is undoubtedly a natural finisher. However, you guys should remember that he was a bench player even in the Champ. BMcD did not have the confidence to play him as first-choice in the Champ and, unless he has vastly improved over the Close-season, he will not be first-choice now. Furthermore, people suggesting that there is any similarity between him and Rhodes are living in HBA cuckoo-land! They are not similar players and, currently, Rhodes IS better. That may change and I see ALF staying with the squad and progressing.

Le Fondre started 17 matches and was certainly first choice for a while. He was only really given a chance paired with Church, who was pretty ineffective last season. When Roberts came in he was relegated to the bench, but the call must certainly have been close between him and Hunt who hadn't particularly impressed to that point.

Who's to say Le Fondre wouldn't have done at least as well as Hunt if he'd been given the nod to partner Roberts? Afterall, he scored six goals off the bench in the same time Hunt got 5 whilst starting and with a lot less pitch time than Noel.

The only real measure you can make between Rhodes and Le Fondre is that one is a Premier League player and one is a Championship player currently. And currently one has a record better than a goal every three games at Championship level, and one doesn't. Everything else is speculation.

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 15 Jul 2012 23:28

Would love this to happen.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Jul 2012 23:43

TheSiege Over the last 40 years, almost every striker who has scored goals at every level has ended up in the Prem - or the old first division. I mean large quantities of goals - like 40 a season. Rhodes follows a tried and trusted path and, if he continues, will be worth £40M in a few years time. Should we sign him? Readings true fans will say yes - Imbeciles will say no!

We have Le Fondre!

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 16 Jul 2012 00:20

TheSiege Over the last 40 years, almost every striker who has scored goals at every level has ended up in the Prem - or the old first division. I mean large quantities of goals - like 40 a season. Rhodes follows a tried and trusted path and, if he continues, will be worth £40M in a few years time. Should we sign him? Readings true fans will say yes - Imbeciles will say no!

Doesn't mean they will continue this at the highest level at all, Lita per chance, Simon Cox,Robbie Earnshaw etc etc etc. I think Rhodes is a good player, if we get him great if we dont theres no panic as I think Alfie has all the attributes that Rhodes has and can only be judged on playing in the prem which both have yet to do. If someone would have said that at 350,000 you would have someone who ended up as top goalscorer and scored some absolutely vital goals to gain promotion, clubs would have bitten your hand off for such value.

Elmo's Park

by Elmo's Park » 16 Jul 2012 00:46

He's too expensive for an unproven player at championship level let alone premier league. I'd be very surprised if this materialsed

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 16 Jul 2012 03:22

id love to see him here but i wouldnt pay more than 4-5m for him. either 4m+morrison or 5m flat, no more, no less.

Cypry

by Cypry » 16 Jul 2012 06:20

Cobi
akranes

you really need to wake up and realise we are a very different club now. this isn't the tightly ran ship it once was.

Where's the evidence for that?

Have we broken our transfer record yet this Summer (as many predicted)?

We've made 5 signings by my reckoning, four of which were freebies.....I'd say it's very much business as usual....

1419 posts