Best/Worst Pundit

562 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Best/Worst Pundit

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Mar 2022 19:48

Loafer There's a commentator from Newcastle who does la liga games and has had some of the best ever lines about football I've ever heard. Normally about Messi

"Call up hogwarts and get this little magician an application, everything he touches turns to magic"

Annoyingly I can't remember his name.

Sid Wadell?

( Yes I know he's dead)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Mar 2022 19:53

Hendo
Winston Biscuit hate it when commentators suddenly raise their voice as a corner is being taken and state something about what might be about to happen. Its done purely for their own benefit as if a goal is scored they have then prefixed a big moment with some amazing statement. cringy

anyway, radio commentary >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> tv commentary.

Radio commentary will always be better than TV commentary as it is much more involved, and this likely to attract a more skilful commentator.

Cricket seems to be the only sport that seems to have parity between TV and radio comms. I think Sky and TMS both offer excellent insight and analysis and are very competent.

Fully agree. Radio commentary is so much more exciting

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 14 Mar 2022 20:05

From Despair To Where?
Loafer There's a commentator from Newcastle who does la liga games and has had some of the best ever lines about football I've ever heard. Normally about Messi

"Call up hogwarts and get this little magician an application, everything he touches turns to magic"

Annoyingly I can't remember his name.

Sid Wadell?

( Yes I know he's dead)

No it's Ray Hudson, found the name. oxf*rd great lines he comes out with.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Mar 2022 16:14

Chris Kamara talking really slowly when they go to his game on Soccer Saturday, like summat's up with him :?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Mar 2022 16:16

Winston Biscuit Chris Kamara talking really slowly when they go to his game on Soccer Saturday, like summat's up with him :?

He's got a thyroid condition, was diagnosed a little while ago

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Mar 2022 16:30

genome
Winston Biscuit Chris Kamara talking really slowly when they go to his game on Soccer Saturday, like summat's up with him :?

He's got a thyroid condition, was diagnosed a little while ago

Ah ok. Just looked that up and it says 'vocal fatigue' is a symptom so makes sense.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 20 Mar 2022 10:20

Kamara has posted up on twitter that, after many people were asking if he was OK, he also now has Apraxia Of Speech.

Must be pretty frightening developing something like that when your job is talking to the public

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Apr 2022 14:49

Kammy leaving Sky :(

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Apr 2022 15:00

That's his singing career fcuked as well.

To be fair, he's always come across as a thoroughly decent bloke.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 30 Apr 2022 15:10

NOOOOOOOO

Always remember his iconic

"Is it a sending off? I don't know Geoff. Thought they were making a sub"

:lol:

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 17 Jun 2022 14:21

Really disappointed and somewhat bemused at Gary Neville's latest episode of The Overlap. I have come to quite like Neville, and he generally says what he thinks and calls things out for being wrong when he see's it, but this latest episode just felt like Neville giving Beckham a platform to promote Qatar without any challenge. I know Neville has spoken out on Qatar before, which made this feel even weirder.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 19 Jun 2022 21:26

From Despair To Where? That's his singing career fcuked as well.

To be fair, he's always come across as a thoroughly decent bloke.

Confimred

Met him in Tenerife and he was lovely.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Oct 2022 14:05

Can someone explain what Ian Wright has been taking/smoking/ingesting/injecting ?

During the England womens game vs US a second 'goal' the the States is ruled out because a US striker was offside at the point the the ball is played forward.

Ian's insightful comment : "That's not what VAR was brought in for"

Er, Ian, it really is.

Yes, it was a great run and a good ball and all that, but it was offside - otherwise Andy Carroll had the two best goals in the Championship last season

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Oct 2022 07:29

Seems to be a lot of SM content over the past few weeks w@nking themselves,silly over Peter Drury, describing him as the GOAT. First there was,Salah's goal against Citeh, now Casimero's goal last night.

He's fcuking shite, a shouty random Partridge quote generator.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 23 Oct 2022 11:15, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Oct 2022 09:32

From Despair To Where? Seems to be a lot of SM content over the past few weeks w@nking themselves,sill over Peter Drury, describing him as the GOAT. First there was,Salah's goal against Citeh, now Casimero's goal last night.

He's fcuking shite, a shouty random Partridge quote generator.

Agreed. :D

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 23 Oct 2022 11:23

His voices throws me as the cadence and tone is so similar to Ned Boulting's and every now and then I start to wonder why Ned is doing football not cycling and why has he gone a bit mental.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Oct 2022 11:38

I always thought the best commentators where you old BBC types like Barry Davies, the sort who had to appear knowledgable and interested in water polo at 5 minutes' notice.

Modern commentators seem too prepped with a database of "Wolstenholme" moments stored up to suck the sponteneity out of every moment.

"MILLIMETRES IN A MATCH OF MARGINS"

Poetry apparently. Never before has such poetry been spoken. Without the suffix "sub 6th form"
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 23 Oct 2022 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 23 Oct 2022 11:47

From Despair To Where? I always thought the best commentators where you old BBC types like Barry Davies, the sort who had to appear knowledgable and interested in the world stare out championship at 5 minutes' notice.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 23 Oct 2022 13:53

6ft Kerplunk
From Despair To Where? I always thought the best commentators where you old BBC types like Barry Davies, the sort who had to appear knowledgable and interested in the world stare out championship at 5 minutes' notice.

...I think it was 'Motty' who was once quoted as saying there were three vital pieces of info a football commentator had to ensure was conveyed to the listener on a regular basis - the score; how long was left and who has the ball (& where) - or something suchlike? :?

... and I think he was referring to something he was taught by a revered BBC elder (maybe Ken W.?) much with 'less is more' in mind. (no pun)

I'm sure I've posted before that the supreme example of exceptional commentary for me, would be in the 'flannelled fools' arena .... and dear old John Arlott
- who certainly on TV would let the game play out in front of the viewers without the need for a constant flood of mindless tangential facts/opinions.

Nowaday it appears those who follow the latter approach of verbal overload - seem to be held up as an example of the finest
- I can't see how anyone can put up with Sam 'Makesupfacts' Matterpace and that other idiot Darke - there have been times when the game would have been in progress for several minutes (or it seems that way) until they deign to tell you the score or what is actually happening in front of them ! :evil:

...I watched Newcastle v Everton this week on Amazon - they sub-contract their commentary teams from other broadcasters - but cut the sound as soon as I heard that burbling *&^% Townsend as co-commentator - felt sorry for Pien Meulensteen who'd been given the lower-key gig alongside him - she sounded less than enthralled. :mrgreen:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Oct 2022 14:01

Motty's not the best example really. I remember him once having an orgasm over someone painting the penalty spot.

The whole point of having your "Wolstenholme" moment is that his big moment was unscripted, off the cuff and absolutely captured the whole moment.

It's why his commentary is remembered and Hugh Johns' "Can Hurst make it 3, he has, he has" isn't.

562 posts