Best/Worst Pundit

562 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Best/Worst Pundit

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Dec 2016 16:58

Winston Smith Don't ever listen to pundits tbh. Rarely listen to commentators either, I quite like it with the sound off.

That's tricky when it is a radio commentary.
G Neville and Sutton
Dislikes:-
Savage and Shearer

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Dec 2016 17:00

Always thought Jimmy Hill and Alan Hansen were the best. Alan Shearer isn't too bad from the current bunch.

Trouble is these days there's too much time given over to pre and post match yak and therefore too much opportunity for "pundits" to embarrass themselves by having to fill time answeing the same (and inane) questions from so called presenters.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Dec 2016 18:33

Another honourable mention to Chris Kamara - not only is he funny and entertaining on a Saturday, but he's usually spot on with his analysis on a Sunday.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 15 Dec 2016 20:07

Sutekh Trouble is these days there's too much time given over to pre and post match yak and therefore too much opportunity for "pundits" to embarrass themselves by having to fill time answeing the same (and inane) questions from so called presenters.

This. From the bits I have seen of Neville it's like he is trying too hard to think up something clever sounding and try and make it look like he can see way more than anyone else possibly can.

'Well, you might have thought it was just a 5 yard sideways pass, but what you are not aware of is how it was all planned out and he has now neutralised their reverse wingbacks which allows the defensive in-the-hole number 6 to transition the ball further on, after carrying it towards the opposition territory, while all the while maintaining his shape and sticking to the 4-2-3-1 possession based attack minded defensively aware philosophy of his forefathers'

While saying all of that ^ he is using his wand to drag videos around of Steve Archibald scoring against Everton in 1982, John Barnes drinking a glass of milk in an advert and Dirty Den handing over divorce papers to his wife on Christmas Day, all the while Jamie Carragher stands there saying nothing, nodding his head with an assured look as if to suggest that he knew all of this too.

It was a 5 yard sideways pass Neville you massive bellend

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 15 Dec 2016 21:54

Winston Smith Don't ever listen to pundits tbh. Rarely listen to commentators either, I quite like it with the sound off.

Not sure if it was just my sky box being on the blink or if it was a nationwide problem but I really enjoyed watching the Watford v Everton game at the weekend. I got the crowd noise but no commentators, it was great and brought it home to me how little or not at all other glib obvious comments or pointless statistics add to the watching experience.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Dec 2016 22:05

I swear they used to do that on the red button, you could flick between commentary, fanzone and just crowd noise.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 15 Dec 2016 23:29

genome I swear they used to do that on the red button, you could flick between commentary, fanzone and just crowd noise.

Yup - even in my dotage I can recall the 'crowd only' option - you used to be able to pick & choose the camera angle too.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 16 Dec 2016 07:16

John Motson easily the worst.

He just SHOUTS everything as if it's the most dramatic thing in the world. He's worst than listening the female commentator they used to have on who both sound like someone annoying next to you in the ground who just won't shut up with their ear piercing "opinions" of the game.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 16 Dec 2016 11:32

There is certainly an over-representation of ex Liverpool players as pundits.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 16 Dec 2016 11:44

Finally!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Dec 2016 12:07

Silver Fox Finally!

I was worried that we were going to get to 3 pages before that was said!

Best for me is G. Nev. Also agree with a previous poster who said about Kamara. He is very entertaining on a Saturday but quite insightful on Goals on Sunday - enjoy his work.

Worst, there are quite a few. Merson and Phil Thompson stick out. Can't stand Ian Dowie on Soccer Saturday :evil:

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 16 Dec 2016 21:56

Easy, Michael Owen and worse the king of spiteful nasty cnuts..........Jamie Carragher......f*cking hate him....arrogant know all (he thinks) who has a massive chip on his shoulder about Mancs and Thierry Henry who seemed to embarrass him every time they met. Got a nasty streak in him.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Dec 2016 22:48

bobby1413 John Motson easily the worst.

He just SHOUTS everything as if it's the most dramatic thing in the world. He's worst than listening the female commentator they used to have on who both sound like someone annoying next to you in the ground who just won't shut up with their ear piercing "opinions" of the game.

Do a YouTube search of "Derby Man City Penalty Spot" and watch Motty go into hyperbole overdrive about watching paint dry.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 17 Dec 2016 02:58

michaelowencommentaryistheworst

^^^that's how he talks

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Dec 2016 10:04

Ascotexgunner Easy, Michael Owen and worse the king of spiteful nasty cnuts..........Jamie Carragher......f*cking hate him....arrogant know all (he thinks) who has a massive chip on his shoulder about Mancs and Thierry Henry who seemed to embarrass him every time they met. Got a nasty streak in him.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Dec 2016 19:58

No Fixed Abode Agreed on Owen Hargreaves. When a team goes 1-0 they're the best team in the World ever. When they go 2-1 down they're the most shambolic team ever. I wish he'd look at the bigger picture in a 90 minute football match rather than just sensationalise for a few minutes.

Hadn't paid much attention to Hargreaves till just now but he just doesn't stop saying "exceptional" about almost everything whether it be players, officials or even cups of tea.
Most of his "exceptionals" were directed at players who are from a club in 6th position-what does he find to say about the better teams?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Dec 2016 20:18

Victor Meldrew
No Fixed Abode Agreed on Owen Hargreaves. When a team goes 1-0 they're the best team in the World ever. When they go 2-1 down they're the most shambolic team ever. I wish he'd look at the bigger picture in a 90 minute football match rather than just sensationalise for a few minutes.

Hadn't paid much attention to Any of them
and Shearer has always been a clueless knobjockey who knows nothing outside of the " BIG FOUR"

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Dec 2016 22:10

genome
Ascotexgunner Easy, Michael Owen and worse the king of spiteful nasty cnuts..........Jamie Carragher......f*cking hate him....arrogant know all (he thinks) who has a massive chip on his shoulder about Mancs and Thierry Henry who seemed to embarrass him every time they met. Got a nasty streak in him.

HAHAHA That's brilliant :lol:

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 09 Jan 2017 00:38

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 09 Jan 2017 14:30

Other Good Pundits:
Lee Dixon, Jim Beglin

Worst: