redknapp tax evasion - trial begins january

226 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: redknapp tax evasion - trial begins january

by Hoop Blah » 02 Feb 2012 14:24

If there's no limit then I might ask my boss to just start paying me in gifts as well!

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 02 Feb 2012 15:29

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
facaldaqui Sorry to go against the flow of this thread, but it seems to me that although it is obvious that Mandaric and Redknapp are totally bent in this matter, they should be found not guilty (on the evidence so far). The only evidence that the money is other than a gift from Mandaric is in the tape between Redknapp and the journalist; but Redknapp is saying he lied on the tape. Unless that tape is taken as conclusive, there's no way it can be proved that the money in the Monaco account was an undeclared work-related payment to Redknapp, as opposed to a tax-free gift.

The tax-free limit on gifts is £3000, I believe.

Not in Monaco.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Feb 2012 18:26

That's so transparent you could walk through it!

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 02 Feb 2012 18:38

facaldaqui By the way, is it normal in football for managers to get cuts of sell-on transfer fees for players they bought? Coppell would have made a fortune if that were done at Reading. It is a practice fraught with problems, as it could lead to spurious wheeling and dealing by managers out to make a buck. Harry certainly seems to buy and sell compulsively; and it strikes me that this could be said of his signings in the present window. Does he have an agreement at Spurs that gives him a cut of profit on players he buys and sells?

I think that Holloway had a similar agreement at Blackpool.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 02 Feb 2012 21:58

Does help explain why he was such a wheeler dealer at pompey...talk about a conflict of interests!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Feb 2012 22:40

he'll get off....it's all rather depressing, football appears to operate without any business or moral constraint.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 03 Feb 2012 09:15

leon he'll get off....it's all rather depressing, football appears to operate without any business or moral constraint.

But he's not dealing with football now - he's dealing with the law, in the real world.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Feb 2012 09:36

His scatter gun approach to his defence and his aggresive attitude in Court isn't going to go down well, and he really is struggling imho to properly answer the charges laid. However, his empassioned "Would I lie on the Bible?" defence is truly original and, if I may say, inspirational............

:roll:

Saying - as he is now - that the money was a "gift" (after firstly denying all knowledge of the account, or any knowledge of any money deposited into the account) sounds like someone simply making up excuses for his actions and trying not to face up to the reality that he has been on the fiddle for decades, didn't believe he would ever get caught, and having now been caught, is behaving like a child when confronted by an adult with a mis-deed.

Anything other than a guilty charge would be a travesty.

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 03 Feb 2012 10:25

Mr Angry His scatter gun approach to his defence and his aggresive attitude in Court isn't going to go down well, and he really is struggling imho to properly answer the charges laid. However, his empassioned "Would I lie on the Bible?" defence is truly original and, if I may say, inspirational............

:roll:

Saying - as he is now - that the money was a "gift" (after firstly denying all knowledge of the account, or any knowledge of any money deposited into the account) sounds like someone simply making up excuses for his actions and trying not to face up to the reality that he has been on the fiddle for decades, didn't believe he would ever get caught, and having now been caught, is behaving like a child when confronted by an adult with a mis-deed.

Anything other than a guilty charge would be a travesty.

Does the jury go out today?

Biggest laugh for me so far:

'arry: I am the most ungreedy bloke you will meet EVA. EVA.
Mandaric: 'arry got in a right strop and was not an 'appy bunny when told he would only get 5% bonus, not 10% as he thought he morally deserved...so disorganised and messy- yet knew exactly what he should get.

The guy is a liar and a charlatan.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 03 Feb 2012 11:28

yeah if only he hadn't actually paid a load of tax eh

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Feb 2012 11:46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJBsI7RAuvk

At least he's not been accused of being a wheeler dealer!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Feb 2012 12:23

Mr Angry ...he has been on the fiddle for decades....

And it has been common knowledge for ages and ages. (True or not) I was first told about 15 years ago that he was the biggest brown envelope merchant in the game and he wasn't even considered a top manager at that time.

(I am told that) Kevin Bond has followed him around / been taken with Redknapp for a very good reason.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Feb 2012 12:40

exileinleeds
Does the jury go out today?

Tuesday apparantly.

Spurs play Liverpool at Anfield on the Monday night, and as the Court day finishes at 4.30pm, he is going to struggle to get up there on time without the use of a private jet.

I'm sure the accused using a private jet will be something that will really go down well with a jury the evening before they retire to consider their verdict........

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 03 Feb 2012 12:44

Mr Angry His scatter gun approach to his defence and his aggresive attitude in Court isn't going to go down well, and he really is struggling imho to properly answer the charges laid. However, his empassioned "Would I lie on the Bible?" defence is truly original and, if I may say, inspirational............

He is a regular churchgoer, just every 4 years...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ankie.html

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Feb 2012 14:44

He doesn't seem to realise that admitting in Court that you lied to someone (as he said he did when asked by a NoTW reporter as to the source of the money in the Monaco account) simply proves to the Court that you are a liar, and therefore EVERYTHING else that you say has to be viewed in that light.

Presumably, his defence team told him to say that as that was the ONLY defence he could possibly offer up having been taped saying that the money was a bonus for the Crouch transfer......

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 03 Feb 2012 14:59

Mr Angry He doesn't seem to realise that admitting in Court that you lied to someone (as he said he did when asked by a NoTW reporter as to the source of the money in the Monaco account) simply proves to the Court that you are a liar, and therefore EVERYTHING else that you say has to be viewed in that light.

Presumably, his defence team told him to say that as that was the ONLY defence he could possibly offer up having been taped saying that the money was a bonus for the Crouch transfer......

What about the players that follow 'Arry around?

No sweeteners for them?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 03 Feb 2012 15:04

'Arry is one person who was presumably happy with the hacking scandal, I mean who wouldn't lie to a horrible dirty News of the World journalist?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 03 Feb 2012 15:08

Silver Fox 'Arry is one person who was presumably happy with the hacking scandal, I mean who wouldn't lie to a horrible dirty News of the World journalist?

At least he hasn't got a (presumably) lucrative column in a News International paper

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 03 Feb 2012 17:13

Uke
Silver Fox 'Arry is one person who was presumably happy with the hacking scandal, I mean who wouldn't lie to a horrible dirty News of the World journalist?

At least he hasn't got a (presumably) lucrative column in a News International paper

Didn't stop the police from tipping off The Sun to send photographers to the arrest/house search.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Feb 2012 23:31

he won't get sent down

226 posts