Jimmy Kebe

830 posts
tilehurstender

Re: Jimmy Kebe

by tilehurstender » 01 Sep 2013 16:50

Don't understand what all the fuss is about? Kebe was good on his day but these "days" had stopped happening. Kebe was a luxury player who I think will be left warming the bench at Palace. He'd already shown his hand when he wanted to leave before Anton took over, no concrete bids came in so he was happy to stay for a few extra quid.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 01 Sep 2013 16:53

I'd love to know how fans can suggest that his best days stopped happening :|

His penultimate game at the Madejski was scoring two against Sunderland to earn us our last win at home in the Premier League.

Yeah he's been injured since and may well have pulled a sickie in the last few weeks but I don't see how people can write him off performance wise without seeing him play. He could come back and be awful but I'd suggest there's a good chance he comes back and plays well.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Sep 2013 17:04

Wimb - do you know how many games has Kebe played for us since Jan 2012 by any chance? I'd wager it's quite low.

We didn't have him for the title run in at all & he was again injured for a huge chunk of last season. It's a shame to say it but we probably have sold at the right time. I think he is too injury prone & he has done bloody well to get a 3 yr deal at Palace IMO.

That said I am sad to see him go but the club has to evolve & Brian being booted out has clearly irked him to the point where he refused to play. Reading between the lines Adkins definitely hinted that Kebe could have been feigning injury last season too, which quite honestly wouldn't surprise me if true.

I have to say though the manner in which he has left given that he was a fans favourite is, IMO a bit cnutish & for that I am quite disappointed in him.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 01 Sep 2013 17:05

For me, Kebe's time at the club had run it's coarse and probably the right time for him to move on. Whatever the real circumstances behind the scenes, I am sure we will never know the real truth so I prefer to remember him for the great moments and wish him well for the future

On his day he was a world beater and a joy to watch, but his day was not that often, otherwise he would have been at a bigger club for a some time by now. At 29 years old it was a good time for us to sell in terms of value and represents a nice little pay day for him and another crack at the Premiership.

I am fairly certain he will be back in Palarse shirt at the Mad Stad next season and would hope he gets a decent reception for what he contributed to the club.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Sep 2013 17:07

And this sorry saga also shows just how lucky we are to have Jobi.

I would be proper devastated if Jobi left & I hope that this back injury is indeed genuine.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Sep 2013 17:08

RL, why should Adkins have to lie or hide the truth to cover up for a want-away player who, it could be implied, he thinks hasn't given his all since he joined the club?

It was Kebe who went to the media and made his non-appearance on Tuesday newsworthy, I don't see why Adkins has to cover it up for him.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Sep 2013 17:29

Maybe not Hoop Blah - I just feel a manager should be able to deal with this stuff "in-house" as it were. I don't like to hear these stories out in the open and yet when Dellor asks about team selection or whatever, Adkins says he doesn't have to explain himself. Can't have it both ways, as I see it. He must have known there was a very good chance Kebe would be off before end of transfer window, so why not just deal with it privately, if there was anything to deal with, rather than saying this stuff to the press - for all that Kebe "may" have been throwing a sickie or whatever, he's been a fantastic player for us and it's sad that his departure has been tainted like this. These are, of course, my own personal thoughts, you can agree or disagree, I'm not really concerned - I am concerned when I say something as above and a fellow supporter thinks it's ok to swear and belittle me for my thoughts/opinions.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 01 Sep 2013 17:34

Royal Lady Maybe not Hoop Blah - I just feel a manager should be able to deal with this stuff "in-house" as it were. I don't like to hear these stories out in the open and yet when Dellor asks about team selection or whatever, Adkins says he doesn't have to explain himself. Can't have it both ways, as I see it. He must have known there was a very good chance Kebe would be off before end of transfer window, so why not just deal with it privately, if there was anything to deal with, rather than saying this stuff to the press - for all that Kebe "may" have been throwing a sickie or whatever, he's been a fantastic player for us and it's sad that his departure has been tainted like this. These are, of course, my own personal thoughts, you can agree or disagree, I'm not really concerned - I am concerned when I say something as above and a fellow supporter thinks it's ok to swear and belittle me for my thoughts/opinions.

+1

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 01 Sep 2013 18:05

oxf*rd it. Jimmy's gone.

He does what e wants. He wanted away. It's a shame, it really is but as we all know if you don't want to go into work you won't enjoy it.

Good luck Jimmy, thanks for some of the memories.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 01 Sep 2013 18:20

Royal Lady Maybe not Hoop Blah - I just feel a manager should be able to deal with this stuff "in-house" as it were. I don't like to hear these stories out in the open and yet when Dellor asks about team selection or whatever, Adkins says he doesn't have to explain himself. Can't have it both ways, as I see it. He must have known there was a very good chance Kebe would be off before end of transfer window, so why not just deal with it privately, if there was anything to deal with, rather than saying this stuff to the press - for all that Kebe "may" have been throwing a sickie or whatever, he's been a fantastic player for us and it's sad that his departure has been tainted like this. These are, of course, my own personal thoughts, you can agree or disagree, I'm not really concerned - I am concerned when I say something as above and a fellow supporter thinks it's ok to swear and belittle me for my thoughts/opinions.

Something here doesn't strike me quite right RL. Adkins did say in the days leading up to the P'boro game that Kebe was fit and would be playing. I don't know how much he "knew" at the time about the impending transfer, if it was impending. It could have been and Jimmy might have gone behind NA's back, or over his head, and asked for it directly with NH. But Kebe not playing in the game after NA saying he would justified the press questioning Adkins about it...

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 01 Sep 2013 18:25

MmmMonsterMunch Wimb - do you know how many games has Kebe played for us since Jan 2012 by any chance? I'd wager it's quite low.

We didn't have him for the title run in at all & he was again injured for a huge chunk of last season. It's a shame to say it but we probably have sold at the right time. I think he is too injury prone & he has done bloody well to get a 3 yr deal at Palace IMO.

That said I am sad to see him go but the club has to evolve & Brian being booted out has clearly irked him to the point where he refused to play. Reading between the lines Adkins definitely hinted that Kebe could have been feigning injury last season too, which quite honestly wouldn't surprise me if true.

I have to say though the manner in which he has left given that he was a fans favourite is, IMO a bit cnutish & for that I am quite disappointed in him.

Obviously do not remember Saints away, where he got 2 assists :roll:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Sep 2013 18:26

Perhaps he thought the fans deserved to know?

Perhaps he thought the committed players in his squared needed to see and hear him standing up to Kebe in this way.

Defending his team selections is a little bit different because its challenging his decision and, in order to answer it properly, he'd have to be critical or negative a out one or some of his players.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Sep 2013 18:46

Libertine

Something here doesn't strike me quite right RL. Adkins did say in the days leading up to the P'boro game that Kebe was fit and would be playing. I don't know how much he "knew" at the time about the impending transfer, if it was impending. It could have been and Jimmy might have gone behind NA's back, or over his head, and asked for it directly with NH. But Kebe not playing in the game after NA saying he would justified the press questioning Adkins about it...
and thats the

+1 contribution from me.

Whether Adkins knew on the evening of the Peterboro game or not.....who knows?

Adkins wanted JK to play, JK was, at that time, a Reading employee, JK didn't want/refuse to play.....where else could NA go with it when questioned?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 01 Sep 2013 18:54

Well, on his day one of the most exciting players to wear the hoops. Sadly, on an off day he resembled Bambi on Ice. Good luck Jimmy and I hope you enjoy one more season in the Prem.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Sep 2013 19:06

AthleticoSpizz
Libertine

and thats the

+1 contribution from me.

Whether Adkins knew on the evening of the Peterboro game or not.....who knows?

Adkins wanted JK to play, JK was, at that time, a Reading employee, JK didn't want/refuse to play.....where else could NA go with it when questioned?

+1

RL also seems to be overlooking the fact that Kebe started off all the BBCRB/public interest in the first place by breaking his usual media silence and ringing them live on air on the Saturday to claim that he had been fully fit for two weeks but nasty Mr Adkins wasn't prepared to let him walk straight back into the team!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Sep 2013 19:07

Terminal Boardom Well, on his day one of the most exciting players to wear the hoops. Sadly, on an off day he resembled Bambi on Ice. Good luck Jimmy and I hope you enjoy one more season in the Prem.

Well at least his usual half season!

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 01 Sep 2013 19:11

RoyalBlue
Terminal Boardom Well, on his day one of the most exciting players to wear the hoops. Sadly, on an off day he resembled Bambi on Ice. Good luck Jimmy and I hope you enjoy one more season in the Prem.

Well at least his usual half season!

good to know that you have looked at his appearance statistics for the last few seasons :roll:

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 01 Sep 2013 19:25

Anyone got confirmation of the fee? If its £750k Hammond has had a shocker!!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Sep 2013 19:30

Probably just happy to get rid of his private healthcare premiums.

ItsAdzy

by ItsAdzy » 01 Sep 2013 20:00

loyalroyal4life Anyone got confirmation of the fee? If its £750k Hammond has had a shocker!!

I saw £2m-ish on palace boards.

830 posts