England Football. Yes or No

dan19

England Football. Yes or No

by dan19 » 08 Sep 2014 21:50

"Unfortunately" I'm an avid England fan, before marriage, I was a regular at Wembley, saw most qualifiers, and been to 4 away games (unfortunately I had to have some "time out" from away games)
Sometimes I compare watching England to watching Reading, better on paper.
The current team are young, and personally I see this as a development squad.
A great deal of people can't stand watching England, or are bandwagon jumpers (much like when Reading reach the prem) so when OR if England do well/win something who of you are bandwagon jumpers/couldn't give a shhhihit/England through.and through?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: England Football. Yes or No

by Royal Ginger » 08 Sep 2014 21:54

dan19 (unfortunately I had to have some "time out" from away games)

Who did you throw plastic furniture at?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Sep 2014 22:09

Been returning to the fold of supporting England since Roy got the job. World Cup was a bit shambles results wise, but I thought we didn't actually play that badly to start, particular against Italy. It was just a step too far for the old crowd (as always) and a step too soon for the newer lot. Great run through for the Euros though.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Sep 2014 22:15

I think there's plenty of cause for optimism as an England fan. The likes of Sterling, Barkley, Chambers, and Shaw are as good as any players their age in their position. Genuinely exciting talents that could become world class given the right development and a bit of luck. We're also seeing a bottom-up approach from the FA which should stand us in good stead going forward.

Of course most will continue to birch and moan because they like bitching and moaning about English football, but I think we're on an exciting path.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 09 Sep 2014 12:30

It will be alright, the new boys will soon be up to speed and we'll get back to our usual habits of getting knocked out of the competitions in the QFs, on penalties.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Sep 2014 17:43

Winchester Royal It will be alright, the new boys will soon be up to speed and we'll get back to our usual habits of getting knocked out of the competitions in the QFs, on penalties.

That's pretty much the right level for us. We're simply not one of the best four nations in the world or even europe and it would be deluded to think we can achieve that consistently. The hope is essentially to have a particularly good few years every now and then.

Hoss

by Hoss » 09 Sep 2014 20:07

Wow!, Wasn't expecting such a positive thread. Me, I love England and with only having another two to three decades max left in this world, would dearly love to see them win something in my lifetime.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 09 Sep 2014 20:19

Don't hold your breath.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 09 Sep 2014 21:26

The think I find difficult about watching England is that it's so rarely an enjoyable experience, perhaps because the pressure is always really high, or the game is a walkover.

In tournaments especially, watching England is like watching a small child carry a tray of drinks, as you wait for that disastrous stumble.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Sep 2014 15:32

I'm a big fan of getting behind and being interested in the national team. Unfortunately I've not had the time to go to games over the last 5-10 years but I used to go occasionally.

I think it's interesting how we manage to stifle players and stop the side being as good as it could be (not a world beating side but one that can have it's good and bad days but play with a lot more freedom and spirit than we've seen at times over the last 15 years).

I wish the media would treat the England team with a more even handed approach and stop the over hyped highs and lows being part of the problem of playing with freedom. This weeks game shows it perfectly in my mind. The build up to the game was all about Hodgson needing to save his job, Rooney being dropped and England being at a low point after the World Cup and a meaningless friendly against Norway. 90 minutes later and we're at the start of a new dawn with an amazing set of young players who can take us forward.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 10 Sep 2014 15:40

on a side note, I thought Rooney was quite impressive in the after match interview (srsly). Spoke well.

Loved Cahill's goalline clearance, Hodgson's reaction to the goals and, well, the result too.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 10 Sep 2014 21:28

LUX on a side note, I thought Rooney was quite impressive in the after match interview (srsly). Spoke well.

Loved Cahill's goalline clearance, Hodgson's reaction to the goals and, well, the result too.

I thought there was some reasonably good football there too.

Albert Spangler
Hob Nob Regular

by Albert Spangler » 11 Sep 2014 08:24

Royal Ginger
dan19 (unfortunately I had to have some "time out" from away games)

Who did you throw plastic furniture at?

I think he invaded the pitch when England played in Holland or summat.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 11 Sep 2014 09:00

Watching England meant everything to me back in the late 90's. I took the games far too seriously though. I cannot tell you now when I last watched England. I didn't bother at all with the World Cup, and don't remember taking an interest in the Euro's before that either, nor did I take much interest in the previous World Cup. It has nothing to do with the always letting us down aspect, I just don't like international football, and more to the point I just don't like the billy big bollocks, all light and glamour England players. In recent years my love for the game has taken a severe kicking. I haven't taken any notice of the Premier League (apart from when we're in it) for a few years now. I would never miss MOTD, I'd always have SSN on when I got in from work... now, neither, ever! I can't even tell you who is in the top six of the Championship. I look at Reading, attend the odd game (having recently given up our season tickets), and that's as far as my interest now goes. I just don't enjoy the modern game or the idiots and all their money playing it any more.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 11 Sep 2014 09:19

SPARTA Watching England meant everything to me back in the late 90's. I took the games far too seriously though. I cannot tell you now when I last watched England. I didn't bother at all with the World Cup, and don't remember taking an interest in the Euro's before that either, nor did I take much interest in the previous World Cup. It has nothing to do with the always letting us down aspect, I just don't like international football, and more to the point I just don't like the billy big bollocks, all light and glamour England players. In recent years my love for the game has taken a severe kicking. I haven't taken any notice of the Premier League (apart from when we're in it) for a few years now. I would never miss MOTD, I'd always have SSN on when I got in from work... now, neither, ever! I can't even tell you who is in the top six of the Championship. I look at Reading, attend the odd game (having recently given up our season tickets), and that's as far as my interest now goes. I just don't enjoy the modern game or the idiots and all their money playing it any more.

....yet contribute by being obsessed by transfer rumours?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 11 Sep 2014 09:20

SPARTA

Most active forum:The Team
(2632 Posts / 54.70% of user’s posts)Most active topic:Confimred new owners of Reading Football Club
(439 Posts / 9.12% of user’s posts)

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 11 Sep 2014 09:26

Big Foot
SPARTA Watching England meant everything to me back in the late 90's. I took the games far too seriously though. I cannot tell you now when I last watched England. I didn't bother at all with the World Cup, and don't remember taking an interest in the Euro's before that either, nor did I take much interest in the previous World Cup. It has nothing to do with the always letting us down aspect, I just don't like international football, and more to the point I just don't like the billy big bollocks, all light and glamour England players. In recent years my love for the game has taken a severe kicking. I haven't taken any notice of the Premier League (apart from when we're in it) for a few years now. I would never miss MOTD, I'd always have SSN on when I got in from work... now, neither, ever! I can't even tell you who is in the top six of the Championship. I look at Reading, attend the odd game (having recently given up our season tickets), and that's as far as my interest now goes. I just don't enjoy the modern game or the idiots and all their money playing it any more.

....yet contribute by being obsessed by transfer rumours?

I take an interest in my club, as stated.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 13 Sep 2014 06:28

I have to say that if, right now, The FA announced that England was withdrawing from all international competitions indefinitely, I'd be somewhere between not bothered at all and slightly happy.

In recent years I've just found myself disliking the overrated underskilled passionless narcissistic shambles more and more and Rooney / Hodgson are the marriage of the types of player and manager I like the least.

The reality is we'll continue to put in embarrassing appearances at tournaments, I'll carry on getting upset when we are a shameful shower of shit and carry on dreaming of an England team we can be genuinely proud of, with solid players filled with dignity and passion, that win something.

So I'm a bandwagon jumper I guess?

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 13 Sep 2014 22:42

When I'm perpetually disappointed, I look to change my expectations.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Sep 2014 12:06

Don't really understand why anyone would dislike Hodgson.