Weekend Football

5738 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Weekend Football

by NathStPaul » 27 Feb 2023 10:23

URZZZZ
From Despair To Where? Potter gets sacked. You are the Leicester or West Ham chairman. What do you do?

Depends how quickly the clubs want success

In the end, transformed Brighton into a fairly industrious, rigid style under Hughton to a free flowing style easy on the eye. But it came at a consequence of finishing 15th and then 16th in his first two seasons. Not all fanbases are so patient

Although I think Chelsea would be mad to sack him at his stage anyway. Write the season off and start again next season. Similar alarm bells for Arteta a couple of years back I’m sure?

The alternative is to play some of the worst football ever seen at the club and lose more often than not which I cannot see being allowed to happen. Their supporters are too entitled to put up with that shit and the owner is too inexperienced to not jump the gun. Potter was more or less doomed from the start, totally the wrong job for him.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Feb 2023 10:37

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
From Despair To Where? Potter gets sacked. You are the Leicester or West Ham chairman. What do you do?

In the end, transformed Brighton into a fairly industrious, rigid style under Hughton to a free flowing style easy on the eye. But it came at a consequence of finishing 15th and then 16th in his first two seasons. Not all fanbases are so patient

Although I think Chelsea would be mad to sack him at his stage anyway. Write the season off and start again next season. Similar alarm bells for Arteta a couple of years back I’m sure?

The alternative is to play some of the worst football ever seen at the club and lose more often than not which I cannot see being allowed to happen. Their supporters are too entitled to put up with that shit and the owner is too inexperienced to not jump the gun. Potter was more or less doomed from the start, totally the wrong job for him.

Didn’t think they were too bad yesterday, just a real lack of a cutting edge in the box. There’s something there to work with and Chelsea’s scatter approach of firing and hiring managers so far has hardly brought long term success

Must say though, not signing a striker was odd. And seems to be a bit of a recurring theme under Potter who relied on the underperforming Maupay and Welbeck for too long at Brighton

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Feb 2023 10:54

URZZZZ
NathStPaul
URZZZZ

Didn’t think they were too bad yesterday, just a real lack of a cutting edge in the box. There’s something there to work with and Chelsea’s scatter approach of firing and hiring managers so far has hardly brought long term success

Must say though, not signing a striker was odd. And seems to be a bit of a recurring theme under Potter who relied on the underperforming Maupay and Welbeck for too long at Brighton

By contrast though, how long do you stick with an underperforming manager for? At least with Arsenal Arteta wasn't making them significantly worse whereas Chelsea are losing their European status altogether at the moment.

Potter's football has always been good between both boxes, but that's been his (and by extension Chelsea's) problem as well, they lack a cutting edge in the box. All good technical and creative players with a real lack of ruthlessness.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 Feb 2023 10:56

URZZZZ Finer details make up the opportunity to win silverware. I thought Newcastle gave it a good go but Shaw put in a superb freekick for the opener and Trippier didn’t quite hit the same levels. Second goal fell nicely for United whereas it never really fell all game for Newcastle

Isn't this about where Newcastle are at now?
They went 2-0 down against Liverpool and then after Pope was sent off "bravely"? battled on without scoring.
Yesterday went 2-0 down and "bravely" battled on.

In both circumstances Liverpool and Man Utd probably took their foot off the gas as often happens when the lead is 2-0.

As for the League Cup and Europa League it's not so long ago that Man Utd fans derided both competitions (didn't they introduce the mocking chant of "Thursday night, channel 4" to some opposition?)-this season it looks as though they are their 2 main targets.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 Feb 2023 10:56

YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ
NathStPaul The alternative is to play some of the worst football ever seen at the club and lose more often than not which I cannot see being allowed to happen. Their supporters are too entitled to put up with that shit and the owner is too inexperienced to not jump the gun. Potter was more or less doomed from the start, totally the wrong job for him.

By contrast though, how long do you stick with an underperforming manager for? At least with Arsenal Arteta wasn't making them significantly worse whereas Chelsea are losing their European status altogether at the moment.

Potter's football has always been good between both boxes, but that's been his (and by extension Chelsea's) problem as well, they lack a cutting edge in the box. All good technical and creative players with a real lack of ruthlessness.

I don't think that money spent on Enzo Fernandez was well placed, they didn't really need him. They should have gone with that money to knock on Napoli's door for Victor Osmihen who really does look the real deal.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Feb 2023 11:09

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ

I don't think that money spent on Enzo Fernandez was well placed, they didn't really need him. They should have gone with that money to knock on Napoli's door for Victor Osmihen who really does look the real deal.

Possibly, he's obviously a good player though is Fernandez and they might have known ahead of time that Jorginho was leaving and needed someone else in midfield. It does seem a bit strange that they didn't sign a more natural goalscorer, I suppose the clubs' argument will be that they signed Felix who operates up top, like Havertz, and that they should, in theory, have goals spread across their forward thinking players.

You'd imagine there would be enough quality between Havertz, Felix, Mudryk, Madueke, Sterling, Mount, Pulisic, Ziyech etc to get enough goals to win games, even against the big boys. It's only what the likes of Man City and Liverpool have done over the last few seasons up until recently, they've been successful without a recognised natural number 9 that scores goals, but have managed to have goals across various players (Liverpool being a bit more extreme as Salah has generally scored a lot of goals).

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Feb 2023 12:09

YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ
NathStPaul The alternative is to play some of the worst football ever seen at the club and lose more often than not which I cannot see being allowed to happen. Their supporters are too entitled to put up with that shit and the owner is too inexperienced to not jump the gun. Potter was more or less doomed from the start, totally the wrong job for him.

Arsenal were 15th after 14 games in Arteta’s first full season. That is significantly worse!

Anyway, the rot started some time ago under Tuchel. They were top in December (14 months ago) and ended up finishing 18/19 points respectively behind the top two. They started this season poorly (hence the change) and by all accounts, Tuchel had fallen out with the squad

No particular timeframe for giving managers’ time as long as they show a willingness to learn from mistakes and adapt. If Potter can’t do that, then he should be out but too early to tell at this stage IMO

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Feb 2023 12:13

South Coast Royal
URZZZZ Finer details make up the opportunity to win silverware. I thought Newcastle gave it a good go but Shaw put in a superb freekick for the opener and Trippier didn’t quite hit the same levels. Second goal fell nicely for United whereas it never really fell all game for Newcastle

Isn't this about where Newcastle are at now?
They went 2-0 down against Liverpool and then after Pope was sent off "bravely"? battled on without scoring.
Yesterday went 2-0 down and "bravely" battled on.

In both circumstances Liverpool and Man Utd probably took their foot off the gas as often happens when the lead is 2-0.

As for the League Cup and Europa League it's not so long ago that Man Utd fans derided both competitions (didn't they introduce the mocking chant of "Thursday night, channel 4" to some opposition?)-this season it looks as though they are their 2 main targets.

Possibly but I do think there’s been an element of luck going against Newcastle these last couple of games. Nunez scoring when he’s blazed so many wide/over in other games, offside decisions just going against them, soft free kick for the opener yesterday before the deflection landing perfectly for Rashford

No mean feat only losing two games all season. Bit of depth in the squad (not having to bring on the likes of J.Murphy and Ritchie) and they’ll be right up there next season again

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Feb 2023 12:15

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ

Arsenal were 15th after 14 games in Arteta’s first full season. That is significantly worse!

Anyway, the rot started some time ago under Tuchel. They were top in December (14 months ago) and ended up finishing 18/19 points respectively behind the top two. They started this season poorly (hence the change) and by all accounts, Tuchel had fallen out with the squad

No particular timeframe for giving managers’ time as long as they show a willingness to learn from mistakes and adapt. If Potter can’t do that, then he should be out but too early to tell at this stage IMO

But if Arsenal sacked Arteta after that time then we'd all be saying they were daft as well. If they were 15th after 30 or so games into the season, then I don't doubt they'd have made the change then.

I agree though, they've been poor for a while and that extends to Tuchel. The concern is they've not really kicked on under Potter, they had a good first 10-ish games or so but have been poor ever since.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Feb 2023 19:24

And whilst on the subject of Newcastle, I'm sick and tired of their fans saying that they havent had success for decades. I seem to remember a bloke called Pardew getting them to 5th 10 years ago and nearly into the CL. Hardly starved. With less money does that make Pardew as good as Howe?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Feb 2023 20:10

Ascotexgunner And whilst on the subject of Newcastle, I'm sick and tired of their fans saying that they havent had success for decades. I seem to remember a bloke called Pardew getting them to 5th 10 years ago and nearly into the CL. Hardly starved. With less money does that make Pardew as good as Howe?

Agree, since winning the FA Cup in 1955, Newcastle have won division 2 four times, the Fairs/UEFA Cup in 1969, Intertoto Cup in 2006 and the Anglo-Italian Cup in 1974 plus the Texaco Cup in 1975. Lastly they were league runners up in 1996 and 1997 as well so not too bad for a starvation diet for a non-big 4/5/6 club..

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 28 Feb 2023 15:37

oof! :lol:

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 01 Mar 2023 07:31

Winston Biscuit

oof! :lol:

Could easily get the N changed to an M :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Mar 2023 21:55

It was only Everton but boy did Arsenal play some stuff tonight.

Similar style to Man City but just that little bit more direct I feel. Lack of experience of the pressure that comes with top spot could yet be their undoing I suppose but they are great to watch. But I would imagine Arteta won’t be entirely happy despite winning 4-0 because Ramsdale did have to make 2 or 3 superb saves.

Yes, they probably need to expand the squad a bit - particularly to bring in a CD a bit better than Gabriel - but their average age is a fair bit lower than City’s so they could be around for a while at this level.

Different roles but Saka, Odegaard and Partey are on a level with KDB.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Mar 2023 09:03

I was surprised to see Arsenal 5 points clear at the top considering City clinched the title 2 weeks ago

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 02 Mar 2023 12:22

Also it appeared that there's no need to bother with the rest of the FA Cup as Matterface gave the trophy to Man United last night.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Mar 2023 12:34

Looking forward to nobody watching ITV when Grimsby beat them in the final

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 Mar 2023 13:05

What a sh*t FA Cup QF draw

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Mar 2023 13:58

Serves them right for playing last 16 ties in midweek

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 02 Mar 2023 19:04

6ft Kerplunk Also it appeared that there's no need to bother with the rest of the FA Cup as Matterface gave the trophy to Man United last night.

A big step towards their Mickey treble.

5738 posts