The "i'm not interested" international friendlies thread

471 posts
Whatevs

Re: The "i'm not interested" international friendlies thread

by Whatevs » 11 Jun 2014 12:29

Is Lallana a little over8d? Can't make my mind up about him. He's done alright at a mid-table team but that's hardly enough to win the world cup

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 11 Jun 2014 12:34

Grosso had only played for Perugia and Palermo when he won the world cup. I'm sure there are many, many more examples.

The right player in the right area doing the right things is far better than having a world class square peg in a circular hole.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 11 Jun 2014 12:35

Whatevs Is Lallana a little over8d? Can't make my mind up about him. He's done alright at a mid-table team but that's hardly enough to win the world cup

Thing is, he's unknown so may surprise a few teams....he's eager and tbf he can put a decent ball in, so i wouldn't say overr8ted - we just don't have better.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 11 Jun 2014 12:35

FWIW, I don't know if Lallana is that right player.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 11 Jun 2014 12:49

Whatevs Is Lallana a little over8d? Can't make my mind up about him. He's done alright at a mid-table team but that's hardly enough to win the world cup

We have 23 players who fall under that banner!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jun 2014 18:14

Vision
Ian Royal
Mr Angry I'd agree that the earlier substitutions had a positive effect(as did Honduras going down to 10 men for the last 30 minutes) I just don't see how you can say that Lampard's inclusion for the last 7 minutes of the game, as fatigue, time wasting and a general air of "let's pack up and get off to Brazil" contributed to that improvement in anything other than a marginal way - if at all.

I disagree when someone posted that he shouldn't be in the squad - his experience in the changing room and off the field regardless of any contributions he does make on the pitch will be a major help to the squad for the time we are out there, and let's face it, if needed, he can (usually!) take a pretty good penalty!

Yeah, he and Gerrard are worth taking because you know what you'll reliably get. Gerrard might work anchoring the team, better than Lampard for sure and we've got far better and younger options for the more busy and advanced roles.

If the likes of Lallana, Barkley, Wilshire, Stirling & Henderson don't all get at least one meaty appearance each it'll be an absolute travesty.

Lampard is still the most acomplished finisher in the squad and with his experience and temperament is still worth his place within it.

Gerrard is still our best bet in midfield for changing the point of an attack and to pick out a telling pass. People focus too much on the odd occasion he gives it away as if all other players don't do it. His pass completion is better than most despite being more adventureous than most. I'm not sure how capable he is for playing 3 full 90 minutes back to back mind and I'm not sure he actually will.

As maligned as they are both Lampard and Gerrard are worth their places in the squad and team respectively.

Glad to see we're in agreement

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Jun 2014 19:15

Yep. Future England squads should only be selected from clubs finishing in the Top 4 of the previous season's PL.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 11 Jun 2014 19:35

Royal Rother

Yep. Future England squads should only be selected from clubs finishing in the Top 4 of the previous season's PL.

And how many English players would that represent? 8? 9? Lallana is a good player and is two footed which makes a pleasant change.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Jun 2014 19:45

Ah man, I wasn't being serious!

Mind you, Top 4 would eliminate Rooney so not all bad.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Jun 2014 19:48

He's our best player doncha no?

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 11 Jun 2014 19:56

Genuine question RR? I'd prolly start with him and Sterling because i'm as sick and tired as the same ol'shite as the next man. Just not sure
whether i'm falling for the hype or not. Rooney also has got to earn his place. I'd start him but if he's not doing it by 60 mins, haul him off
and replace with Barkley.

Mid table reference - not competed against more elite players so no real 'evidence' to evaluate him.

471 posts