England vs Holland

302 posts
YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

Re: England vs Holland

by YateleyRoyal » 23 Feb 2012 13:03

Handsome Man
Silver Fox That squad pretty much proves my point that England don't need a manager, it picks itself bar a couple who prolly won't play in a tournament anyway. Why is Rooney in it when he's banned for the first 2 games of the euros?

Good to see no sign of Fwank mind you

Tough job surely?

The next manager has to decide when to end the careers of Terry, Lampard, Gerrard and Cole.

You already assuming that Rio's career is over?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Feb 2012 13:06

Mr Angry As for the Euro's, if England and the FA had any sense, they would be treating the tournament as a stepping stone to Brazil 2014; get tournament experience for younger players who are likely to figure in a couple of Years rather than rely on the "Golden Generation" again in order to try and chase short term glory.

I think there's a good argument for treating the Euro's as a learning experience but, and it's a massive but, to win in Brazil is going to be even more of a challenge and more unlikely so you're almost wasting 4 years and two major tournaments.

I do think a more youthful squad is need though, but they do have to have the experienced players who've been through it all to learn off and lead the way a bit.

As for the squad. No major surprises really, apart from Campbell being included. I think there'd been comment that Oxlade-Chamberlain would stay with the u21s for this match though.

It's a bit top heavy with right backs though. As much as I think Richards was hard done by for the last 12 months or so, and Johnson's been playing quite well of late, I don't think you can justify those two and Walker in one squad, especially when Jones and Smalling have played there a fair bit too.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 23 Feb 2012 14:16

How does Scott Carson get in there ahead of David Stockdale, Frank Fielding and Alex McCarthy?

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 23 Feb 2012 14:23

by not playing for shit-kicking clubs in the Championship

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 23 Feb 2012 14:26

Wax Jacket by not playing for shit-kicking clubs in the Championship

But by playing for a club in Turkey after ruining his career in this country. Nice to see us moving forward.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 23 Feb 2012 14:48

we won't be regretting it when we have to get a draw in Turkey and Carson has to save a penalty in the dying minutes. excellent forward planning.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 23 Feb 2012 15:00

cmonurz ^This, was pleased to hear Pearce would be 'experimenting'

You could have done with a no homo there.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 23 Feb 2012 15:23

YateleyRoyal
Stuka Anyone going? I have day off following day so thought I'd go along.

Thinking about it m9. Where would you be heading from?

Yeah Holloway, N.London. I usually drink at the Greyhound on Harrow Road

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 23 Feb 2012 16:36

LoyalRoyalFan How does Scott Carson get in there ahead of David Stockdale, Frank Fielding and Alex McCarthy?

More importantly, how does he get there over John Ruddy, an Englishman playing week in, week out, for a Premier League team performing well.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 23 Feb 2012 16:38

Does it really matter - Hart will be number 1

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Feb 2012 12:16

There's obviously been a few withdrawls from the squad now but I still think this is a great opportunity for a few players to show their worth to any prospective managers (Harry) and for some of the old guard to prove they've still got something to offer (not sure Harry will need much convincing on that part unfortunately). I like Pearce's sentiment of wanting to use this game to try and learn things on behalf of who ever leads us in the Euro's as well.

I think from the squad he's left with at the moment I'd go for something like

------------------Carson----------------
---Richards---Jones---Cahill---Cole---
-----------Parker-----Barry-----------
Johnson---------Gerrard----------Young
----------------Sturridge--------------

I'd be looking to get Young a good half hour or so behind the forwad in the second half (Welbeck I'd assume) to see how he looks as Rooney's replacement. Baines, Welbeck, Milner and Downing for decent run outs too as they're players that still have something to play for.

hellopremiership

by hellopremiership » 28 Feb 2012 12:47

Simon's Church
6ft Kerplunk
YateleyRoyal but a mild surprise that there's no Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Don't think its a bad thing that he's in the U21s where he'll get a full game. Actually who's taking charge of the U21s if Pearce is doing the seniors?

The U20s coach, Brian Eastick.

Who's taking charge of the U20s if Eastick is doing the U21s?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 28 Feb 2012 13:06

Can't believe Downing got in the squad. He's woeful. I suppose it's the old thing of, there aren't too many ok(ish) English left sided wingers.

His pass completion r8 for England is 21% :oops:

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 28 Feb 2012 13:08

No Fixed Abode Can't believe Downing got in the squad. He's woeful. I suppose it's the old thing of, there aren't too many ok(ish) English left sided wingers.

MoTM in the final of the world's premier knockout competition the other day.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Feb 2012 13:30

No Fixed Abode Can't believe Downing got in the squad. He's woeful. I suppose it's the old thing of, there aren't too many ok(ish) English left sided wingers.

To be fair to him (and I'm not a big fan) he was very good for Villa last season and that's what's got him into the England setup. His club form since has been pretty poor yes, but for England he's done ok and he's the most natural left winger we've got at the moment (Adam Johnson seems more comfortable on the right).

I don't like the current fad of playing wingers on the wrong side and think it's effecting the form of people like Downing (who's too one-footed to be that effective on the right IMO) and to a much lesser extent Young and Johnson who both have more to their game to counter being on the wrong side of the pitch.

I know there's always a clamour to play the flavour of the month and for the manager to pick 'in form players' but they also need continuity to build a pattern of play and a squad spirit, but also a manager needs to stick by players that have done well for him (relatively so at least) in the past if he wants players 'play for him' when the chips are down.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 29 Feb 2012 10:53

Parker chosen as skipper; Stevie G will be disappointed no doubt!

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 29 Feb 2012 11:02

Mr Angry Parker chosen as skipper; Stevie G will be disappointed no doubt!

Good choice!

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 29 Feb 2012 11:05

:shock:

Source?

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 29 Feb 2012 11:08

cmonurz

:shock:

Source?

Unreliable/made up.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 29 Feb 2012 11:14

Hoop Blah To be fair to him (and I'm not a big fan) he was very good for Villa last season and that's what's got him into the England setup. His club form since has been pretty poor yes, but for England he's done ok and he's the most natural left winger we've got at the moment (Adam Johnson seems more comfortable on the right).

I don't like the current fad of playing wingers on the wrong side and think it's effecting the form of people like Downing (who's too one-footed to be that effective on the right IMO) and to a much lesser extent Young and Johnson who both have more to their game to counter being on the wrong side of the pitch.

Agree with this, was never Downing’s biggest fan but he had a good year for Villa in 10/11, although he has only sporadically shown that form for Liverpool and England – but he’s our best genuine left winger, and I’d sooner we go with that than revert to Joe Cole syndrome and see an endless stream of right-footers cutting in off the left flank to play a cross in.

Re the post about planning for 2014 – also agree with this, Germany weren’t afraid to do it, and their young squad actually over-performed. We need to take the shackles off, never mind safety first, and give the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain tournament experience, give Richards a run in the side, Smalling and Jones maybe too. In the past I’ve advocated keeping an experienced spine to the team, but imho the quality of our younger players is as high as it has been in 10 years, I don’t think for example that Smalling and Jones at the back is that much worse than Terry and Rio, if at all on top form.

302 posts