46%
No
54%

Total votes: 155
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: What is the point in HRK

by Nameless » 10 Oct 2015 18:50

He'd be a fool to claim he was our best midfielder, can't recall him ever Starting a game in midfield. Unless you are a fan of the bizarre modern belief that a winger is a midfielder....

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 10 Oct 2015 18:59

Please. Check your facts boys.

“Scoring seven goals, I ended up the highest-scoring midfielder in the Premier League in Reading’s history,

I do not hate him. I just do not rate him and there is a big difference.......

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Oct 2015 19:21

Haag Royal Please. Check your facts boys.

“Scoring seven goals, I ended up the highest-scoring midfielder in the Premier League in Reading’s history,

I do not hate him. I just do not rate him and there is a big difference.......

All you have shown is that you misquoted him, he is our highest scoring midfielder in the Premier League, that is a fact, that quote you posted doesn't show him saying he is the best.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 11 Oct 2015 12:09

Nameless He'd be a fool to claim he was our best midfielder, can't recall him ever Starting a game in midfield. Unless you are a fan of the bizarre modern belief that a winger is a midfielder....

Modern?

In a standard British 4-4-2, it always meant four defenders, four midfielders, two attackers.

...and two of those midfielders would be wingers. Why else would there need to be the distinction between midfielder and central midfielder, if by your definition, all midfielders play in the centre?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Oct 2015 13:39

tmesis
Nameless He'd be a fool to claim he was our best midfielder, can't recall him ever Starting a game in midfield. Unless you are a fan of the bizarre modern belief that a winger is a midfielder....

Modern?

In a standard British 4-4-2, it always meant four defenders, four midfielders, two attackers.

...and two of those midfielders would be wingers. Why else would there need to be the distinction between midfielder and central midfielder, if by your definition, all midfielders play in the centre?

Wingers are attacking players. Not midfielders. Glenn Little was a winger, Stephen Quinn plays a wide midfield role.
The 4-4-2 system as used by Alf Ramsey was referred to as 'the wingless wonders' system because it used 4 midfielders and no wingers.
Not sure about the 4 central midfielders point, obviously the midfield can be configured in numerous ways and having 2 central and two wide midfielders is common as is having holding and attacking ones.
But for me a winger is a specific role that is degraded by using it to describe left and right sided midfielders.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 11 Oct 2015 16:05

Nameless
tmesis

Modern?

Wingers are attacking players. Not midfielders. Glenn Little was a winger, Stephen Quinn plays a wide midfield role.
The 4-4-2 system as used by Alf Ramsey was referred to as 'the wingless wonders' system because it used 4 midfielders and no wingers.
Not sure about the 4 central midfielders point, obviously the midfield can be configured in numerous ways and having 2 central and two wide midfielders is common as is having holding and attacking ones.
But for me a winger is a specific role that is degraded by using it to describe left and right sided midfielders.

That's kind of the problem right there.

You've invented your own interpretation which would see the traditional play of a generation ago, where every team had two wingers, as something that ought to be called 4-2-4, whereas everyone else calls it 4-4-2, with the two wide players being wingers taken as read.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 11 Oct 2015 19:02

Nameless
tmesis

Modern?

FFS. What is wrong with you? He describes himself as playing in the midfield.

It's common knowledge that I don't highly rate him, but I do believe that he knows where he plays!!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Oct 2015 20:05

tmesis That's kind of the problem right there.

You've invented your own interpretation which would see the traditional play of a generation ago, where every team had two wingers, as something that ought to be called 4-2-4, whereas everyone else calls it 4-4-2, with the two wide players being wingers taken as read.

To use your own logic, why have the terms wide midfielder' and 'winger' unless they are two different positions ?
Danny Williams and Stephen Quinn have both played as wide midfielders for us but neither have played as wingers.
Glenn Little and Bobby Convet were wingers, not wide midfielders.
It's hardly my interpretation, I bet most people would be able to sort a pile of players into wingers or wide midfielders. It's a pretty easy distinction.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Oct 2015 21:22

tmesis
Nameless
tmesis Modern?

That's kind of the problem right there.

I always thought that the term winger was a throw back to the days of the WM formation and was used to describe the wide players in a front 3. Something like this

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Oct 2015 21:56

Winger is still a pretty common term, unless we've got a few players on our books just in case Clarke wants to revive a few 'heritage' formations !

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 12 Oct 2015 08:47

Ftr, Kebe always used to introduce himself on bbcrb as a midfielder.

Wingers are a type of midfielder, just like central midfielder, attacking midfielder or holding midfielder. It's not particularly complicated.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 12 Oct 2015 09:46

was I a winger or was I an outside right?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Oct 2015 09:58

Extended-Phenotype Ftr, Kebe always used to introduce himself on bbcrb as a midfielder.

Wingers are a type of midfielder, just like central midfielder, attacking midfielder or holding midfielder. It's not particularly complicated.

This this thisity this.

It doesn't mean there isn't a (small) difference between a left midfielder (less attacking, slightly narrower) and a left winger though.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Oct 2015 10:04

Extended-Phenotype Ftr, Kebe always used to introduce himself on bbcrb as a midfielder.

You are obviously wrong ! :wink:

A winger is traditionally a forward. In many countries a winger is still a forward. A winger is essentially an attacking player.

But I will agree that the term has been taken to describe a different role. So what is better described as a wide midfielder is now known in some countries as a winger.

My original point was that describing that wide midfielder as a winger means you lose the subtle difference between a player like Glen Little and one like Stephen Quinn.

We're all kind of right, and if we're wrong it's hardly crucial.

Whether HRK is a winger or midfielder becomes a side issue when he considers his best position as a central striker !!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Oct 2015 10:08

Jesus christ, does it fcuking matter?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Oct 2015 10:16

genome Jesus christ, does it fcuking matter?

Of course not. This is Hob Nob, none of it matters , but doesn't mean you don't get hundreds of pages of crap posted every day.....
None of it is compulsory reading.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Oct 2015 10:20

Does anything really matter?

Something to ponder on a Monday morning.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Oct 2015 10:36

genome Does anything really matter?

Something to ponder on a Monday morning.

Stick it on AE, got to be good for a 20 pager once the usual suspects get their teeth into it.

My opinion is 'maybe'

billybraggsbeard

by billybraggsbeard » 12 Oct 2015 15:07

As Hal states in the interview with the Guardian he does play a different role for Wales, it's been effective, but he still doesn't score.
His best role for us is still out wide chucking decent crosses over.
It was obvious he would work his arse off this season as he is out of contract at the end of it and that will give Hammond a problem as he's going to the euro's which will up his ability to negotiate a better contract
One other thing that came from the interview was the song by the Barry Horns for him

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Oct 2015 15:49

billybraggsbeard As Hal states in the interview with the Guardian he does play a different role for Wales, it's been effective, but he still doesn't score.
His best role for us is still out wide chucking decent crosses over.
It was obvious he would work his arse off this season as he is out of contract at the end of it and that will give Hammond a problem as he's going to the euro's which will up his ability to negotiate a better contract
One other thing that came from the interview was the song by the Barry Horns for him

No mention that we've had a song for him for ages !
Not sure Hammond will have a problem, Clarke has shown he's not scared to let people move on and well enough connected to get better players to replace them.
HRK will have to really put in some effort to make us want to break the bank for him and I suspect we'll be more interested in getting Blackman on a new deal.

881 posts