FIFA

464 posts
Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

Re: FIFA

by Kitsondinho » 27 May 2015 12:39

We will have to wait and see on that, but at least 2 Ex-Co members have already pleaded guilty and I fail to believe that Blatter is somehow not implicated in some way.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 27 May 2015 12:42

Kitsondinho We will have to wait and see on that, but at least 2 Ex-Co members have already pleaded guilty and I fail to believe that Blatter is somehow not implicated in some way.

Agree, but I cant help thinking there is the "Teflon" feel about him.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 27 May 2015 12:47

The Americans will be offering a deal to the first of one out of of those arrested to roll on Sepp, someone gotta do it surely?

And this isn't a sad day for football, this is a good day. Finally.

IF nothing changes at FIFA UEFA & CONCACAF should boycott the world cup until reform happens, football fans will understand.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 27 May 2015 12:54

Stranded It is crazy how much FIFA wants to protect Blatter. Surely the head of any organisation that has incidents of any illegal actions on their watch should be held accountable even if they were not involved themselves. Goes with the job surely?
It does if you head up Tescos and have an accounting error.

On that note, who audits FIFA? - If I was a major audit firm I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

philM

by philM » 27 May 2015 13:14

Forbury Lion
Stranded It is crazy how much FIFA wants to protect Blatter. Surely the head of any organisation that has incidents of any illegal actions on their watch should be held accountable even if they were not involved themselves. Goes with the job surely?
It does if you head up Tescos and have an accounting error.

On that note, who audits FIFA? - If I was a major audit firm I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

FIFA have their own internal audit committee who prepare the audit. Then they get it signed off by KPMG, who have a rich history of corrupt accountants and insider trading prosecutions. FIFA have no statutory obligations to make their financial information public.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 27 May 2015 13:22

However that will all change should any trial be forthcoming. Even if Blatter isn't arrested or called, I'm certain the US Feds will make sure there is nothing left for him.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 May 2015 13:43

Zammo Is there any evidence that Blatter is involved in any wrongdoings at all? Everyone seems to want to take him down. What is it that he is alleged to have done? Where is the evidence?

Fair points Zammo.
In England Blatter has been held up as the person responsible for all the ills of world football and Platini is not far behind in the unpopularity stakes.
Classic Little Englander/Johnny Foreigner stuff where Blatter has had worse Press than Mugabe or any of the other corrupted African leaders-as far as I know Blatter hasn't been responsible for any deaths.
Presumably Brits will want those failures in negotiation, Prince William, Cameron and Beckham to now run FIFA because they are jolly good chaps who can be trusted...not like.............I can't type his name again as he is so evil (allegedly)

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 May 2015 13:45

Oh, is it just the Brits who despise him then?

I don't think powers of negotiation came into it. Do keep up.
Last edited by Royal Rother on 27 May 2015 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 27 May 2015 13:47

Maradona hates him, which might make this the only matter in which Britain and Argentina actually agree. Maybe it will be the kindle that ignites a new era of reconciliation between our great nations.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 May 2015 13:56

Zammo Is there any evidence that Blatter is involved in any wrongdoings at all? Everyone seems to want to take him down. What is it that he is alleged to have done? Where is the evidence?

The words "no smoke without fire" jumps to mind.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 27 May 2015 13:58

Even if he wasn't directly involved, he oversaw this mess and does nothing to prevent it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 May 2015 13:59

Victor Meldrew

Fair points Zammo.
In England Blatter has been held up as the person responsible for all the ills of world football and Platini is not far behind in the unpopularity stakes.
Classic Little Englander/Johnny Foreigner stuff where Blatter has had worse Press than Mugabe or any of the other corrupted African leaders-as far as I know Blatter hasn't been responsible for any deaths.
Presumably Brits will want those failures in negotiation, Prince William, Cameron and Beckham to now run FIFA because they are jolly good chaps who can be trusted...not like.............I can't type his name again as he is so evil (allegedly)

Surely you would agree though that should that Jeffery Webb is found guilty of these charges, then his appointment as the head of FIFA's anti-corruption unit shows that his judgement is at best flawed and in most organisations would make it untenable for him to continue.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 27 May 2015 14:56

The point I was trying to make really is that here is a senile old man who has been in charge of FIFA for donkeys, has seen off members of his own board and out voted seemingly more popular candidates, doesn’t seem to upset the Germans and Brazilians and has yet to be indicted in any wrongdoing. When you are head of such an organisation that is a lot of mouths to keep shut - unless he’s some type of Godfather-like figure.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 27 May 2015 14:58

Zammo The point I was trying to make really is that here is a senile old man who has been in charge of FIFA for donkeys, has seen off members of his own board and out voted seemingly more popular candidates, doesn’t seem to upset the Germans and Brazilians and has yet to be indicted in any wrongdoing. When you are head of such an organisation that is a lot of mouths to keep shut - unless he’s some type of Godfather-like figure.

That final line is exactly what Andrew Jennings implies with his book.

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 27 May 2015 15:50

FiFA has done nothing to discourage "gifts" being given by any individual or group to those who can influence decision making within FIFA, such as Brazil giving £16k watches to officials.

FIFA has suppressed an independent audit report being issued to public.

FIFA decision making has been led by the President's whim to go to places where football is not a major sport or difficult to play.

FIFA President gave an assurance that he would step down and not contest the current elections, well I suppose by not having any rival he is not contesting the election.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 27 May 2015 15:54

And you have to ask the question.

This is FIFA, the governing body of the BIGGEST sport in the world. How can no one be contesting for presidency?

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 27 May 2015 16:05

Andrew Jennings' book is as fascinating as it is infuriating....especially as we are 2 World Cups on from when he obtained most of the material! Virtually everything he reported and predicted is now coming home to roost for Sepp. Bet he wishes he'd retired 4 years ago now!

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 27 May 2015 16:09

Oh Nike, you silly people.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 May 2015 16:10

Royal Rother Oh, is it just the Brits who despise him then?

I don't think powers of negotiation came into it. Do keep up.

I don't tend to read non-English papers and watch non-English TV programmes on a regular basis thus the comments only about our media-are you more widely read on a daily basis?, if so I bow to your greater awareness of the world's Press.and the rest of the world's thinking on Blatter and all things FIFA.
The comment about our negotiating team and their abject failure to negotiate anything but just smile nicely was tongue-in--cheek but you will recall it was just because those nasty foreigners didn't fall for the sickly smiles and the nonentities in the world of political negotiation (especially Cameron) that the dynamic trio failed abysmally.

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 27 May 2015 16:14

Coincidence or what? on the same day FIFA seems ready to implode, smiley, after ragging wars in the Middle East steps, down to concentrate on his more profitable activities such as corruption talks in Nigeria.

Tony Blair quits Middle East envoy role
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32905468

Couple of Teflon chaps to whom nothing ever stuck.

464 posts