Jack Wilshere

162 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Jack Wilshere

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Oct 2013 17:15

jd82 VM - you appear to be insistent that smoking will have no effect on his performance, which is utter nonsence.

It is entirely possible for him to be a smoker and still be a top level pro, but to say his performances wouldn't be affected is laughable.

Smoking reduces VO2 Max, which in turn reduces the capacity for exercise before lactate threshold is reached.

There is theory and there is practice.
As earlier posters have said it didn't seem to affect two of the greatest players ever in Zidane and Cruyff.
Don't get me wrong, I gave up smoking at 25 and it is one of the best things I ever did but my view is that it is more likely to affect him later on and not now.

My dad was one of the fittest people around in his 20s but the effect of 40 per day plus a pipe did him no favours and he died of lung cancer at 62.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 07 Oct 2013 17:48

jd82 VM - you appear to be insistent that smoking will have no effect on his performance, which is utter nonsence.

It is entirely possible for him to be a smoker and still be a top level pro, but to say his performances wouldn't be affected is laughable.

Smoking reduces VO2 Max, which in turn reduces the capacity for exercise before lactate threshold is reached.

This. Over and over again.

is the rough image I've got from the posts on this thread.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Oct 2013 21:41

Not many things have astonished me more than the apparently serious assertion that smoking 40 a day won't affect a footballer's performance.

Utterly utterly bizarre.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 08 Oct 2013 01:36

Royal Rother Not many things have astonished me more than the apparently serious assertion that smoking 40 a day won't affect a footballer's performance.

Utterly utterly bizarre.

But what if their current performance is on 40 a day but smoking none meant they became even better?!

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 08 Oct 2013 08:57

Royal Rother Not many things have astonished me more than the apparently serious assertion that smoking 40 a day won't affect a footballer's performance.

Utterly utterly bizarre.

Especially as it is a stimulant as we'll, so in no way helps to calm nerves or adrenaline levels. I know an ex professional badminton player and he and other colleagues smoked a fair bit during their careers. It's a mental thing I guess, your body is such a highly tuned machine that doing something ''wrong" to it is seen as a bit of an escape from the constant health regime. Looks cool as oxf*rd as well

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Oct 2013 09:51

Utterly utterly bizarre.

More astonishing for me is that Jack Wilshire being snapped having a single tab outside some club means that he smokes 40 a day

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Oct 2013 17:17

Victor Meldrew

There is theory and there is practice.

:lol: :lol: and one more :lol:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Oct 2013 17:24

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Oct 2013 16:30

... and now we know that Wilshire is a closet racist.

According him 'Living in England for 5 years doesn't make you English'

Well, Jack, according to the Border Agency, if you apply correctly that's exactly what it does make you (well, British anyway).

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Oct 2013 16:56

So just how does that make him racist?

Are all the people on this very board who don't think that Kevin Pietersen (and all the others) should play cricket for England racist?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Oct 2013 17:22

Royal Rother So just how does that make him racist?

Agreed.

Brilliant to see a footballer come out with some actual opinion for once rather than platitudes, and one that I heartily agree with. May just as well dismiss international sporting competition if you are somehow able to 'transfer' your national identity. And of course - as ever - the nations which will benefit from such porous rulings are the stronger nations. Because our Premier League is richer and more powerful than other competitions we can cream off the best of foreign talent to play for our own (useless) national side. Hurrah!

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 09 Oct 2013 17:48

I hate this little weasel more than Ashley Cole **

** in fact I don't really hate cole that much - but JW is just a complete wet blanket tosser.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Oct 2013 18:48

floyd__streete

Agreed.

Brilliant to see a footballer come out with some actual opinion for once rather than platitudes, and one that I heartily agree with. May just as well dismiss international sporting competition if you are somehow able to 'transfer' your national identity. And of course - as ever - the nations which will benefit from such porous rulings are the stronger nations. Because our Premier League is richer and more powerful than other competitions we can cream off the best of foreign talent to play for our own (useless) national side. Hurrah!

Worked for the Germans. I say gopher it.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 09 Oct 2013 19:25

Little Jack has a point. Januzaj has no reason to play for England. He has been here a few years playing for Man Utd but that is it. I have no problem with KP playing cricket for England. His mother is English and he has family ties here. Equally Mo Farah has loads of ties here. Lets be honest if Januzaj turns out to be the new Macheda, no one will give a shit in 6 months.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Oct 2013 19:26

bobby1413 I hate this little weasel more than Ashley Cole **

** in fact I don't really hate cole that much - but JW is just a complete wet blanket tosser.

Why? What's he done now?

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 09 Oct 2013 19:32

floyd__streete

Agreed.

I'd actually quite like to see a comp where all the top leagues field a squad

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Oct 2013 19:49

When we next lift the WC, the team photo will be in colour this time

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 10 Oct 2013 21:06

creative_username_1
floyd__streete

Agreed.

I'd actually quite like to see a comp where all the top leagues field a squad

So would I

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 10 Oct 2013 22:06

To play for England or any of the Home Nations you currently need to have at least one Grandparent born in the nation. I don't see why we can't continue with this policy. Yeah our national team has become a damp squib but that's no excuse to fiddle with the gentleman's agreement and I don't care what Qatar or Croatia does.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 11 Oct 2013 22:18

Are all the people on this very board who don't think that Kevin Pietersen (and all the others) should play cricket for England racist?

It may not be a racist viewpoint, but like the recent advert that fell foul of the ASA on a technicality that told black people to go back home, he is saying what racist people say.

162 posts