Sin-bins to be discussed

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Sin-bins to be discussed

by TBM » 13 Jan 2014 17:21

Good idea?

One law i reckon should be changed is the straight red for a penalty when a goal is scored from the resulting spot kick. Sin bins could solve this:

- If the penalty is scored then the player serves a sin-bin, if the penalty is missed the red stands

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sin-bins to be discussed

by 3 veesinarow » 13 Jan 2014 17:35

Wouldn't be long before the first deliberate miss...a goal is a goal, but SOMEONE will decide if they get a pen after five minutes that its worth playing against 10 men for 85 minutes. Don't get me wrong, though, worth exploring.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 Jan 2014 20:23

Immediate dissent to referee or swearing you see... Sin bin or free kick on edge of box

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Jan 2014 21:39

3 veesinarow Wouldn't be long before the first deliberate miss...a goal is a goal, but SOMEONE will decide if they get a pen after five minutes that its worth playing against 10 men for 85 minutes. Don't get me wrong, though, worth exploring.

Have to remember that this is already on players' minds, see Oscar's giving up a certain goal to try to get the keeper sent off.

I think the idea of a sin bin for some yellow card offences is a good one. Sin bin should be for gamesmanship - diving, exaggerating fouls or injuries, time wasting etc.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 14 Jan 2014 00:12

3 veesinarow Wouldn't be long before the first deliberate miss...a goal is a goal, but SOMEONE will decide if they get a pen after five minutes that its worth playing against 10 men for 85 minutes. Don't get me wrong, though, worth exploring.

If they decide to give up the chance to score then so be it. Don't see a problem with what you're saying tbh

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 14 Jan 2014 09:46

TBM

If they decide to give up the chance to score then so be it. Don't see a problem with what you're saying tbh

:|

You don't think that cheapens the game a bucketload?

Scoring goals is the very point of it.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 14 Jan 2014 11:04

Sanguine
TBM

:|

You don't think that cheapens the game a bucketload?

Scoring goals is the very point of it.

But as you said Oscar did this the other week - he gave up the chance to score (at 0-0) to get the keeper sent off

As it stands, if someone gets sent off after 5mins - not only do they have to play 85mins with 10 men, they are most likely to be 1 goal down too....

I just feel a red card for a "goal scoring opportunity" is a tad harsh as you don't know if they would score or not (ala Torres v Utd). This is where a sin-bin could come in handy

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 14 Jan 2014 11:29

TBM Good idea?

One law i reckon should be changed is the straight red for a penalty when a goal is scored from the resulting spot kick. Sin bins could solve this:

- If the penalty is scored then the player serves a sin-bin, if the penalty is missed the red stands

I don't understand the people who go "oh, but they've been punished twice". I really don't.

It's a freekick, in a specific position, and then there's the punishment on the player for his actions.

1 yard out of the box and there's no fuss. Genuine :| stuff tbh.

WRT dissent or swearing to ref - yellow. No fuss. Like a dog having its nose rubbed in its own shit, the players will soon learn. Throw in the captain rule that gets bandied about - only the captains can directly address the ref.

WRT gamesmanship stuff - I'd have a panel of a few ex-refs and respected ex-players and managers to review such incidents and hand out one match bans after the event, with them having to justify their decision. Bans doubled for failed and/or frivolous appeals. Allow managers one opportunity to suggest an event from the game, but the rest comes from the panels own decisions (and, yes, what is in the news) and make it a bit transparent about the decisions made.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 14 Jan 2014 11:52

stealthpapes
TBM Good idea?

I don't understand the people who go "oh, but they've been punished twice". I really don't.

It's a freekick, in a specific position, and then there's the punishment on the player for his actions.

1 yard out of the box and there's no fuss. Genuine :| stuff tbh.

Cos a free kick 1 yard outside the box will have 8+ players stood in front of the taker, a penalty is just 1 player against the keeper....

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 14 Jan 2014 11:53

But they're still being punished twice, the little dears.

It's an absolute nonsense.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 14 Jan 2014 11:55

A no from me. The current system works perfectly and doesn't need to be changed.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 14 Jan 2014 11:59

stealthpapes But they're still being punished twice, the little dears.

Why should someone get sent off though, for fouling a player inside the box when the same foul on the half way line would go unpunished. You don't know that the player was going to score if he wasn't fouled so how can you send the defender off for the foul?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 14 Jan 2014 12:16

TBM

Why should someone get sent off though, for fouling a player inside the box when the same foul on the half way line would go unpunished. You don't know that the player was going to score if he wasn't fouled so how can you send the defender off for the foul?

Because if you don't have such a punishment for professional fouls, then you'll see a million-fold increase in cynical fouls when players go through on goal.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 14 Jan 2014 12:22

Sanguine
TBM

Because if you don't have such a punishment for professional fouls, then you'll see a million-fold increase in cynical fouls when players go through on goal.

Hence the sin-bin suggestion.

If the player scores the penalty then they got the goal they might have scored if they weren't fouled and the punishment for the defender is 15mins on the sideline.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 14 Jan 2014 12:32

TBM

The foul at the halfway line is punished, though, isn't it.

With a freekick and appropriate punishment for the player.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 14 Jan 2014 12:33

Sanguine
TBM

... which was the status quo ante.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 14 Jan 2014 12:37

stealthpapes
TBM

The foul at the halfway line is punished, though, isn't it.

With a freekick and appropriate punishment for the player.

I doubt the ref would send someone off for the same foul on the half way line.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 14 Jan 2014 12:42

If it denies a clear goal scoring opportunity, he would.

Keeper caught up for a corner, player breaks and is scythed down. Yeah, I can see that being a red. Give me enough time on youtube and I'll find you an example.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 14 Jan 2014 12:45

stealthpapes If it denies a clear goal scoring opportunity, he would.

Keeper caught up for a corner, player breaks and is scythed down. Yeah, I can see that being a red. Give me enough time on youtube and I'll find you an example.

I just think a penalty is enough, why should the defender also get a red card if the foul is not serious enough to warrant one. Having the penalty is still giving the attacking team the chance to score this "goal scoring opportunity" - sin bin the defender as punishment and then you don't ruin the game by making it a boring 10v11.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 14 Jan 2014 13:09

... because its not just for commiting a foul in the penalty area, its for doing so to stop the other person having a clear/obvious goal scoring chance.

I do think they over-punish, so that all fouls in the penalty area get 'uprated' but that's different to the little dears being punished twice.