Weekend Football

5739 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Weekend Football

by Sanguine » 09 Jan 2024 07:56

BRO_BOT
Sanguine https://twitter.com/collinabanter/status/1744200504379351464

Arguably a Liverpool bias behind the creation of this clip, but nevertheless it deals with facts. It is the inconsistency of referees' use of rules on dissent that makes them so maddening. Players arms flailing, gesticulating, shouting at the referee, throwing the ball away - and yet only one of the four results in a booking.

Dalot got sent off for doing what Odegard did on the second one

Yep. And Van Dijk sent off for just saying things that the ref didn't happen to like.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Jan 2024 10:13

Sanguine
BRO_BOT
Sanguine https://twitter.com/collinabanter/status/1744200504379351464

Arguably a Liverpool bias behind the creation of this clip, but nevertheless it deals with facts. It is the inconsistency of referees' use of rules on dissent that makes them so maddening. Players arms flailing, gesticulating, shouting at the referee, throwing the ball away - and yet only one of the four results in a booking.

Yep. And Van Dijk sent off for just saying things that the ref didn't happen to like.

When was that ?
This season ?
If so, the only red for VVD i can remember was against Newcastle and that was for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity

Or have I missed another one ?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Jan 2024 11:48

Franchise FC
Sanguine
BRO_BOT

When was that ?
This season ?
If so, the only red for VVD i can remember was against Newcastle and that was for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity

No, same incident although I got muddled - the red card was for denying a goalscoring opportunity, but he got an extra game ban for his 'enquiry' to the referee. Referee John Brooks felt 'insulted'.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jan 2024 14:31

Sanguine
Franchise FC
Sanguine

When was that ?
This season ?

No, same incident although I got muddled - the red card was for denying a goalscoring opportunity, but he got an extra game ban for his 'enquiry' to the referee. Referee John Brooks felt 'insulted'.

Sure a number of players and managers must have felt equally 'insulted' by some of the farcical VAR decisions so far this season, don't seem to see too many of those referees getting immediate bans and suspensions.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jan 2024 16:48

Winston Biscuit
WestYorksRoyal When you see players try and stay on their feet and mess up their cross / shot because they've been knocked off balance, 95% of the time the ref gives nothing. They need to be rewarded for staying on their feet

hugely disagree, and I feel that is part of the problem of where football has gone. Its a contact sport, making the opponent go off balance because you are trying to get the ball is fine. If you can't even do that then its just a non contact sport.

WestYorksRoyal Penalties are also obscenely valuable. There is virtually nothing a player can do in open play to create a better chance. So why bother trying when you can go down and win a penalty? Even if it's soft, it's worth the odds. I'm not suggesting changing the rules for indirect free kicks, just saying it like it is. Comes back to refs giving the penalty even if they stay on their feet; take away the incentive.

Agree that an issue has now been created where penalties are given so easily but have a high value and can often end up deciding the game. Needs a rethink imo, with indirect free kicks being one reasonable solution

Well no, because it's the type of contact that is an offence.

You wouldn't give a foul for shoulder to shoulder where someone loses balance, because shoulder to shoulder is fine. You would give a foul for a lunged challenge that isn't an attempt to play the ball that makes the player stumble, if there is no advantage to be played.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Jan 2024 17:20

Off topic, but what happened to the instant yellows for dissent? Lasted like two weeks.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Jan 2024 22:42

1 billion pounds

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 09 Jan 2024 22:51

Who allowed the EFL cup semifinal non event to be over two legs?

I was about to feel all warm inside about Chelsea going out to Middlesbrough, but they still have the home leg to go :|

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Jan 2024 22:56

LUX Who allowed the EFL cup semifinal non event to be over two legs?

I was about to feel all warm inside about Chelsea going out to Middlesbrough, but they still have the home leg to go :|

Ha yep, wasn't until the last 5 mins I realised there was another leg.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Jan 2024 08:16

Pepe the Horseman

Ha yep, wasn't until the last 5 mins I realised there was another leg.

Agree. The big sides go on about the "hardship" of having to play a replay in the FA Cup which the authorities seem only too happy to go along with to cheapen that competition as much as possible yet this 2 leg easily droppable waste of time persists.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Jan 2024 08:51

Pepe the Horseman Off topic, but what happened to the instant yellows for dissent? Lasted like two weeks.

As I said above, and much like the supposed 'crackdown' on pushing and shoving in the box at set pieces, it lasted only a few weeks because PGMOL soon realised they'd be sending off two or three players every match. Back then, referees realised they didn't want to send off Martin Skrtel every game.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Jan 2024 08:52

Whilst only a first leg, this is apparently the first time in 18 :shock: semi-final ties that Thiago Silva has been on the losing side.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Jan 2024 09:11

Based on Chelsea's recent performances, I don't think it'll matter all too much... :wink:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Jan 2024 09:13

I'll say it again, Nunez must be doing this on purpose. Two more efforts last night went inches wide, two more hit the keeper in the face/groin. Just wide, or straight at the keeper. It's uncanny.

Tbf to Nunez he made a difference when he came on, he's a handful of a player. Just can't finish.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Jan 2024 09:25

Sanguine I'll say it again, Nunez must be doing this on purpose. Two more efforts last night went inches wide, two more hit the keeper in the face/groin. Just wide, or straight at the keeper. It's uncanny.

Tbf to Nunez he made a difference when he came on, he's a handful of a player. Just can't finish.

reckon he should go the way of Joelinton, as in, recognise that he has talent but just not in finishing, so don't play him as far up the pitch in the future to see how he gets on?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Jan 2024 09:35

Winston Biscuit
Sanguine I'll say it again, Nunez must be doing this on purpose. Two more efforts last night went inches wide, two more hit the keeper in the face/groin. Just wide, or straight at the keeper. It's uncanny.

reckon he should go the way of Joelinton, as in, recognise that he has talent but just not in finishing, so don't play him as far up the pitch in the future to see how he gets on?

He certainly looked dangerous coming in from the left flank. Gave Castagne all sorts of problems, which few attackers have this season.

Both ties all to play for though, Fulham will fancy their chances under the lights at the Cottage.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Jan 2024 09:38

Also, enjoyed David Coote calling Andreas Pereira's bluff. Pereira was rolling around like he'd been shot, for the second time in the match, so Coote called the Fulham physios on swiftly. The player clocked it and tried to get up, but ref told him to go off the field, and then waited a good 45 seconds or so before allowing him back on. Well played, ref.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 11 Jan 2024 14:16

Sanguine Also, enjoyed David Coote calling Andreas Pereira's bluff. Pereira was rolling around like he'd been shot, for the second time in the match, so Coote called the Fulham physios on swiftly. The player clocked it and tried to get up, but ref told him to go off the field, and then waited a good 45 seconds or so before allowing him back on. Well played, ref.

Shame he can't spot dangerous tackles.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 13 Jan 2024 13:16

Can't remember seeing a worse decision than that Leicester penalty decision. The guy clearly got the ball way ahead of the attacker.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Jan 2024 18:08

Cracking game at St James'.

5739 posts