Next England Manager

248 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next England Manager

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Jul 2016 22:57

One the one hand a big criticism of England has been a lack of fight and organisation. Allardyce will bring that. On the other hand, England have been criticised for being dull and uninspiring to watch. Err.....

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Jul 2016 06:58

3 key attributes he will bring:

Motivation
Organisation
Discipline

Forget the desire to have some flash Harry who's played, managed and won in Europe, coached a team of billionaire footballers with stupid hairstyles and bimbo wiggywaggies in tow etc.... bring those 3 qualities to the England squad and he'll do well.

I wish him well.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Jul 2016 08:09

Totally agree with the last couple of posts, I think he'll bring a lot of what we need to the table and might just favour the team ethic more than the reputations (which I don't think we've seen enough of since Sven's early days).

Ironically I thought he or O'Neil should've got it to replace Sven back in 2006 and I think he gets a tough press in terms of his playing style so I'm not too bothered by that side of things if he does get it this week. There are lingering question marks about his ability to get the most from top top players, but we've seen how the big name/reputation managers can fail at that for England so he's deserving of the chance IMO.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jul 2016 08:14

Hoop Blah Totally agree with the last couple of posts, I think he'll bring a lot of what we need to the table and might just favour the team ethic more than the reputations (which I don't think we've seen enough of since Sven's early days).

Ironically I thought he or O'Neil should've got it to replace Sven back in 2006 and I think he gets a tough press in terms of his playing style so I'm not too bothered by that side of things if he does get it this week. There are lingering question marks about his ability to get the most from top top players, but we've seen how the big name/reputation managers can fail at that for England so he's deserving of the chance IMO.

I'm pretty happy with his probable appointment, me only concern is that he hasn't really had to deal with the "big name" players before, so there is a question mark over whether he will treat them exactly the same as any other player or fall into the trap others have of having to get Rooney (or A.N.Other) in to the team.

His personality would suggest that he won't but he's never had the chance to manage at the very highest level before (yes I know it's the England job) so would hope he doesn't try to be too "clever" to try and prove himself.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 21 Jul 2016 09:09

Hoop Blah Totally agree with the last couple of posts, I think he'll bring a lot of what we need to the table and might just favour the team ethic more than the reputations (which I don't think we've seen enough of since Sven's early days).

I think there's a strong case to make that England don't have any top top players anymore, so he should be fine.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 21 Jul 2016 09:22

Allardyce?

rofl

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 21 Jul 2016 09:30

Don't scoff. He won the old Div 3 Championship with Notts County.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Jul 2016 09:43

Allardyce. I dunno. There's lots to like - old school English manager, will get respect of players and instil discipline in the side. But in many respects the modern England team isn't a traditional English football team. Some of the current squad might find themselves square pegs in Allardyce's round holes.

Big winner in this is, surely, Mark Noble.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 21 Jul 2016 09:52

Well Fat Sam you appear to be ticking 2 of the 3 C boxes, lets hope you're not clueless as well.

CzechRoyal

by CzechRoyal » 21 Jul 2016 10:32

At least Carroll will get a game :lol:

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 21 Jul 2016 11:13

6ft Kerplunk
Well Fat Sam you appear to be ticking 2 of the 3 C boxes, lets hope you're not clueless as well.

Whooooooooooooooooooooosh

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 21 Jul 2016 11:35

Horrible news. He has been sacked twice because his teams played rubbish football.

We'll get lowest-common denominator football from now on in an era when we will have some of the best players in the world.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Jul 2016 12:08

Sanguine Big winner in this is, surely, Mark Noble.

I don't really get the logic behind that kind of statement, and I've heard it from a few people.

Obviously he played for him etc etc but I'm not sure it will suddenly make him Big Sam's midfield lynchpin when he has everyone else fit to pick from.

Now, if Kevin Nolan were 29 still I could understand those kind of comments about him!

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Jul 2016 12:11

I think only because for many Mark Noble was very unlucky to be overlooked for the Euro 2016 squad, and certainly deserved to go moreso than Henderson or Wilshere. Not saying he's our next England captain, only that it is difficult to imagine, especially since neither of those two covered themselves in glory in France, that Noble will not now be part of the squad.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 21 Jul 2016 12:18

This is a man who saves doomed clubs from relegation on a regular basis. Whatever he instils into those players when he joins them….it’s exactly what is missing from the England set-up. His coaching methods aren’t from your average UEFA training manual are they ??? I do not think for a minute that an Allardyce England side would have lost to Iceland.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Jul 2016 13:26

Handsome Man Horrible news. He has been sacked twice because his teams played rubbish football.

We'll get lowest-common denominator football from now on in an era when we will have some of the best players in the world.

I have the same fears

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Jul 2016 14:19

Sanguine I think only because for many Mark Noble was very unlucky to be overlooked for the Euro 2016 squad, and certainly deserved to go moreso than Henderson or Wilshere. Not saying he's our next England captain, only that it is difficult to imagine, especially since neither of those two covered themselves in glory in France, that Noble will not now be part of the squad.

I'm not sure I subscribe to the Mark Noble love in, and I can certainly see why Hodgson took the players he did instead, but it was quite a widely discussed point when the squad was announced. Really not sure Allardyce is so certain to include him if the likes of Henderson, Wilshire, Dier, Delph and Drinkwater are fit and playing well either, but of course it wouldn't be a major surprise.

http://www.football365.com/news/revealed-sam-allardyces-england-xi

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 21 Jul 2016 16:34

Defoe will be back playing for England

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Jul 2016 21:39

Handsome Man ....we will have some of the best players in the world.

Seriously???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Jul 2016 23:32

Yeah I was chuckling at that as well.

248 posts