Best/Worst Pundit

562 posts
Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Best/Worst Pundit

by Whore Jackie » 24 Oct 2022 12:43

Got to say I agree with all the points on Peter Drury, but I still prefer him to Motson. Dreadful commentator, still baffles me that the Beeb gave him so more games than Barry Davies. Or maybe there was a reason that Motty only ever commentated on football, whereas Davies was equally adept at tennis, athletics, Olympics etc.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Oct 2022 13:47

Whore Jackie Got to say I agree with all the points on Peter Drury, but I still prefer him to Motson. Dreadful commentator, still baffles me that the Beeb gave him so more games than Barry Davies. Or maybe there was a reason that Motty only ever commentated on football, whereas Davies was equally adept at tennis, athletics, Olympics etc.

Agree with this, though I like Motty always thought Davies was the superior commentator.

Think Martin Tyler was thoroughly decent as well.

Really can't stand Jonathan Pearce, makes Motty seem rather sedate by comparison, and never understood why Brian Moore was lauded as a commentator. And just why is Gary Lineker employed by anyone?

Always thought the late Jimmy Armfield was the best pundit by a country mile, usually had something interesting to say and could break down and explain play and tactics easily. These days media seems to just wheel out "pundits" based on the fact that at some point they've played for one or both of the clubs playing or it seems to fill somebody's diversity quotient somewhere.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 24 Oct 2022 15:25

Sutekh Always thought the late Jimmy Armfield was the best pundit by a country mile, usually had something interesting to say and could break down and explain play and tactics easily.

"I saw what happened there"
Armfield was excellent as the radio co-commentator.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 24 Oct 2022 21:52

Because I'm an old fart, I used to love Peter Jones radio commentary on radio2 in the 70s and early 80s when I was a kid.
Listening to the radio in the dark winters nights especially in the 70s, he used to set the scene for games like no-one else. Loved it.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 24 Oct 2022 22:34

Ascotexgunner Because I'm an old fart, I used to love Peter Jones radio commentary on radio2 in the 70s and early 80s when I was a kid.
Listening to the radio in the dark winters nights especially in the 70s, he used to set the scene for games like no-one else. Loved it.

Used to love Stuart Hall’s summaries of games on the radio but it is the equivalent of owning a Gary Glitter/Michael Jackson record now, they might sound okay but best not mention it.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Oct 2022 12:08

6ft Kerplunk
Sutekh Always thought the late Jimmy Armfield was the best pundit by a country mile, usually had something interesting to say and could break down and explain play and tactics easily.

I liked Graham Taylor as pundit on the radio.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 27 Oct 2022 13:13

leon
6ft Kerplunk

Great shout, he was excellent. Always found it slightly odd how few managers get invited to TV stuff. A few years ago one of the terrestrial channels had Tony Pulis doing some the WC or Euro games and he was surprisingly good. Thought Sean Dyche was quite interesting on Monday Night Football. Not so much on the game itself, but his philosophy when he goes into a club, his pride that Burnley's community team/coaches had expanded from 1 to 150-odd in the decade he was there and how he always questions young aspiring coaches who seek his advice and just 'want to play the football the right way'.

As an aside, find it quite shocking how bad BT Sport's coverage is these days. Jake Humphrey has just got worse and worse. It's just all about him, and he gets nothing incisive from the pundits. His performance and buy-in of the UEFA cover up at the CL final was shocking. Admittedly Rio, Crouch and Fara Williams are pretty banal, but you feel Mark Chapman or Pougatch would get far more, and have been worthier replacements when Lineker left.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Oct 2022 14:31

Whore Jackie
leon
6ft Kerplunk "I saw what happened there"

Great shout, he was excellent. Always found it slightly odd how few managers get invited to TV stuff. A few years ago one of the terrestrial channels had Tony Pulis doing some the WC or Euro games and he was surprisingly good. Thought Sean Dyche was quite interesting on Monday Night Football. Not so much on the game itself, but his philosophy when he goes into a club, his pride that Burnley's community team/coaches had expanded from 1 to 150-odd in the decade he was there and how he always questions young aspiring coaches who seek his advice and just 'want to play the football the right way'.

As an aside, find it quite shocking how bad BT Sport's coverage is these days. Jake Humphrey has just got worse and worse. It's just all about him, and he gets nothing incisive from the pundits. His performance and buy-in of the UEFA cover up at the CL final was shocking. Admittedly Rio, Crouch and Fara Williams are pretty banal, but you feel Mark Chapman or Pougatch would get far more, and have been worthier replacements when Lineker left.

Jake Humphrey is a personality void. File under Dan "My faith makes me a better journalist" Walker.

I'll be honest I thought they were the same person for some time.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 27 Oct 2022 15:53

leon Jake Humphrey is a personality void. File under Dan "My faith makes me a better journalist" Walker.

I'll be honest I thought they were the same person for some time.

Yep, type of person who would empty a pot noodle into a proper bowl to eat it.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Oct 2022 17:37

:lol:

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 27 Oct 2022 21:51

Just listened to Dion Dublin on the Quickly Kevin podcast...he was really good value.

Loads of funny anecdotes and you could tell the lads were enjoying the interview as well

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Oct 2022 18:44

leon
6ft Kerplunk

2 very good calls. Armfield was peerless on the radio. Read and understood the game exceptionally well and had a wonderful way with words.

Was always hugely impressed by Taylor's little tactical masterclasses. There's something about radio that creates some fantastic commentators.

Stuart Hall was great but, err, let's not go there.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Oct 2022 12:15

From Despair To Where?
leon
6ft Kerplunk "I saw what happened there"

2 very good calls. Armfield was peerless on the radio. Read and understood the game exceptionally well and had a wonderful way with words.

Was always hugely impressed by Taylor's little tactical masterclasses. There's something about radio that creates some fantastic commentators.

Stuart Hall was great but, err, let's not go there.

David Pleat was also good. Such a shame his car was so slow. :?

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 07 Mar 2023 12:39

Ally McCoist won Pundit of the Year, at last night's British Sports Journalism Awards. Mark Chapman, Presenter of the Year and John Murray, Commentator of the Year. All well-deserved IMO.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 07 Mar 2023 13:17

Whore Jackie Ally McCoist won Pundit of the Year, at last night's British Sports Journalism Awards. Mark Chapman, Presenter of the Year and John Murray, Commentator of the Year. All well-deserved IMO.

what, nothing for Jamie O Hara?!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Mar 2023 13:29

Or Sam Matterface?! :o

Although they are playing fast and loose with the word "journalist" seeing as that prick Piers Morgan picked up scoop of the year with his Ronaldo interview :roll:

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Mar 2023 13:33

Hendo Or Sam Matterface?! :o

Although they are playing fast and loose with the word "journalist" seeing as that prick Piers Morgan picked up scoop of the year with his Ronaldo interview :roll:

WHAT? I thought it was toe-curlingly cringey.

Funny how he didn't have the balls to ask Ronnie about the sexual assault allegations that were levelled against him. I'd have thought a hard-hitting "journalist" like Piers would have had the courage to do so.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 07 Mar 2023 14:38

WRTTOP - bored of Carra + Neville now. Time for some new blood.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Mar 2023 14:47

They are decent imo.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 07 Mar 2023 14:57

They're fine when its not a Man U v Liverpool weekend.

I like McCoist but find him a bit too much of a fan sometimes. I love that he's so enthusiastic about the game but I like a co-commentator to give a little bit of tactical insight rather than just getting excited.

562 posts