AFC Asian Cup (Australia 2015)

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

AFC Asian Cup (Australia 2015)

by Flyingkiwi » 13 Jan 2015 10:04

The AFC Asian Cup started on friday and we've now been through the first cycle of matches. No huge surprises so far. Aussie waltzing through their opening game (4 - 1 Vs Kuwait) and, currently 3 - 0 up at half-time in their second game Vs Oman. South Korea also had a first-up win (1 - 0 Vs Oman) and, today, picked up a second-round 1 - 0 victory over Kuwait so Group A looks done and dusted. It only remains to be seen who will come first (Aussie, probably) and second.

Group B contained the biggest surprises of round one. China, despite being totally outplayed, nicked a 1 - 0 win off Saudi Arabia and Uzbekistan won by the the same margin over the DPRK. This group is still wide open.

Group C saw the UAE give Qatar a 4 - 1 lesson and saw Iran stroll passed Bahrain 2 - 0. Just from watching round 1, I'd expect the two first round winners to clear away from the other two. Group D had the Japs thump Palestine 4 - 0 and Iraq beating Jordan 1 - 0. Japan will, almost certainly top this group but second place is up for grabs.

The whole tournament looks Aussies to lose, however.

Albert Spangler
Hob Nob Regular

Re: AFC Asian Cup (Australia 2015)

by Albert Spangler » 13 Jan 2015 12:40

What is this nonsense? Australia isn't in Asia and Palestine isn't a country.

And if it was, it would be in UEFA, like Israel.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Jan 2015 18:14

It's more of a country than Wales.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Jan 2015 22:19

Albert Spangler What is this nonsense? Australia isn't in Asia and Palestine isn't a country.

I presume you're taking the piss but just in case you aren't Israel are only in UEFA because half the countries in Asia won't play them.

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 14 Jan 2015 10:38

Today's matches:

Saudi Arabia, who look the team of group B by some distance, dispatched North Korea 4 - 1. They'd be going great guns if they actually had a striker. Nobody seems to want to take the responsibility of shooting (And, perhaps, missing and incurring the wrath of Sheik Rattlenroll). They should have waltzed passed China but, in the end, lost to a late, deflected free-kick (In the process, allowing the Chinese keeper to save the softest penalty I have ever seen in my life).

Currently 75 minutes into the China Vs Uzbekistan. At the moment, it's 2 - 1 to China (Who have just missed a golden chance to make it 3 - 1 and put the game away). China aren't impressing (As usual) but the Uzbeks are really bollocks (Big flap in the Uzbek defence as I type).

Should be China and Saudi getting through from this group. Surprised how bad the North Koreans have been. Dear Leader won't be pleased.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 15 Jan 2015 11:08

This is decent to bet on 8)

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 15 Jan 2015 11:48

Albert Spangler Palestine isn't a country.

Lolwut?!

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 19 Jan 2015 09:00

So...

Aussie lost to the Koreans and go through second. Perversely; this might make qualification easier as they will get China in the first knock-out round and I don't expect the convicts to have any trouble dispatching the chinks. I'd pick the Koreans to have more trouble with the Saudis who were far and away the best team in group B but lacked a striker.

Iran Vs UAE just about to kick off to decide standings in group C (The group is, otherwise, dead) and, tomorrow, we find out who goes through with the nips (Probably behind them in second).

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Jan 2015 12:00

Who are you tipping to win it? I was gonna have a punt on Iran pre-tournament.

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 19 Jan 2015 12:26

Pepe the Horseman Who are you tipping to win it? I was gonna have a punt on Iran pre-tournament.

I still think it's Aussies to lose. They dominated the game against the Koreans but couldn't find a goal.

The Iranians were very average tonight. At times they looked the part but, for a lot of the game, seemed to have no focus. Nicked a 1 - 0 in the 92nd minute to go through top.

The quarters will be...
Korea Vs Uzbekistan (Korea)
China Vs Australia (Australia)
Iran Vs Probably Iraq (Maybe Jordan) (Iran)
Almost certainly Japan Vs UAE (Japan)

I still think we'll see an Aussie Vs Japan final.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Jan 2015 12:58

Iran vs Iraq. Lovely

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 19 Jan 2015 16:06

What are reports like coming from the DPRK regarding their performance in this tournament so far? Have they in fact smashed all before them with the Dear Leader scoring five overhead bicycle kicks?

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 20 Jan 2015 22:04

All quarter-finals confirmed.

1) Korea Vs Uzbekistan (Korea)
2) China Vs Australia (Australia)
3) Iran Vs Iraq (Iran)
4) Japan Vs UAE (Japan)

If all goes as expected, we'll see the winner of Q1 take on the winner of Q3 and the winner of Q2 play the winner of Q4. To start with, the powers that be were, obviously, predicting a Aussie/Japan final but due to Aussies slip-up against Korea, that match-up will, more than likely, occur in the semi-finals. Korea must be reaming it. I can't see anyone stopping them getting to the finals from here (Although I can't see them actually winning it either).

RoyalAuzzie

by RoyalAuzzie » 20 Jan 2015 23:43

Hopefully Aussies will be back to full strength vs the Japs in SF. The footy they've been playing is decent stuff just still too reliant on Cahill to bang them in.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 21 Jan 2015 09:48

Flyingkiwi Iran Vs Iraq

Ooooooh!

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 22 Jan 2015 08:32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t_fuVFk1Ts

Top 5 Asia cup goals according to Korean TV. :wink:

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 22 Jan 2015 12:37

First two quarters go to script. Korea get the better of Uzbekistan (2 - 0. After extra time) and Aussie ease passed China also 2 - 0 (The scoreline should have been much higher but Aussies finishing was, again, out-and-out awful).

Tomorrow we'll see Iran playing Iraq (Iran should be too strong) and Japan Vs UAE (Dubai to force all citizens to spend tonight at mosques, praying for Allah to intercede with a miracle).

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 23 Jan 2015 02:51

Flyingkiwi First two quarters go to script. Korea get the better of Uzbekistan (2 - 0. After extra time) and Aussie ease passed China also 2 - 0 (The scoreline should have been much higher but Aussies finishing was, again, out-and-out awful).

Watched this, you are spot on Australia had 23 shots on goal, 8 on target. Nice bicycle kick from Cahill for the first, although I think the Chinese defender bottled it a bit, if he'd stuck his head in then it would have been a free kick.

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 23 Jan 2015 09:41

First real upset of the tournament see Iraq beat Iran on penalties after a rip-snorter of a game (Far and away the best game of Asian football I've seen). Iran were dominating the game up to the point where they took the lead mid-way through the first half. That seemed to bring the Iraqis to life and they more than held their own for the rest of the match. 1 - 1 at the end of normal time, 3 - 3 after extra time (With Iraq taking the lead twice).

Top match

And now the UAE have just taken the lead against the Japs. Only 7 minutes gone but maybe that praying worked.

EDIT
Allah lost concentration after 80 minutes and the Japs equalised. Extra time about to start. Fair play to the UAE. They soaked up a HUGH amount of pressure and even had a few further opportunities on the counter. It would be interesting to see how many shots the Japs had (Many!!) and the UAE keeper has shown himself to be more than useful.

EDIT 2
And we go to the lottery of penalties. Japs missed their first. Allah may be back.

EDIT 3
UAE get there with first sudden death penalty. The Japs will be committing mass suicide tonight. How they failed to win that with the amount of possession and shots on goal they had is beyond knowing. Aussie will walk into the final now.

RoyalAuzzie

by RoyalAuzzie » 27 Jan 2015 18:23

Aus v S Korea final after both sides beat UAE and Iraq respectively 2-0. Should be an interesting one. The auzzie public are really getting behind the socceroos and this tournament with stadium and TV audiences far exceeding expectations.